dirkpitt
Are they still running the Whiz Kids League this spring/summer and what teams are invited this year?
Quote 0 0
kingston1
Horlick
Riverside
Eisenhower
Sheb North
Sussex
St Cats
Men Falls
Milw Luth
Vincent
Washigton
Tosa East
Dominican
Quote 0 0
afan1
Can you detail the WIAA rule that deals with the limit of players from one school.
"The name All-Northwest itself means something to readers of the Leader-Telegram." ?

DO JUSTICE, LOVE MERCY, WALK HUMBLY
Quote 0 0
travis12
a fan wrote:


Can you detail the WIAA rule that deals with the limit of players from one school.


The WIAA scrapped their "60%" rule not long after they came out with it last fall. That was where a team couldn't be made up of more than 60% of kids from one school during the school year, and that the players on the court couldn't be more than 60% from the same school. As of right now, I believe it's back to the ambiguous "cannot resemble" rule with no teeth to the rule and virtually no way to interpret or enforce it.
Brock Michael Wilson -- 6/30/2011; 9 lbs, 13 oz & 21 in

10/22/2010 -- 598,210 pageviews for WSN

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/travisWSN

#DBWH
Quote 0 0
afan1
pistolpetefan23 wrote:


a fan wrote:


Can you detail the WIAA rule that deals with the limit of players from one school.


The WIAA scrapped their "60%" rule not long after they came out with it last fall. That was where a team couldn't be made up of more than 60% of kids from one school during the school year, and that the players on the court couldn't be more than 60% from the same school. As of right now, I believe it's back to the ambiguous "cannot resemble" rule with no teeth to the rule and virtually no way to interpret or enforce it.


During the summer is treated totally different than during the school year, correct ?
I remember lots of WIAA debate within the membership and asking the WIAA staff for clarification. Has the rule been changed or are they just not enforcing it?
Why have rules if one selectively enforces? How is a school to know what will get them in trouble or what will not ?


"The name All-Northwest itself means something to readers of the Leader-Telegram." ?

DO JUSTICE, LOVE MERCY, WALK HUMBLY
Quote 0 0
travis12
a fan wrote:


pistolpetefan23 wrote:


a fan wrote:


Can you detail the WIAA rule that deals with the limit of players from one school.


The WIAA scrapped their "60%" rule not long after they came out with it last fall. That was where a team couldn't be made up of more than 60% of kids from one school during the school year, and that the players on the court couldn't be more than 60% from the same school. As of right now, I believe it's back to the ambiguous "cannot resemble" rule with no teeth to the rule and virtually no way to interpret or enforce it.


During the summer is treated totally different than during the school year, correct ?
I remember lots of WIAA debate within the membership and asking the WIAA staff for clarification. Has the rule been changed or are they just not enforcing it?
Why have rules if one selectively enforces? How is a school to know what will get them in trouble or what will not ?




Exactly why I and others have lobbied for the WIAA to get rid of such an arcane rule. How can you prevent kids to gather and play outside of any kind of school supervision? That is just dumb.

As far as the rule the way it is currently? As vague as it is I can't see the WIAA ever enforcing it, as there's no way to stand behind it or even define it. The "60% rule" was a way for the WIAA to clarify it, but many felt it put an undue burden on kids to know the rule and how it applied, on volunteer coaches to not only make sure a team isn't violating a rule but also the lineup on the floor, and more. Some coaches chose to follow the rule last year, some did not. I haven't heard of anyone being disciplined for it though.
Brock Michael Wilson -- 6/30/2011; 9 lbs, 13 oz & 21 in

10/22/2010 -- 598,210 pageviews for WSN

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/travisWSN

#DBWH
Quote 0 0
afan1
Modification and clarification of the rule seems to be a move in a reasonable direction.
Elimination of the rule altogether has consequences the membership has repeatedly
stated through the years is contrary to the purpose of this Association.
Allowing school teams to voluntarily assemble at anytime during the school year
would, quite conceivably, have a great deal of divisiveness associated with it. There already
has been a member school that is considering a policy prohibiting participation in any
nonschool sports during a particular sport?s school season.

Coaches within schools are in competition
for the same athletes, who are playing in
a nonschool program at the same time they
are competing for the school program in a
different sport. One could first question the
merits of this on the physical well-being of a
young athlete, and second, on the well-being
of a young student.

In addition, expectations and pressures
placed on student-athletes to specialize in a
given sport year around is more likely with
the risk of future consequences associated
with not fulfilling those expectations.
An untimely nonschool event that entices
a standout teammate away from the
school team in a different sport during the
season or tournament could jeopardize the
entire team?s goals of winning a conference
title or a trip to the State Tournament. The
student-athlete carries the pressure and burden
of making that decision and its affect on
friendships and teammates, coaches and parents.
Eliminating the rule would also compromise
the Association?s position on national
tournaments. If a team chooses to ?voluntarily?
assemble after the State Tournament for
a national tournament, the rules in place prohibiting
competitions of this nature may become
futile.

The leadership of the WIAA encourages
membership feedback on the current language
and interpretation of its out-of-season
competition provisions, its modifications or its
elimination. We look forward to these discussions
throughout the coming months at
Coaches? Advisory and Area Meetings next
fall.

FROM [link=http://www.madisonsoccercentral.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=574:concerns-abound-over-wiaa-rule&catid=47:news&Itemid=72]THIS[/link] EDITORIAL


"The name All-Northwest itself means something to readers of the Leader-Telegram." ?

DO JUSTICE, LOVE MERCY, WALK HUMBLY
Quote 0 0
YoungEze42_old
Top players from each school

Racine Horlick - Davontae Mullen (5'10 Guard), Corbyn Thornton (6'1 Guard)
Milwaukee Riverside - Jeremy Gordon (6'3 Forward), Rashad Brown (6'0 Guard), Josh Gee (6'1 Guard)
New Berlin Eisenhower - Zach Tranchita (6'1 Guard), Mitch Sperka (6'3 Forward)
Sheboygan North - Tanner Daugherty (6'1 Guard), Derek Van Calligan (5'10 Guard)
Sussex Hamilton - Kameron Cerroni (6'2 Guard), Brett Meinecke (6'2 Guard), Brian Gryszkiewicz (6'1 Guard)
Racine St.Catherine's - Steve McWhorter (6'2 Guard), Chris Souter (5'10 Guard)
Menomonee Falls - J.P. Tokoto (6'5 Guard/Forward), Jalen McCloud (5'7 Guard), C.J. Malone (5'10 Guard), J.P Phillips (6'5 Forward)
Milwaukee Lutheran - Anthony Jones (6'0 Guard), Garrett Wenzelberger (6'6 Forward), Will Arberry (6'3 Forward), Eric Ward (6'1 Guard), Julius Wanyoike (6'5 Forward)
Milwaukee Vincent - Xavier Tipton (5'8 Guard), Phillip Nolan (6'8 Center), Darrin Moore (6'0 Guard), Chris Polk (6'4 Forward)
Milwaukee Washington - Quevyn Winters (6'3 Guard/Forward), Terry Taylor (5'8 Guard), John Cathey-Maclin (6'7 Forward), Tony Mayfield (5'7 Guard), Domonique Williams (6'5 Forward)
Wauwatosa East - Matty Patton (6'0 Guard), D.J Cupertino (6'0 Guard), Dan Sayles (6'3 Forward)
Whitefish Bay Dominican - Jamall Taylor (6'0 Guard), Mikael Luter (6'4 Forward), Darrell Bowie (6'4 Forward), Iman Johnson (6'2 Guard)
HIT THE GROUND RUNNIN'!!!
Quote 0 0
alumni14
Here's an update on the Whiz Kids league, these records are going INTO tonights games.

Orange Division
Sussex Hamilton 4-0
Milw. Riverside 3-1
Eisenhower 2-2
Sheboygan North 2-2
Racine St. Cat's 2-2
Racine Horlick 1-3

White Division
Menomonee Falls 4-0
Milw. Washington 4-0
Milw. Lutheran 1-3
Milw. Vincent 1-3
Tosa East 0-4
Dominican 0-4

Sussex Hamilton played Milwaukee Washington and beat them to get to 5-0. Washington fell to 4-1. Falls was up early against Horlick.
@Chad_Seely
Quote 0 0
wissportsnet

Boys Basketball Alumni Round-up: February 21st, from @ColtonWilson23 #wisbb -- https://t.co/0K6CZzZWpf https://t.co/715tfpBGVS

wissportsnet

WSN15: Boys Basketball Top Teams #12 -- Two NCAA Division I players at one WIAA Division 4 school = state champions… https://t.co/1MThqzce9L

wissportsnet

Predicting winners of every state wrestling title plus a look By The Numbers, from @Nate_Woelfel -… https://t.co/HgU1bLP7d6

wissportsnet

Join the free Boys Basketball Playoff Pick 'Em Contest; Staff picks coming Tuesday #wisbb -- https://t.co/Y6yTA3OgP8 https://t.co/hA6Uyw9uje