Badgerfan1171_old Show full post »
bb211
Badgerfan1171 wrote:


Thanks again for all of the help. I recently received news that my decision has been postponed - not waitlisted - Can any of you guys tell me how this will affect my housing situation. I am assuming that Smith, Ogg, and Liz Waters are all out of the question for me now and unfortunately those would probably be my top three choices.


I'd say that affects your college decision more than your housing situation. I've got a link that should help with where you're at and what you need to do to increase your chances to be accepted, but I wouldn't make housing my top priority at this point:

[link=http://www.admissions.wisc.edu/images/UW_Postponed_Applicant_FAQ.pdf]http://www.admissions.w...tponed_Applicant_FAQ.pdf[/link]
You are not smarter than your favorite team's upper management, so stop trying to be.
Quote 0 0
tweb1216
hoopsgalore wrote:


jmac533 wrote:


Since when has anyone ever had a party in the dorms more than like 10 ppl... you go elsewhere to party anyways so why does that matter.



Haha, my exact thoughts. Any dorm can be a "party" dorm. You just sit in there to pregame.


not always, I had to meet with 20 kids who were drinking in the bathroom and throwing pumpkins out the window on the 9th floor. That was interesting


"Son, what are you doing sleeping in my daughter's dormroom?"
-"Uhhhhh, i got to go, im late for class."
-"Its Saturday morning."
-"Then im really late for class. Where are my pants?"
Quote 0 0
Badgerfan1171_old
They ask postponed students for their semester grades. That is why my senior year gpa is very important. My cumulative GPA is 3.81 and my ec's are pretty impressive. Unfortunately my ACT is pretty low for Madison, (24) but I do know people that have been accepted with 24's as recently as last year so I am still hopeful.

I am a three sport athlete and have earned all conference honors in two of those, along with team captain.

I am president of the student council and vice president of my class. I am also president of S-club and FBLA vice president. I have been involved in musicals and have a job. The past few summers I have spend about two or three days a week (two hours at a time) volunteering at our local St. Vincent De Paul. I am also a member of FFA although not very active. I am also a NHS member.


Quote 0 0
wis.gator_old
Wow, that's a lot of stuff.
PSN: wisgator
Quote 0 0
jimmyq1
I hope you get in. Looking back on it, I took going to UW for granted. It was a great school, a great time, and Madison is an awesome place to spend a few years. Too bad the local economy is too small to allow all of us to stay there and have careers in the areas we are interested in

Quote 0 0
bb211
Badgerfan1171 wrote:


They ask postponed students for their semester grades. That is why my senior year gpa is very important. My cumulative GPA is 3.81 and my ec's are pretty impressive. Unfortunately my ACT is pretty low for Madison, (24) but I do know people that have been accepted with 24's as recently as last year so I am still hopeful.

I am a three sport athlete and have earned all conference honors in two of those, along with team captain.

I am president of the student council and vice president of my class. I am also president of S-club and FBLA vice president. I have been involved in musicals and have a job. The past few summers I have spend about two or three days a week (two hours at a time) volunteering at our local St. Vincent De Paul. I am also a member of FFA although not very active. I am also a NHS member.


Your class rank might be a little iffy. Idk what it is so I could be wrong, but they look at class rank and standardized test scores before GPA, so if you're at 3.8 but barely in the top 25% or something that'd be a red flag for them.
You are not smarter than your favorite team's upper management, so stop trying to be.
Quote 0 0
crusaderpride
Admissions is so unpredictable, I read the College Confidential forums from time to time, just cause I'm curious about how the school is viewed and whatever, and some of the stories in their decision thread are baffling. Kids with 34s on their ACTs and a ton of activities being turned down, just weird. And then you see some of the stupid stuff that people who did get in get up to and it really makes you wonder.

Quote 0 0
Cullen_old
Badgerfan1171 wrote:


Thanks again for all of the help. I recently received news that my decision has been postponed - not waitlisted - Can any of you guys tell me how this will affect my housing situation. I am assuming that Smith, Ogg, and Liz Waters are all out of the question for me now and unfortunately those would probably be my top three choices.


you too?? lol.
I also got postponed. I have a 3.85 cumulative GPA, 28 act, but a class rank 8 of 36. My graduating class is easily the most competitive ever from my high school. I think six of my classmates have applied to UW. I am class president, vice president in a school organization, and a member in two more clubs. I have a good number of community service hours, and a ton of work experience. I have never been in an admissions office, but I am going to guess they put a lot more emphasis on class rank over GPA. I am just going to cross my fingers that i get in! if i do happen to get in i am hoping for Ogg, Witte, Smith, or Sellery.
Shullsburg Miner Football
Quote 0 0
Badgerfan1171_old
BB21 wrote:


Badgerfan1171 wrote:


They ask postponed students for their semester grades. That is why my senior year gpa is very important. My cumulative GPA is 3.81 and my ec's are pretty impressive. Unfortunately my ACT is pretty low for Madison, (24) but I do know people that have been accepted with 24's as recently as last year so I am still hopeful.

I am a three sport athlete and have earned all conference honors in two of those, along with team captain.

I am president of the student council and vice president of my class. I am also president of S-club and FBLA vice president. I have been involved in musicals and have a job. The past few summers I have spend about two or three days a week (two hours at a time) volunteering at our local St. Vincent De Paul. I am also a member of FFA although not very active. I am also a NHS member.


Your class rank might be a little iffy. Idk what it is so I could be wrong, but they look at class rank and standardized test scores before GPA, so if you're at 3.8 but barely in the top 25% or something that'd be a red flag for them.


I forgot to mention my class rank. I attend a very small school (coincidently the same one as Cullen.) We do have a very competitive class, in fact I would have been Salutatorian of the previous two graduating classes with my GPA. I am ranked 9 out of 36 in the 2010 graduating class. I expressed this in my essay and our counselor discussed this with the admissions office, but the explanations did not seem to help. Both Cullen and I have worked extremely hard through high school and would be devastated if not admitted.
Quote 0 0
mrmike527
Badgerfan1171 wrote:


BB21 wrote:


Badgerfan1171 wrote:


They ask postponed students for their semester grades. That is why my senior year gpa is very important. My cumulative GPA is 3.81 and my ec's are pretty impressive. Unfortunately my ACT is pretty low for Madison, (24) but I do know people that have been accepted with 24's as recently as last year so I am still hopeful.

I am a three sport athlete and have earned all conference honors in two of those, along with team captain.

I am president of the student council and vice president of my class. I am also president of S-club and FBLA vice president. I have been involved in musicals and have a job. The past few summers I have spend about two or three days a week (two hours at a time) volunteering at our local St. Vincent De Paul. I am also a member of FFA although not very active. I am also a NHS member.


Your class rank might be a little iffy. Idk what it is so I could be wrong, but they look at class rank and standardized test scores before GPA, so if you're at 3.8 but barely in the top 25% or something that'd be a red flag for them.


I forgot to mention my class rank. I attend a very small school (coincidently the same one as Cullen.) We do have a very competitive class, in fact I would have been Salutatorian of the previous two graduating classes with my GPA. I am ranked 9 out of 36 in the 2010 graduating class. I expressed this in my essay and our counselor discussed this with the admissions office, but the explanations did not seem to help. Both Cullen and I have worked extremely hard through high school and would be devastated if not admitted.


I would say you're in.
Quote 0 0
Badgerfan1171_old
BB21 wrote:


Badgerfan1171 wrote:


Thanks again for all of the help. I recently received news that my decision has been postponed - not waitlisted - Can any of you guys tell me how this will affect my housing situation. I am assuming that Smith, Ogg, and Liz Waters are all out of the question for me now and unfortunately those would probably be my top three choices.


I'd say that affects your college decision more than your housing situation. I've got a link that should help with where you're at and what you need to do to increase your chances to be accepted, but I wouldn't make housing my top priority at this point:

[link=http://www.admissions.wisc.edu/images/UW_Postponed_Applicant_FAQ.pdf]http://www.admissions.w...tponed_Applicant_FAQ.pdf[/link]


Trust me I am making every attempt possible to become a Badger. Housing certainly is not the biggest priority right now, but it is certainly something I am concerned about. Thank you for the link, but I received that in the mail. Right now I would consider my top dorm choices (barring my admission decision) Witte and Sellery.

Although this is irrelevant to the topic, does anyone know of ways I can increase my chances of being admitted now that I am on the postponement list? Thus far in my senior year I have a 4.0 GPA so semester grades will not be an issue. I am in the process of developing a relationship with my admission counselor, but do not want to become an annoyance. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Quote 0 0
wis.gator_old
Badgerfan1171 wrote:


Thus far in my senior year I have a 4.0 GPA so semester grades will not be an issue.


4.0 for your senior year? What's your cumulative? ACT score? Extra curricular activities?


Isn't Madison banking on more out-of-state students? They may want that extra revenue.


PSN: wisgator
Quote 0 0
wissportsnet

Boys Basketball Alumni Round-up: February 21st, from @ColtonWilson23 #wisbb -- https://t.co/0K6CZzZWpf https://t.co/715tfpBGVS

wissportsnet

WSN15: Boys Basketball Top Teams #12 -- Two NCAA Division I players at one WIAA Division 4 school = state champions… https://t.co/1MThqzce9L

wissportsnet

Predicting winners of every state wrestling title plus a look By The Numbers, from @Nate_Woelfel -… https://t.co/HgU1bLP7d6

wissportsnet

Join the free Boys Basketball Playoff Pick 'Em Contest; Staff picks coming Tuesday #wisbb -- https://t.co/Y6yTA3OgP8 https://t.co/hA6Uyw9uje