db11 Show full post »
htownfball43_old
Green Day and Nirvana are the two most overrated bands of all time.
"You've just been tomahawked! That's my new show, Tomahawked."
Quote 0 0
twista05
DB wrote:


Twista_05 wrote:


Wizzler wrote:


Twista_05 wrote:


DB wrote:


The other thread got me thinking about this. Here's the Rolling Stone list...[link=http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/31248926/100_best_songs_of_the_decade/27]http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/31248926/100_best_songs_of_the_decade/27[/link] ...but let's hear what the folks of Wissports think is the Song of the 00's.

Now this doesn't necessarily have to be your favorite song or anything, it can simply be a song you feel conveys something about this decade.

Now, after years of thinking, and without further ado...DB's song of the decade is....

*drumroll*

*envelope*





"Float On" by Modest Mouse.

Frontman Isaac Brock perhaps said it best, "I was just kind of fed up with how bad [stuff] had been going, and how dark everything was, with bad news coming from everywhere...I just want to feel good for a day."

To me, the song itself embodies the laissez-faire attitude that has permeated the youth of America this decade while they are being bombarded with constant bad news about how screwed their future looks to be. Most just turn a deaf ear and float through their lives...for better or for worse.


off the top of my head, without evein thinking about it, and without reading your post, I thought of "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" by Green Day.


That is disgusting.

I can get behind "float on" though.


Not even on my music on my computer, not a tune of my liking really, but can you think of any other song that describes this decade better? Not only has there been a severe increase in cases of depression, but with the terrorist attacks and our country "walking alone" and being the only ones to fight. Everyone may not agree with the war on terror, but the fact remains it is happening, and we're the only country in it. Why are we in it? Because terrorists threaten the "American dream" whatever that dream may be for each and every individual. More and more women are deciding to forsake the "housewife" image that was built for them in the early 90's, and they feel extremely discriminated in a "man's world". Everyone is walking alone it seems... Why would you say that's disgusting?


Yeah, the one I chose, and for the exact reasons I stated...I just don't think BoBD fits what you described outside of the "walking alone" (alienation, a long-time musical theme) part...Also, the guy who wrote it is not likely to write a song calling attention to the "political correctness" of the war on terror.

Then again, maybe the song of the decade should be one ripped off from another, since that's become such a popular practice...and BoBD fits that category perfectly.

Also, the bolded sentence has me checking my calendar, because that sounds like a description of the 1950's, and things are nowhere near the way they were for women back then.


Just something I came [link=http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/girleffect?v=info&ref=nf]across[/link] that supports my argument.
Quote 0 0
wizzler
Twista_05 wrote:


DB wrote:


Twista_05 wrote:


Wizzler wrote:


Twista_05 wrote:


DB wrote:


The other thread got me thinking about this. Here's the Rolling Stone list...[link=http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/31248926/100_best_songs_of_the_decade/27]http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/31248926/100_best_songs_of_the_decade/27[/link] ...but let's hear what the folks of Wissports think is the Song of the 00's.

Now this doesn't necessarily have to be your favorite song or anything, it can simply be a song you feel conveys something about this decade.

Now, after years of thinking, and without further ado...DB's song of the decade is....

*drumroll*

*envelope*





"Float On" by Modest Mouse.

Frontman Isaac Brock perhaps said it best, "I was just kind of fed up with how bad [stuff] had been going, and how dark everything was, with bad news coming from everywhere...I just want to feel good for a day."

To me, the song itself embodies the laissez-faire attitude that has permeated the youth of America this decade while they are being bombarded with constant bad news about how screwed their future looks to be. Most just turn a deaf ear and float through their lives...for better or for worse.


off the top of my head, without evein thinking about it, and without reading your post, I thought of "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" by Green Day.


That is disgusting.

I can get behind "float on" though.


Not even on my music on my computer, not a tune of my liking really, but can you think of any other song that describes this decade better? Not only has there been a severe increase in cases of depression, but with the terrorist attacks and our country "walking alone" and being the only ones to fight. Everyone may not agree with the war on terror, but the fact remains it is happening, and we're the only country in it. Why are we in it? Because terrorists threaten the "American dream" whatever that dream may be for each and every individual. More and more women are deciding to forsake the "housewife" image that was built for them in the early 90's, and they feel extremely discriminated in a "man's world". Everyone is walking alone it seems... Why would you say that's disgusting?


Yeah, the one I chose, and for the exact reasons I stated...I just don't think BoBD fits what you described outside of the "walking alone" (alienation, a long-time musical theme) part...Also, the guy who wrote it is not likely to write a song calling attention to the "political correctness" of the war on terror.

Then again, maybe the song of the decade should be one ripped off from another, since that's become such a popular practice...and BoBD fits that category perfectly.

Also, the bolded sentence has me checking my calendar, because that sounds like a description of the 1950's, and things are nowhere near the way they were for women back then.


Just something I came [link=http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/girleffect?v=info&ref=nf]across[/link] that supports my argument.


Yeah because that rivals suffrage or Job discrimination in the 60's.


Quote 0 0
twista05
Wizzler wrote:


Twista_05 wrote:


DB wrote:


Twista_05 wrote:


Wizzler wrote:


Twista_05 wrote:


DB wrote:


The other thread got me thinking about this. Here's the Rolling Stone list...[link=http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/31248926/100_best_songs_of_the_decade/27]http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/31248926/100_best_songs_of_the_decade/27[/link] ...but let's hear what the folks of Wissports think is the Song of the 00's.

Now this doesn't necessarily have to be your favorite song or anything, it can simply be a song you feel conveys something about this decade.

Now, after years of thinking, and without further ado...DB's song of the decade is....

*drumroll*

*envelope*





"Float On" by Modest Mouse.

Frontman Isaac Brock perhaps said it best, "I was just kind of fed up with how bad [stuff] had been going, and how dark everything was, with bad news coming from everywhere...I just want to feel good for a day."

To me, the song itself embodies the laissez-faire attitude that has permeated the youth of America this decade while they are being bombarded with constant bad news about how screwed their future looks to be. Most just turn a deaf ear and float through their lives...for better or for worse.


off the top of my head, without evein thinking about it, and without reading your post, I thought of "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" by Green Day.


That is disgusting.

I can get behind "float on" though.


Not even on my music on my computer, not a tune of my liking really, but can you think of any other song that describes this decade better? Not only has there been a severe increase in cases of depression, but with the terrorist attacks and our country "walking alone" and being the only ones to fight. Everyone may not agree with the war on terror, but the fact remains it is happening, and we're the only country in it. Why are we in it? Because terrorists threaten the "American dream" whatever that dream may be for each and every individual. More and more women are deciding to forsake the "housewife" image that was built for them in the early 90's, and they feel extremely discriminated in a "man's world". Everyone is walking alone it seems... Why would you say that's disgusting?


Yeah, the one I chose, and for the exact reasons I stated...I just don't think BoBD fits what you described outside of the "walking alone" (alienation, a long-time musical theme) part...Also, the guy who wrote it is not likely to write a song calling attention to the "political correctness" of the war on terror.

Then again, maybe the song of the decade should be one ripped off from another, since that's become such a popular practice...and BoBD fits that category perfectly.

Also, the bolded sentence has me checking my calendar, because that sounds like a description of the 1950's, and things are nowhere near the way they were for women back then.


Just something I came [link=http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/girleffect?v=info&ref=nf]across[/link] that supports my argument.


Yeah because that rivals suffrage or Job discrimination in the 60's.


:-D
Quote 0 0
dkelly28
htownfball43 wrote:


Green Day and Nirvana are the two most overrated bands of all time.


I'll counter that by saying Lil Wayne and Kanye are two of the most overrated artists of all time.
WSN'er since 2002! 2006 Wissports Hall of Fame Inductee.
Quote 0 0
twista05
I completely forgot about this [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBVfVbOsVD0&feature=related]song,[/link] but none can top it.
Quote 0 0
brewcitylegend
Not a fan of bumping threads, but this is something I've been diving into for a few weeks now....

First, I can get behind "My Immortal" and "Float on" without a problem, as well as any of Rolling Stone's selections from Coldplay.

However, my top song of the decade, which didn't even make their top 100, is "Where is the love?" by Black Eyed Peas.

Beat = check. Great message = double check. Name band = check.

I've gone back and listened to it once a day for the past two weeks, and I'm sorry. It is such a high quality song - from the beat, to the lyrics to the delivery. It's not very rock, but it's not very hip hop. But it says a lot. It is a very motivational song, and a very "think about big picture things for a change" message.

So that gets my vote. But again, how any list can leave off "My Immortal" or any RHCP song, regardless of good or bad, is not a good list.

Lady Gaga made it, but Lil Wayne's "Lollipop" wasn't up there? That thing was No. 1 on the charts for months on end. Adele won awards. Rolling Stones the magazine is as overrated as the band. (ba da ching!) GO BEATLES!
"Hero's will be remembered, but Legends never die..."-The Sandlot
Brew City Legend: est. 2003
-WSN Hall of Fame Class of 2005 (Inaugural Class)
Quote 0 0
LLegend4eva_old
[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujZsFOGT-Ko&feature=player_embedded]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujZsFOGT-Ko&feature=player_embedded[/link]

This song came out in the late 2009's and barely makes this list. So, understandably it hasn't got much exposure to become one of the best songs. It's just a matter of time before everyone sees how great this song is. Could also be nominated for the decades best music video.
Quote 0 0
MBC2K4_old
Dang, had it been made a year later the Thong Song would've had this honor all wrapped up... that's about how bad of a decade this was for music.
CURRENT RING COUNT
MBC2K4: 0
LeBron James: 0

I AM THE CHOSEN ONE!!!
Quote 0 0
MWarrior2008_old
[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AWbgkRpYwc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AWbgkRpYwc[/link]


Song and band of the decade.
Those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter

You can't keep a good man down

You got haters? Good. It means you stood up for something -Eminem
Quote 0 0
wissportsnet

Boys Basketball Alumni Round-up: February 21st, from @ColtonWilson23 #wisbb -- https://t.co/0K6CZzZWpf https://t.co/715tfpBGVS

wissportsnet

WSN15: Boys Basketball Top Teams #12 -- Two NCAA Division I players at one WIAA Division 4 school = state champions… https://t.co/1MThqzce9L

wissportsnet

Predicting winners of every state wrestling title plus a look By The Numbers, from @Nate_Woelfel -… https://t.co/HgU1bLP7d6

wissportsnet

Join the free Boys Basketball Playoff Pick 'Em Contest; Staff picks coming Tuesday #wisbb -- https://t.co/Y6yTA3OgP8 https://t.co/hA6Uyw9uje