mickjagger
Atlanta Braves skipper Brian Snitker has been named the N.L. Manager of the Year by the Baseball Writers Association of America.  Snitker garnered 116 points and 17 first-place votes.  Brewers mgr, Craig Counsell finished 2nd  with 99 points and 11 first-place votes.

Oakland's Bob Melvin was named A.L. Manager of the year.

Full Story & Vote Totals:
http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/bob-melvin-brian-snitker-win-manager-of-the-year-awards/ar-BBPGhAr

One has to wonder, even though the voting is supposed to be based on regular season performance, just how much Counsell's post-season, unorthodox handling of his pitching staff (not always successfully in the NLCS) cost him votes in this contest ...
Wisconsin Sports Network Hall of Fame Inductee, 2012
Quote 0 0
db11
Isn't the voting done before the playoffs though?
https://twitter.com/barwickipedia - Follow me. Because we all need a bit of sports snark in our lives.

"Doin' right ain't got no end."
-The Outlaw Josey Wales
Quote 0 0
blade12
db11 wrote:
Isn't the voting done before the playoffs though?


Voting is supposed to be done before the playoffs start.

As you know, I was not a fan of Counsell for MOY during the year but he did do a good job in winning the NLC and getting into the playoffs although wasn't the playoffs, as a wild card at least, somewhat expected? Snitker had a team that was not expected to be very competitive and won the division by 8 games.  Had the Brewers won the NL Central by 8 games Counsell would have won it. 

Who in the world gave Maddon a 1st place vote??  That guy should be banned from baseball.
Quote 1 0
roadkill1
Were many expecting the BEST record in the NL and a Division Title for the Brewers?

If they were, they failed to predict it, almost everything I read picked the Brewers for third place in the division.
"So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold
Quote 0 0
thecrackerjack
blade12 wrote:


Voting is supposed to be done before the playoffs start.

As you know, I was not a fan of Counsell for MOY during the year but he did do a good job in winning the NLC and getting into the playoffs although wasn't the playoffs, as a wild card at least, somewhat expected? Snitker had a team that was not expected to be very competitive and won the division by 8 games.  Had the Brewers won the NL Central by 8 games Counsell would have won it. 

Who in the world gave Maddon a 1st place vote??  That guy should be banned from baseball.


By who?

I didn't see one prediction that had the Brewers winning the NL Central and finishing with the best record in the NL. They overachieved just like the Braves, and did it against a much tougher division. 
Fear of the unknown is the greatest fear of all.
- Yvon Chouinard

@miedent 
Quote 1 0
blade12
roadkill1 wrote:
Were many expecting the BEST record in the NL and a Division Title for the Brewers?

If they were, they failed to predict it, almost everything I read picked the Brewers for third place in the division.


Expecting the best record and a div title for the Brewers - NO.  Age old question, did the Brewers do what they did because of Counsell or because they had a 1st half MVP performance from Aguilar and a monster second half and MVP season performance from Yelich?  

Where was Atlanta predicted to finish and again they won their division by 8 games.

You can't argue Snitker as the winner. He deserves it.
Quote 0 0
blade12


By who?

I didn't see one prediction that had the Brewers winning the NL Central and finishing with the best record in the NL. They overachieved just like the Braves, and did it against a much tougher division. 


After missing the playoffs by a game or 2 last year you didn't have higher expectations for this year?
Quote 0 0
baker18

The sole reason Snitker won was preseason expecations. Did the brewers exceed expectations, yes an no. THey were not predicted to win the division, but they were predicted to contend for a playoff spot. Atlanta on the other hand was coming off a 71 win season and was not expected to contend for playoffs. Not only did they improve by 20 wins as opposed to the Brewers improving by 11, but they won a division that was expected to go down to Nats and Phils. The award is voted on before post season begins and based on preseason expectations, the Braves exceeded more which is why Snitker takes it.

 

THe real question comes down to the MVP tonight. Last time I saw voting on Tuesday, both Baez and Yelich were tied in total points. The question is will they base the award off the entire body of work or not. I exepect Yelich to win the award based on coming so close to a triple crown. WHat the voters are also looking at is that he had a historic sept to earn those stats. Take a look at his stats on Aug 31 before sept began and both Baez and Arenado had better numbers. I know MVP is not all about numbers, but voters look at many things in the process. THat is why Bean got GM of the year also

Quote 0 0
formerwiacbaseballer
blade12 wrote:

Who in the world gave Maddon a 1st place vote??  That guy should be banned from baseball.

Just like the guy that gave Arenado a 9th Place Vote on his NL MVP ballot?
"Let's Play Two!!!"

Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

"There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."
Quote 0 0
hirschey76
How can you say Yelich and Baez were tied ? Votes were in after regular season.
Quote 0 0
blade12

Just like the guy that gave Arenado a 9th Place Vote on his NL MVP ballot?


Yes, same for those guys that gave Arenado 6th 7th 8th and 9th place votes. 

Can't wait to catch up with Cubs fans and how they justify on social media that Aguilar finished ahead of Rizzo because Rizzo is definitely a better pepper player.

https://bbwaa.com/18-nl-mvp/
Quote 0 0
mickjagger
db11 wrote:
Isn't the voting done before the playoffs though?
I believe everyone agrees the post-season awards are, in theory, based on regular season performances.

 If, in fact, the voting is done right after the regular season,  why does it take until almost Thanksgiving for the winners of said awards to be announced ?  Afterall, the World Series ended on 10/28/18.

I'm not so sure the voting is done immediately following the regular season. I have a suspicion the voting is done following the World Series because of the timing of the announcement the awards.
Wisconsin Sports Network Hall of Fame Inductee, 2012
Quote 0 0
mickjagger
Christian Yelich named N.L. MVP, receiving 29 of 30 1st-place votes.

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/news/mlb-news-season-awards-national-league-mvp-most-valuable-player-milwaukee-brewers-christian-yelich-wins/8blxrq8sexw81u4e686txupre
Wisconsin Sports Network Hall of Fame Inductee, 2012
Quote 0 0
wissportsnet

Boys Basketball Alumni Round-up: February 21st, from @ColtonWilson23 #wisbb -- https://t.co/0K6CZzZWpf https://t.co/715tfpBGVS

wissportsnet

WSN15: Boys Basketball Top Teams #12 -- Two NCAA Division I players at one WIAA Division 4 school = state champions… https://t.co/1MThqzce9L

wissportsnet

Predicting winners of every state wrestling title plus a look By The Numbers, from @Nate_Woelfel -… https://t.co/HgU1bLP7d6

wissportsnet

Join the free Boys Basketball Playoff Pick 'Em Contest; Staff picks coming Tuesday #wisbb -- https://t.co/Y6yTA3OgP8 https://t.co/hA6Uyw9uje