travis12
I apologize this one is so late today. This will be a short one, only going until 10 am tomorrow. It is in honor of the recent announcement that Donald Fehr will retire.

Who is the worst person in sports (non-athlete) and why?
Brock Michael Wilson -- 6/30/2011; 9 lbs, 13 oz & 21 in

10/22/2010 -- 598,210 pageviews for WSN

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/travisWSN

#DBWH
Quote 0 0
alandoamazing
Selig is not my Bud.

Extremely late in addressing the steroids era. That it even happened is a shame. Among many other things including years of horrible baseball in Milwaukee.

Oh, and it isn't Wednesday by the way haha.
A pessimist is always alone. An optimist is always just two people away from a threesome.
Quote 0 0
FHS5479_old
Scott Boras. With the way he keeps dealing, the MLB will have to put in a cap so small market teams don't get screwed over when teams like Boston, both New York teams as well as others, spend rediculous amounts of money that small market teams can never afford.
Always remember the 25th of December(for more then 1 reason)

Winona St. Softball! 34-11
Winona St. Baseball! 32-14
Quote 0 0
crusaderpride
Gary Bettman may be the person who has done the least for his sport. He oversaw the NHL during a crippling strike that devastated the fan base and exchanged a solid TV deal (ESPN) for a mediocre one (VERSUS). During this year's playoffs two game 7s ?were scheduled at the exact same time. He is immensely disliked even by devoted hockey fans.

Quote 0 0
alandoamazing
crusaderpride wrote:


Gary Bettman may be the person who has done the least for his sport. He oversaw the NHL during a crippling strike that devastated the fan base and exchanged a solid TV deal (ESPN) for a mediocre one (VERSUS). During this year's playoffs two game 7s were scheduled at the exact same time. He is immensely disliked even by devoted hockey fans.

I'm confused, isn't this a great thing? Why waste great programming time (college basketball) on Hockey? This is a fantastic event in many people's minds.
A pessimist is always alone. An optimist is always just two people away from a threesome.
Quote 0 0
travis12
Alando=Amazing wrote:


Selig is not my Bud.

Extremely late in addressing the steroids era. That it even happened is a shame. Among many other things including years of horrible baseball in Milwaukee.

Oh, and it isn't Wednesday by the way haha.


I'm sorry, I have to address this.

1) There would be no team in Milwaukee if not for Bud Selig. He is the sole reason the Brewers exist.

2) Selig was powerless to do anything about steroids, based on the union having too much power.

3) Selig had a great record during his time as owner of the Brewers from 1970 to 1998. Remember the great teams of the late 70's and early 80's? Even the late 80s/early 90s teams were solid. It was his daughter, Wendy Selig-Prieb, who was the owner and president during the horrible years around the new millenium.

4) Again, THERE WOULD BE NO MILWAUKEE BREWERS WITHOUT BUD SELIG!!

And this doesn't even take into account all the good things he's done as commissioner during his tenure.
Brock Michael Wilson -- 6/30/2011; 9 lbs, 13 oz & 21 in

10/22/2010 -- 598,210 pageviews for WSN

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/travisWSN

#DBWH
Quote 0 0
nirvanafan1
Steinbrenner. Dude spends more than most small countries make in order to bring all the best players to the Yankees, but his formula has faltered in recent years, as they haven't picked up a world series title in a very long time. That, and he steals a lot of really good players from small-market teams.
I will not apologize for being awesome.
Quote 0 0
alandoamazing
pistolpetefan23 wrote:


Alando=Amazing wrote:


Selig is not my Bud.

Extremely late in addressing the steroids era. That it even happened is a shame. Among many other things including years of horrible baseball in Milwaukee.

Oh, and it isn't Wednesday by the way haha.


I'm sorry, I have to address this.

1) There would be no team in Milwaukee if not for Bud Selig. He is the sole reason the Brewers exist.

2) Selig was powerless to do anything about steroids, based on the union having too much power.

3) Selig had a great record during his time as owner of the Brewers from 1970 to 1998. Remember the great teams of the late 70's and early 80's? Even the late 80s/early 90s teams were solid. It was his daughter, Wendy Selig-Prieb, who was the owner and president during the horrible years around the new millenium.

4) Again, THERE WOULD BE NO MILWAUKEE BREWERS WITHOUT BUD SELIG!!

And this doesn't even take into account all the good things he's done as commissioner during his tenure.


Tuesday is the 23rd. Today, Monday, is the 22nd.

But anywho. Who is responsible for putting the Brewers into the hands of Wendy Selig? Who is responsible for Wendy Selig being alive in the first place?

Don't give me that "union was too powerful" crap. Selig loved the homerun derby days of Mark, Sammy, and Barry. He did nothing to stem it because it brought in $ to the MLB. Its not his fault players used steroids, but he did nothing to stop it.
A pessimist is always alone. An optimist is always just two people away from a threesome.
Quote 0 0
longball12
It's funny how people blame Bud for the steroid problem in baseball and no one doing anything about it. Bud was not allowed and still is not allowed, to perform full testing on these athletes. He tried. It was shot down by the players union. Who is the head of the players union? Donald Fehr.

The answer has always been Donald Fehr with Scott Boras hanging on his short black ones. The two go hand in hand. But I have been saying this on the baseball board all my years on Wissports. Its not Bud Seligs fault that steroids ran wild. They tried to do something about it. But the baseball players union stopped it dead in its tracks. Who was the head of the baseball union? Donald Fehr. Maybe I need to give some of you who were still in diapers a history lesson.

1994 - One of the worst years in baseball history.

The owners tried desperately to create a salary cap to level the playing field for the small market teams. The owners all agreed and wrote up some paperwork that gave the commissioner full power of labor negotiations (cutting out the stinking players union). Rut roh, Donald Fehr said hell no. Fehr believed that a salary cap was simply a way for owners to clean up their own disparity problems with no benefit to the players. Maybe some of you don't remember, but the US government got involved and in August of 1994 the players walked out, thus alienating hundreds of thousands of baseball fans. The requirements for the agreement weren't all that terrible either. It forced teams to restructure payrolls to make it more competitive, messed with arbitration and free agency. But the most important thing was, the EXPOS WERE 34 GAMES OVER 500!!! But alas, nothing. I think Tony Gwynn was around 395 or something.

Donald Fehr was the problem. You can't blame Selig. The owners forced Faye Vincent out and no one else stepped up. I think my biggest problem is with unions all over the US. They stronghold businesses. They are supposed to be all about better working conditions, but they do so much more, and not in a good way. I blame them for the crash of the Big 3. I was disappointed with the strike. I was saddened about the replacement players. They came in and played and tried to keep baseball alive. And what do they get for it? They will never be recognized by MLB for their achievements. They can never be listed on commemerative merchandise, can never be on video games, etc, because they were replacement players. That's the MLBPA for ya. Protecting the interests of their players. So Damian Miller, Kevin Millar, and a couple other guys, who had long major league careers and accomplishments, its like they never existed.

So to me, Donald Fehr will always be the biggest loser, non-athlete, in professional sports. There can't even be an argument for anyone worse to their respective sport.
Proud And Loving Father Of An Angel Named Derek - 8/4/13

Twitter - @iamlongball
Quote 0 0
jaxon1024
crusaderpride wrote:


Gary Bettman may be the person who has done the least for his sport. He oversaw the NHL during a crippling strike that devastated the fan base and exchanged a solid TV deal (ESPN) for a mediocre one (VERSUS). During this year's playoffs two game 7s were scheduled at the exact same time. He is immensely disliked even by devoted hockey fans.


He also screwed Detriot over in the Stanley Cup finals this year. Playing back to back games on one days rest, and in every game of the series Pittsburgh had PP advantages. He didnt want NHLs golden boy to lose the series. Really pissed me off.
One word. Two syllables: Demarcation

You dont snipe at Carentan.

Cant over die, cant over dry.
Quote 0 0
longball12
I am just going to use this Yahoo story to re-emphasize my point on how Union's cause problems. I know this is a teacher's union in NY, but again, its just like Donald Fehr holding MLB by the short hairs. [link=http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090622/ap_on_re_us/us_rubber_rooms]http://news.yahoo.com/s...on_re_us/us_rubber_rooms[/link]

Proud And Loving Father Of An Angel Named Derek - 8/4/13

Twitter - @iamlongball
Quote 0 0
whistleblower1
If I can sneak one in here real quick. I would have to say the worst person in sports is Don King. Now I know that he was very successful early on in his boxing promoting, but as his career started to wind down he made some very poor decisions. The worst one being building his relationship with "Iron Mike". Even somebody as smart as King should have been able to foresee that that was a train wreck waiting to happen.

And don't even let me get started on the hair!
Without officials, it would just be recess!
Quote 0 0
travis12
longball wrote:


It's funny how people blame Bud for the steroid problem in baseball and no one doing anything about it. Bud was not allowed and still is not allowed, to perform full testing on these athletes. He tried. It was shot down by the players union. Who is the head of the players union? Donald Fehr.

The answer has always been Donald Fehr with Scott Boras hanging on his short black ones. The two go hand in hand. But I have been saying this on the baseball board all my years on Wissports. Its not Bud Seligs fault that steroids ran wild. They tried to do something about it. But the baseball players union stopped it dead in its tracks. Who was the head of the baseball union? Donald Fehr. Maybe I need to give some of you who were still in diapers a history lesson.

1994 - One of the worst years in baseball history.

The owners tried desperately to create a salary cap to level the playing field for the small market teams. The owners all agreed and wrote up some paperwork that gave the commissioner full power of labor negotiations (cutting out the stinking players union). Rut roh, Donald Fehr said hell no. Fehr believed that a salary cap was simply a way for owners to clean up their own disparity problems with no benefit to the players. Maybe some of you don't remember, but the US government got involved and in August of 1994 the players walked out, thus alienating hundreds of thousands of baseball fans. The requirements for the agreement weren't all that terrible either. It forced teams to restructure payrolls to make it more competitive, messed with arbitration and free agency. But the most important thing was, the EXPOS WERE 34 GAMES OVER 500!!! But alas, nothing. I think Tony Gwynn was around 395 or something.

Donald Fehr was the problem. You can't blame Selig. The owners forced Faye Vincent out and no one else stepped up. I think my biggest problem is with unions all over the US. They stronghold businesses. They are supposed to be all about better working conditions, but they do so much more, and not in a good way. I blame them for the crash of the Big 3. I was disappointed with the strike. I was saddened about the replacement players. They came in and played and tried to keep baseball alive. And what do they get for it? They will never be recognized by MLB for their achievements. They can never be listed on commemerative merchandise, can never be on video games, etc, because they were replacement players. That's the MLBPA for ya. Protecting the interests of their players. So Damian Miller, Kevin Millar, and a couple other guys, who had long major league careers and accomplishments, its like they never existed.

So to me, Donald Fehr will always be the biggest loser, non-athlete, in professional sports. There can't even be an argument for anyone worse to their respective sport.


Winner, winner. Special mention to crusaderpride and jaxon as well.

Brock Michael Wilson -- 6/30/2011; 9 lbs, 13 oz & 21 in

10/22/2010 -- 598,210 pageviews for WSN

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/travisWSN

#DBWH
Quote 0 0
longball12
I'd like to thank all the little people, Gary Coleman, Spud Webb, my wife....

I've always disliked Donald Fehr.
Proud And Loving Father Of An Angel Named Derek - 8/4/13

Twitter - @iamlongball
Quote 0 0
spike64
NirvanaFan#1 wrote:


Steinbrenner. Dude spends more than most small countries make in order to bring all the best players to the Yankees, but his formula has faltered in recent years, as they haven't picked up a world series title in a very long time. That, and he steals a lot of really good players from small-market teams.

Steinbrenner being competitive and wanting to put the best team on the field makes him a bad person? I'd say that makes him a great owner, he's willing to put his money on the line. It hasn't turned out great for him lately
He doesn't have a set budget, from himself or the MLB, so why should he put less talented players on the field when he can pay for better players?
And that stealing good players from small-market teams crap sounds a lot like a Brewer fan who thought we had a chance to sign CC.

Quote 0 0
wissportsnet

Boys Basketball Alumni Round-up: February 21st, from @ColtonWilson23 #wisbb -- https://t.co/0K6CZzZWpf https://t.co/715tfpBGVS

wissportsnet

WSN15: Boys Basketball Top Teams #12 -- Two NCAA Division I players at one WIAA Division 4 school = state champions… https://t.co/1MThqzce9L

wissportsnet

Predicting winners of every state wrestling title plus a look By The Numbers, from @Nate_Woelfel -… https://t.co/HgU1bLP7d6

wissportsnet

Join the free Boys Basketball Playoff Pick 'Em Contest; Staff picks coming Tuesday #wisbb -- https://t.co/Y6yTA3OgP8 https://t.co/hA6Uyw9uje