justintyem
justawifbfan wrote:


Tyree Roberts is still in the hospital from his injury in this game. To this point, he has had five surgeries, with at least two more next week. He developed compartment syndrome, which results in muscle dying from lack of blood/oxygen. As a result, he has lost a significant amount of calf muscle. It looks like they will need to transplant some muscle from elsewhere to his leg to rebuild the calf. He is in good spirits, and the doctors think he will be able to make a good recovery once everything heals. But for now, keep him in your thoughts and prayers.
Please pray for this young man!!!!

Quote 0 0
db11
I had heard it was a pretty gruesome injury...so here's to a speedy and full recovery.
https://twitter.com/barwickipedia - Follow me. Because we all need a bit of sports snark in our lives.

"Doin' right ain't got no end."
-The Outlaw Josey Wales

"'Allegedly' is right, Mr. Polian. I have a hole in my ear drum, I'd never go for a swim, no matter how drunk me is."
-Pat McAfee
Quote 0 0
coach40
Wishing him my best!


what happened exactly?
Do or do not---there is no try
Master Yoda
Quote 0 0
db11
Coach40 wrote:


Wishing him my best!


what happened exactly?


A lower leg injury. From what I heard, both bones (tibia and fibula) were broken.
https://twitter.com/barwickipedia - Follow me. Because we all need a bit of sports snark in our lives.

"Doin' right ain't got no end."
-The Outlaw Josey Wales

"'Allegedly' is right, Mr. Polian. I have a hole in my ear drum, I'd never go for a swim, no matter how drunk me is."
-Pat McAfee
Quote 0 0
coach40
DB1985 wrote:


Coach40 wrote:


Wishing him my best!


what happened exactly?


A lower leg injury. From what I heard, both bones (tibia and fibula) were broken.


wow that is too bad. A teammate of mine in HS had that happen and he was out of school for almost two months. Now I am truly hoping for a quick and safe return for this kid!
Do or do not---there is no try
Master Yoda
Quote 0 0
alumni14
I broke my Tib/Fib my junior year in baseball. Not a good injury, hopefully this young man makes a full recovery. It won't be quick or easy but it can be done.
@Chad_Seely
Quote 0 0
theweapon34_old
I wish you a speedy recovery.
Quote 0 0
Wisco#1_old
His future and career are pretty much over. He was enlisted into the Marines, and would have started this summer. Pretty much a week after school was done.
R.I.P. Brian "B.J." Webb
September 13,1991-May 23,2009
~Gone But Never Forgotten~

State Champs
1998
2004
2005
2007
Quote 0 0
leadhead
Wisco#1 wrote:


His future and career are pretty much over. He was enlisted into the Marines, and would have started this summer. Pretty much a week after school was done.


I think you meant to say that the future and career in the military are likely over. His future, and all of ours for that matter, is what we make it.

Does his family have medical insurance and if not, is there a fund set up for him at Wisco?
Quote 0 0
coach40
leadhead wrote:


Wisco#1 wrote:


His future and career are pretty much over. He was enlisted into the Marines, and would have started this summer. Pretty much a week after school was done.


I think you meant to say that the future and career in the military are likely over. His future, and all of ours for that matter, is what we make it.

Does his family have medical insurance and if not, is there a fund set up for him at Wisco?


VERY TRUE! We are the authors of our future!
Do or do not---there is no try
Master Yoda
Quote 0 0
justawifbfan
An update:

Tyree is still in the hospital, and has been since Nov. 15th. Friday he underwent a 12-hour surgery during which they took muscle from both upper legs and transplanted it into the void where his calf muscle had been cut out. The nerves were then sewn together, and some initial in-surgery tests were positive. Skin was then grafted to cover the area.

Saturday was surgery #8, as they were concerned about blood flow to the area. Don't know exactly what went on, but they were satisfied with the progress.

To encourage blood flow through the grafted skin, they are putting leeches over the grafted area to suck blood through the newly grafted skin. Seriously, leeches...

Despite the eight surgeries and the length of time he has been in the hospital, the doctors are still optimistic that he will be able to make a very good--possibly even full--recovery.
Quote 0 0
longball12
This is just so weird. I hope the best for him. What a strange thing to have happen. Leeches though. Wow.
Proud And Loving Father Of An Angel Named Derek - 8/4/13

Twitter - @iamlongball
Quote 0 0
justawifbfan
Update:

Tyree's major surgery last week did not go well. An unknown blood clot cut off blood flow to the newly transplanted muscle, and the muscle died. He has since undergone two more surgeries to remove that transplanted muscle.

Surgery #12 will take place on Friday. The doctors are again going to attempt to transplant muscle to the calf, this time taking muscle from his back. This will again be a lengthy and major surgery, similar to the surgery last week.

He is still in good spirits, but now in more pain due to the numerous areas of his body opened up to remove and/or transplant. This surgery really needs to go well. Please continue to keep him in your thoughts and prayers.
Quote 0 0
coach40
justawifbfan wrote:


Update:

Tyree's major surgery last week did not go well. An unknown blood clot cut off blood flow to the newly transplanted muscle, and the muscle died. He has since undergone two more surgeries to remove that transplanted muscle.

Surgery #12 will take place on Friday. The doctors are again going to attempt to transplant muscle to the calf, this time taking muscle from his back. This will again be a lengthy and major surgery, similar to the surgery last week.

He is still in good spirits, but now in more pain due to the numerous areas of his body opened up to remove and/or transplant. This surgery really needs to go well. Please continue to keep him in your thoughts and prayers.


Thank you for the updates. Is there a way you could provide an address to us so we may send cards of well-wishes? If you did not want to post it here maybe pm's?
Do or do not---there is no try
Master Yoda
Quote 0 0
justawifbfan
You could send cards to school, and they will get to Tyree.

Tyree Roberts
c/o Wisconsin Lutheran High School
330 N Glenview Ave
Milwaukee WI 53213

Thanks.
Quote 0 0
wissportsnet

Boys Basketball Alumni Round-up: February 21st, from @ColtonWilson23 #wisbb -- https://t.co/0K6CZzZWpf https://t.co/715tfpBGVS

wissportsnet

WSN15: Boys Basketball Top Teams #12 -- Two NCAA Division I players at one WIAA Division 4 school = state champions… https://t.co/1MThqzce9L

wissportsnet

Predicting winners of every state wrestling title plus a look By The Numbers, from @Nate_Woelfel -… https://t.co/HgU1bLP7d6

wissportsnet

Join the free Boys Basketball Playoff Pick 'Em Contest; Staff picks coming Tuesday #wisbb -- https://t.co/Y6yTA3OgP8 https://t.co/hA6Uyw9uje