cgrade23 Show full post »
thecrackerjack
db11 wrote:
Undrafted rookie FA signings:

C Austin Davis, Duke

S Raven Greene, James Madison

OLB C.J. Johnson, East Texas Baptist

OLB Marcus Porter, Fairmount State

G Jacob Alsadek, Arizona

DL Tyler Lancaster, Northwestern

QB Tim Boyle, Eastern Kentucky

WR Damon Gibson, Minnesota State Moorhead

OT Alex Light, Richmond

OLB Naashon Hughes, Texas

CB Chris Seisay, Portland State



I remember this guy causing havoc for UW this past season. 
Fear of the unknown is the greatest fear of all.
- Yvon Chouinard

@miedent 
Quote 0 0
safetysqueezepleezzee11
db11 wrote:
"Unanimously better QB prospects" does not equal "Unanimously great QB's." You're putting words in my mouth to prove your point. All I'm basing it off is an aggregate of scouting reports.

It's all a crapshoot, but I get the distinct impression the Packers' trained guys running the show in Cleveland are banking on Mayfield being another Favrian player.

There ain't no one like Brett Favre though.

I do like your idea of Cleveland taking Barkley first though, they were still guaranteed a QB at #4 and it's very possible that that still would have been Mayfield.

People really overanalyze how late-round picks are used. The Packers had extra picks. This isn't like Sherman trading up to take B.J. Sander when they only had six picks that year. Still think the LS could have been gotten in FA, not so sure about the punter as they were a "hot" commodity in the draft this year judging from the number of them taken.


Well obviously it was NOT "UNIVERAL" because a team picked another QB over the 3 UNANIMOUS QB's. Also, I dont and many others I have personally talked with see Mayfield possibly being a really really good NFL QB. Perhaps you didnt 'get it' - my continual writing UNANIMOUSLY GREAT QB's is simply a pick at you.  It just WAS NOT unanimous! Many link the 4 together also, which I will admit I did for a long time.

Make sure 100% agree before you start putting out UNANIMOUSLY better QB prospects. Many(if not most) had the 3 taken first, but some didn't and the team that picked obviously didn't adhere to the UNANIMOUS mantra you attempted to buffalo me with.

 

Quote 0 0
db11

Oh FFS

I've never seen someone focus on such semantic minutiae in order to get out of actually having to discuss the meat of what anyone else said.

https://twitter.com/barwickipedia - Follow me. Because we all need a bit of sports snark in our lives.

"Doin' right ain't got no end."
-The Outlaw Josey Wales

"'Allegedly' is right, Mr. Polian. I have a hole in my ear drum, I'd never go for a swim, no matter how drunk me is."
-Pat McAfee
Quote 1 0
safetysqueezepleezzee11

   And I haven't seen anyone use adverbs and adjectives so cavalierly as you do.   Many of us(so-called EXPERTS included) simply didn't see much difference among Allen, Rosen, Darnold and Mayfield. Just because you hear it on TV/Cable/TV/etc doesn't mean it is actually UNANIMOUS. We all hear what we want. I just never saw much difference in the 4 QB's and only late did I find Mayfield a 'possible' real game changer. So many of the QB's come into the NFL with basically NO pro type offensive experience. We aren't seeing many John Elway's or Peyton Manning's(guys you simply KNOW will succeed).  One can almost toss a coin to determine what QB will succeed in the NFL. Using your UNANIMOUS wording, just makes me laugh - "unanimous to who? your fantasy league bros? and some SO-CALLED experts who have as many misses as good calls over time.

I am not expecting Mayfield to be a "Brett Favre", but of the 4 guys he is the only one who offers more than a drop back QB, which depends so much on the O-line. Browns are simply NOT going to start winning games with a pure drop back QB. The drop back QB is going extinct in both the college game and in the NFL going forward. There will always be a place for the GREAT ones, but there a so so few GREAT ones, teams have to look to different ways to stay in and win NFL games.

I don't mind you disagreeing with me on Mayfield, but when you bring up your UNANIMOUS garbage, I know you have nothing. People disagree all the time, so trying to diss me because of my opinion basing it on a bunch of polls and so-called experts means squat. Point out the great points of Darnold's, Allen's and Rosen's games and that will give some credibility. Just saying they are the 3 UNANIMOUSLY BEST QB prospects means squat. Tons and tons of guys are ranked every year and most of them turn out to be 'off' or straight out wrong.

Quote 0 0
dawgstyle
db11 wrote:


I do like your idea of Cleveland taking Barkley first though, they were still guaranteed a QB at #4 and it's very possible that that still would have been Mayfield.



The Jets made it pretty clear they were taking Mayfield if he was there at 3.

Barkley might be an amazing player in the NFL, but you can't build a team around a RB.  The amount of cap space you have to spend on a star RB doesn't get you the same return on the same amount of return you get on spending on a star QB.

Just take a second to look at the last 10 super bowls.  When is the last time someone even made a SB with a generational style RB?  Lynch would be your closest argument and they didn't even give him the ball when the game was on the line.

I have no idea why a team would invest a first round pick in a player that will produce for a maximum of 8 years and then be useless when you get get guys that play for twice as long.  
@2GuysFromWI

Harbaugh will have Urban Meyer retired from OSU by 2020.
Quote 0 0
dawgstyle
Also, I will eat a lemon if Josh Allen ever makes a pro bowl.  I don't see any chance there.  He looks like an NFL QB and has a strong arm.  Nothing else suggests success.
@2GuysFromWI

Harbaugh will have Urban Meyer retired from OSU by 2020.
Quote 0 0
thecrackerjack
dawgstyle wrote:
Also, I will eat a lemon if Josh Allen ever makes a pro bowl.  I don't see any chance there.  He looks like an NFL QB and has a strong arm.  Nothing else suggests success.


Josh Allen should be taking Carson Wentz out for dinner. 
Fear of the unknown is the greatest fear of all.
- Yvon Chouinard

@miedent 
Quote 0 0
db11
http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-roster-moves/article-1/Packers-sign-rookie-free-agents/46fade7b-089b-4c35-a656-b9988dd48ad9

Final list of Packers UFAs signed.

Former Marquette high and Badger DE Conor Sheehy on the list. Madison Memorial and Wisconsin S Joe Ferguson has been brought in for a tryout over the next few days.
https://twitter.com/barwickipedia - Follow me. Because we all need a bit of sports snark in our lives.

"Doin' right ain't got no end."
-The Outlaw Josey Wales

"'Allegedly' is right, Mr. Polian. I have a hole in my ear drum, I'd never go for a swim, no matter how drunk me is."
-Pat McAfee
Quote 0 0
db11
There will be no competition in camp at punter as Justin Vogel requested his release and the Packers granted it.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/05/04/report-justin-vogel-requested-release-from-packers/
https://twitter.com/barwickipedia - Follow me. Because we all need a bit of sports snark in our lives.

"Doin' right ain't got no end."
-The Outlaw Josey Wales

"'Allegedly' is right, Mr. Polian. I have a hole in my ear drum, I'd never go for a swim, no matter how drunk me is."
-Pat McAfee
Quote 0 0
safetysqueezepleezzee11
dawgstyle wrote:


The Jets made it pretty clear they were taking Mayfield if he was there at 3.

Barkley might be an amazing player in the NFL, but you can't build a team around a RB.  The amount of cap space you have to spend on a star RB doesn't get you the same return on the same amount of return you get on spending on a star QB.

Just take a second to look at the last 10 super bowls.  When is the last time someone even made a SB with a generational style RB?  Lynch would be your closest argument and they didn't even give him the ball when the game was on the line.

I have no idea why a team would invest a first round pick in a player that will produce for a maximum of 8 years and then be useless when you get get guys that play for twice as long.  
                    Now that cant be true. I was informed that the other 3 QB's were UNANIMOUSLY better NFL QB prospects. "ANOTHER" team would have actually drafted him prior to the 3 UNANIMOUSLY better NFL QB prospects?  Say it aint so Joe! The so -called EXPERTS were wrong about the UNANIMOUS part?

For a team like Cleveland, the only reason they 'could' have taken Barkley was because they also had the 4th pick and a QB would still be available. I wouldn't have selected Barkley first EXCEPT for that reason. Even though I see Barkley as the best player, that doesn't mean he needs to be taken with the #1 pick. His position today doesn't warrant being an overall #1.  30-40 years ago - a team takes Barkley #1, but not in today's game. Perhaps even 20 years back Barkley would have been taken #1. Barkley and/or Chubb will be the biggest impact rookies coming into the NFL(not counting on them getting injured here). Both are exceptional athletes. RARELY does a QB come in and make an impact at QB. It does happen, but it is not real common. For a QB to come in and be an impact player with Cleveland at QB will be the story of the NFL, if it happens. I don't see it though. To be honest, they Cleveland team is so screwed up, I think I would have taken Barkley #1 and Chubb with the #4(or vice versa), had I drafted for Cleveland. Hard to say if the Giants would have left Chubb available though(I doubt it). I didn't have Ward in the picture for a top 5 pick(very good player, but the 4th overall pick? WOW!).  I honestly don't think any of the 4 QB's will end up being a 'difference maker' long term and I do think Mayfield has the most potential too. I would have stocked the roster with more talent at other positions, because Cleveland 'probably' wont start Mayfield anyway.

I think both Allen and Rosen will be 'near' busts and I think Darnold will really really struggle (he looks like a Sam Bradford clone to me).
Put Chubb and Ward(if you want to go defense) on the field for Cleveland with Garrett at one DE and you would be building a good defense. As important as offense is, a team still needs defense to get to the SuperBowl(Packers have been showing that for years). New England has been a bit of an outlier on this, but they also have the best GM/coach in the business and perhaps EVER!
Quote 0 0
dawgstyle
                    Now that cant be true. I was informed that the other 3 QB's were UNANIMOUSLY better NFL QB prospects. "ANOTHER" team would have actually drafted him prior to the 3 UNANIMOUSLY better NFL QB prospects?  Say it aint so Joe! The so -called EXPERTS were wrong about the UNANIMOUS part?

For a team like Cleveland, the only reason they 'could' have taken Barkley was because they also had the 4th pick and a QB would still be available. I wouldn't have selected Barkley first EXCEPT for that reason. Even though I see Barkley as the best player, that doesn't mean he needs to be taken with the #1 pick. His position today doesn't warrant being an overall #1.  30-40 years ago - a team takes Barkley #1, but not in today's game. Perhaps even 20 years back Barkley would have been taken #1. Barkley and/or Chubb will be the biggest impact rookies coming into the NFL(not counting on them getting injured here). Both are exceptional athletes. RARELY does a QB come in and make an impact at QB. It does happen, but it is not real common. For a QB to come in and be an impact player with Cleveland at QB will be the story of the NFL, if it happens. I don't see it though. To be honest, they Cleveland team is so screwed up, I think I would have taken Barkley #1 and Chubb with the #4(or vice versa), had I drafted for Cleveland. Hard to say if the Giants would have left Chubb available though(I doubt it). I didn't have Ward in the picture for a top 5 pick(very good player, but the 4th overall pick? WOW!).  I honestly don't think any of the 4 QB's will end up being a 'difference maker' long term and I do think Mayfield has the most potential too. I would have stocked the roster with more talent at other positions, because Cleveland 'probably' wont start Mayfield anyway.

I think both Allen and Rosen will be 'near' busts and I think Darnold will really really struggle (he looks like a Sam Bradford clone to me).
Put Chubb and Ward(if you want to go defense) on the field for Cleveland with Garrett at one DE and you would be building a good defense. As important as offense is, a team still needs defense to get to the SuperBowl(Packers have been showing that for years). New England has been a bit of an outlier on this, but they also have the best GM/coach in the business and perhaps EVER!


At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
@2GuysFromWI

Harbaugh will have Urban Meyer retired from OSU by 2020.
Quote 2 0
safetysqueezepleezzee11
dawgstyle wrote:


At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
         We're all well aware of your reading and comprehension problems. No sense posting about it. I doubt you can get any dumber.
Quote 0 1
dawgstyle
         We're all well aware of your reading and comprehension problems. No sense posting about it. I doubt you can get any dumber.


I had little doubt the joke would escape you.  You might be the most predictable poster here.
@2GuysFromWI

Harbaugh will have Urban Meyer retired from OSU by 2020.
Quote 0 0
wissportsnet

Boys Basketball Alumni Round-up: February 21st, from @ColtonWilson23 #wisbb -- https://t.co/0K6CZzZWpf https://t.co/715tfpBGVS

wissportsnet

WSN15: Boys Basketball Top Teams #12 -- Two NCAA Division I players at one WIAA Division 4 school = state champions… https://t.co/1MThqzce9L

wissportsnet

Predicting winners of every state wrestling title plus a look By The Numbers, from @Nate_Woelfel -… https://t.co/HgU1bLP7d6

wissportsnet

Join the free Boys Basketball Playoff Pick 'Em Contest; Staff picks coming Tuesday #wisbb -- https://t.co/Y6yTA3OgP8 https://t.co/hA6Uyw9uje