Mr. Guru_old Show full post »
sportsfan12
KGK wrote:


sportsfan wrote:


KGK wrote:


Well I hate to get on my high horse. But I am a 4th year Physical Education major who at one point was a Strength and Conditioning major for two years. Not that I'm an authority on the matter and I don't know as much as the people that created the program, but they are clearly in it for monetary gain.

The fact remains: If you lift regularly with some sort of 30-60 minute routine, and you do some cardio exercise for 30 minutes a day, and you don't over eat and don't stuff yourselves with fattening foods constantly, you'll lose weight, put on muscle, and have physiological benefits as well. No protein powders, creatine, or money on your part. It's not rocket science.


So I guess the personal trainer/coach profession is a sham then. They are in it for the money, People should just work out on their own.


That's not what I'm saying at all. I think it is rediculous (as would any trainer/coach) to think that the same program can work for hundreds of thousands of people. What a trainer or a coach does is they will make a program that benefits you.

You're telling me that this P90X program will give a person that is 300+ lbs, 40% body fat, with high blood pressure and cholesterol the same results as a 100 lb (soaking wet), 10% body fat with low blood pressure and cholesterol?

You're dreaming. My argument is simply this: Yes, the program works. As does a simple routine of GOYA aka Getting Off Your Ass. It works because it is getting you active. If that is the motivation that you need, then by all means go ahead. But there are just as efficient and way better ways of doing it. Programs like this are simple diet and exercise programs that are marketed not for the purpose of getting people healthy, but for getting people to cough up their money. Trust me, the creator of this program does not care whether you are healthy or not. Once your check clears, he is done with you.

In short: What works for some, doesn't work for all.


The same can be said for any program.
I don't think the P90X program is even targeted to the very over weight crowd? I could be wrong.
Quote 0 0
Mr. Guru_old
KGK wrote:


sportsfan wrote:


KGK wrote:


Well I hate to get on my high horse. But I am a 4th year Physical Education major who at one point was a Strength and Conditioning major for two years. Not that I'm an authority on the matter and I don't know as much as the people that created the program, but they are clearly in it for monetary gain.

The fact remains: If you lift regularly with some sort of 30-60 minute routine, and you do some cardio exercise for 30 minutes a day, and you don't over eat and don't stuff yourselves with fattening foods constantly, you'll lose weight, put on muscle, and have physiological benefits as well. No protein powders, creatine, or money on your part. It's not rocket science.


So I guess the personal trainer/coach profession is a sham then. They are in it for the money, People should just work out on their own.


That's not what I'm saying at all. I think it is rediculous (as would any trainer/coach) to think that the same program can work for hundreds of thousands of people. What a trainer or a coach does is they will make a program that benefits you.

You're telling me that this P90X program will give a person that is 300+ lbs, 40% body fat, with high blood pressure and cholesterol the same results as a 100 lb (soaking wet), 10% body fat with low blood pressure and cholesterol?

You're dreaming. My argument is simply this: Yes, the program works. As does a simple routine of GOYA aka Getting Off Your Ass. It works because it is getting you active. If that is the motivation that you need, then by all means go ahead. But there are just as efficient and way better ways of doing it. Programs like this are simple diet and exercise programs that are marketed not for the purpose of getting people healthy, but for getting people to cough up their money. Trust me, the creator of this program does not care whether you are healthy or not. Once your check clears, he is done with you.

In short: What works for some, doesn't work for all.


First off, yeah I'll agree with you, no one thing is for everyone, and you can preach GOYA all you want, but for a lot of people that isn't the problem. It's either their busy with life, taking care of kids, making ends meet, what have you. It's breaking the regular routine into a healthier one.Your even contradicting yourself with your very general 30-60 minutes a day, eat healther, and then say everything isn't for everyone. Some people need something more specific that "go run for 30, lift for 30."

The whole reason I asked about this, is because EVERYONE who I have talked to, that has done it or worked with it, has done nothing but praised it. Your argument against it is get up off my ass? Sorry I do. I'm a guy who played college football, tore an ACL, put on weight due to the inactivity, and was never able to get the weight off. I don't sit on my ass. I work out 4 times a week, and eat pretty healthy, and am looking for something to put me on a right track. Do I care what the guy who gets my money thinks about? NO. Honestly couldn't care less. I care if what he has created works... and everything I've heard, says yes. So am I going to fault this guy for making money off this? No...

Like the Joker says..... If your good at something, never do it for free.
"Hehehehe.... Long and Hard."
- Peter Griffin
Quote 0 0
twista05
To BuckyBacker

I don't really remember all of what you said, but I do know that in order to build muscle you must have a calorie surplus and in order to lose fat you must have a calorie deficit. I could be wrong but that's what I've always been told. With that being said, a significant amount of building muscle or losing fat cannot happen simultaneously.

To your other message, those are very different ways to tell fitness. I passed my Air Force fitness test, being able to do 60 pushups consecutively in a minute... that's 4 times the amount they expect you to do before starting the program, but at the same time I can only do 4 maybe 5 pullups. The other things, such as flexibility test and wall sit and everything I am way above, but just make the pullups. So you're telling me if I could only do 2 pullups, even though I can do everything else way more than what they want I shouldn't do the program? That just seems a little off to me.
Quote 0 0
Buckybacker_old
I disagree that you can't build muscle and lose fat at the same time. Just think of people that do long distance running to lose fat. They aren't aiming for it, but they certainly build up some strong leg muscles.


It's just a suggestion that you should be able to do all those things, not required. Many people, including me, do the modified pull ups meaning you either give yourself support with a chair underneath you or you go on your knees and pull your heaviest bands in the same motion that the pull up is (there's either a door attachment you can buy for it or ring the band around a horizontal pole in your house that's sturdy like a foundation support or in my case, the closet hanger pole). And the push-ups don't really matter because you'd have to be a monster to be able to do all of them without going to your knees or cutting back the reps a ton the first few times. One of their mottos in the program is "do your best, forget the rest", and that applies to everything.
Quote 0 0
jtownsupporter
KGK what school do you go to?
Against the Grain -- DP Show
Prince Fielder will sign with some team for 7 years $160 mil
Quote 0 0
twista05
Buckybacker wrote:


I disagree that you can't build muscle and lose fat at the same time. Just think of people that do long distance running to lose fat. They aren't aiming for it, but they certainly build up some strong leg muscles.


It's just a suggestion that you should be able to do all those things, not required. Many people, including me, do the modified pull ups meaning you either give yourself support with a chair underneath you or you go on your knees and pull your heaviest bands in the same motion that the pull up is (there's either a door attachment you can buy for it or ring the band around a horizontal pole in your house that's sturdy like a foundation support or in my case, the closet hanger pole). And the push-ups don't really matter because you'd have to be a monster to be able to do all of them without going to your knees or cutting back the reps a ton the first few times. One of their mottos in the program is "do your best, forget the rest", and that applies to everything.


from every person i've talked to who have studied kinesiology, nutrition and things of the like, unless you're a beginner you can't do both with significant results simultaneously.

but yeah, whatever works for whatever people want, they should use
Quote 0 0
legendoflambeau
I have a friend who is using this program and he says he loves it. He was in great shape to start, but he said he focused on his abs and they turned out amazing results.
Keep Calm Chive On
Twitter: @Lumberstotle
Quote 0 0
Mr. Guru_old
Ok guys, so I've decided to get it, and I'll probably start it soon after I get it. I'll keep track of how well it works for me incase anyone is curious.
"Hehehehe.... Long and Hard."
- Peter Griffin
Quote 0 0
rodey
I disagree that you can't burn fat and gain muscle at the same time. I've fallen back into a slump lately, but I was working out pretty heavily from the end of January to mid-March and I could tell I was losing fat and gaining muscle. I'm a pretty lean person to begin with, but I lost fat around my gut and gained muscle strength there at the same time.

I banged out the Brad Pitt workout: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bullman2.htm
I may be wrong, but I doubt it "I do have one question: Have you ever seen Gollum, John Clayton and Sam Cassell in the same place before?" - Charles Barkley
Quote 0 0
twista05
you can gain strength, as i already stated, but any trainer/bodybuilder/powerlifter i've talked to says you can't gain a significant amount of strength or muscle while losing fat at the same time
Quote 0 0
Mr. Guru_old
So I got P90X, and I'm starting it Wed. Will have a running log on my sig on how it's going.I'll probably update it week to week.
"Hehehehe.... Long and Hard."
- Peter Griffin
Quote 0 0
sportsfan12
How is that workout going?
Quote 0 0
wissportsnet

Boys Basketball Alumni Round-up: February 21st, from @ColtonWilson23 #wisbb -- https://t.co/0K6CZzZWpf https://t.co/715tfpBGVS

wissportsnet

WSN15: Boys Basketball Top Teams #12 -- Two NCAA Division I players at one WIAA Division 4 school = state champions… https://t.co/1MThqzce9L

wissportsnet

Predicting winners of every state wrestling title plus a look By The Numbers, from @Nate_Woelfel -… https://t.co/HgU1bLP7d6

wissportsnet

Join the free Boys Basketball Playoff Pick 'Em Contest; Staff picks coming Tuesday #wisbb -- https://t.co/Y6yTA3OgP8 https://t.co/hA6Uyw9uje