Would love to hear from you guys around the MVC as to your thoughts on how this season will play out. Here's my very early take on it:
1. La Crosse Central - I picked this last year too, and they ended up tied for 3/4th place at 8-4. This team, with the state's top player, lost to Holmen and Onalaska twice and Aquinas once last year. I just can't see that happening again, simply too much talent. The key is will coach just turn the talent loose?
2. Onalaska - They play very hard and have loads of returning experience. Losing Hughes from last year's 2nd place team may really hurt them though, especially will hurt their depth as it will force a rather shallow bench to go even more shallow as one of those kids needs to become a starter. Can they overcome lack of size with their considerable skill? I think most nights they will.
3. Aquinas - Return a solid nucleus of players from a deep team that finished 8-4 last year. They have shooters all over the court, but a post presence, depth and team defense are all question marks.
4. Logan - Probably return the deepest team in the league, but that depth is coming from a team that had an awful overall record last season. Logan really needs it's upperclassmen to step up and get on the same page, something I didn't see happening at all last year.
5. Holmen - coach Blank probably got more out of last year's team than anyone could have imagined. They won the conference with limited talent, but did have a lot of size. This year, they return little talent, and a little size. You know they will play hard and slow teams down, that will get some wins, but I don't expect a special group of Vikings like last season's group.
6. Sparta - new coach, some returning players, but not a ton to work with
7. Tomah - this team doesn't return a lot of talent off last year's team. Long season.