Gophs had to build their stadium to 55,000 in order to make sure it was filled or close to filled. Vikes had to threaten fans with blackouts several times, including postseason games, in order to sellout or rely on businesses buying large lots of tickets. All that needs to be said.
The stadium's cost totals $288.5 million or $303 mil. (depending on who you listen too) of which the university will pay 52 percent and the state of Minnesota the remaining 48 percent. That fact weighed heavily on the capacity as it should. Current capacity is 50,805 not 55,000 ( and expandable to 80k). ( Structurally and design wise)
Not a Viking fan in the least but are you aware that there were 15 NFL blackouts in 2012 ? With the NHL, NBA and the Vikings all playing in one metropolitan area, with overlapping of seasons, the St Paul/Mpls area is the smallest city having all 3. That also comes into play if you will admit it or not.
You are a big Badger and Packer fan, we get that. I am a Packer fan too. Just do not try to thrust your version of reality on the rest of us without question. It gets old.
Below is the improvements being made to the Bank, the capacity will basically be the same for the Vikings as the current set up.
Certain improvements to TCF Bank Stadium are necessary for winter stadium operation and to meet specific NFL mandates, including:
Installation of new turf and an appropriate heating element for the playing surface to be determined by Vikings and University officials.
Installation of heat trace pipe to ensure cold weather plumbing functionality.
Potential installation of additional temporary seating in the western end zone plaza, subject to approval by the University?s building code division (number of seats yet to be determined by Vikings and University officials).
Any necessary modification of existing video platform to meet NFL broadcast requirements.
Installation of additional insulation in various locations around TCF Bank Stadium.
Build-out storage space within TCF Bank Stadium.
"The name All-Northwest itself means something to readers of the Leader-Telegram." ?
DO JUSTICE, LOVE MERCY, WALK HUMBLY