minfan Show full post »
rocknranger
Parent on the bench not a problem ? In looking back at event of the game , Aquinas was making a run in the 2nd half, Logan called timeout and during the timeout I noticed 2 of the coaches(coach Bruce and who I later discovered to be Mrs Mueller) talking with Michelle while another coach (who I discovered was Fred Williams) talking with the rest of the team huddled around him. I thought that to be a little unusual at the time, but did not really think much of it. However in light of the comments and concerns posted since the game if it was not/is not a concern one could certainly see where it could develop into an issue.

Quote 0 0
minfan
I will give you 45% as a team. But from 1 player shooting that much no. The key part is 22 attempts almost half of the whole team against a team they were beating. Alot of the shots I saw were not just transition they were drives when the half court was just setting up. Even Aquinas fans were amazed. How does the rest of the team improve during that?
Quote 0 0
minfan
Focus wrote:


Just a couple of observations. First of all, I think this converstaion is a bit of a slap in the face to the Aquinas girls program. People are SO upset that Logan only beat Aquinas by 9? What was the expectation? Do people think that little of Aquinas?

Secondly, Logan has won every game they were "supposed" to win. To have a certain level of expectations placed on them because of some preseason ranking is not fair to their players or coaches. Those rankings are being taken out of context and way too literally in my opinion. Logan has a alot of good players returning as well as experience. That is likely why they were ranked so high.

Last year Bruce coming back to Logan was like the second coming. He was the savior for all involved with the program. Have things changed that much?

They have two parents on their bench, one being Mrs. Mueller, and the other Fred Williams, who is the father of Freshman guard Adaysha Williams. While I am not a proponent of parents coaching, that is coach Bruce's call.




Focus just a couple observations, you ask what was the expectation? Not so much a blow-out but a team game for Logan that will contribute to future success for the team.

Observation, I don't necessarily think this is Bruce bashing as much as it is surprise how the game played and how he handled it and responded.

Observation, mrs. Mueller was brought into the topic because the issue was more directly related to her. Why did you bring Coach Williams name into this?

Observation, you seem to be the only who has said more than a few words that has not found any problem like the rest. What do you think? What is your observation of the game?
Quote 0 0
focus1
minfan wrote:


Focus wrote:


Just a couple of observations. First of all, I think this converstaion is a bit of a slap in the face to the Aquinas girls program. People are SO upset that Logan only beat Aquinas by 9? What was the expectation? Do people think that little of Aquinas?

Secondly, Logan has won every game they were "supposed" to win. To have a certain level of expectations placed on them because of some preseason ranking is not fair to their players or coaches. Those rankings are being taken out of context and way too literally in my opinion. Logan has a alot of good players returning as well as experience. That is likely why they were ranked so high.

Last year Bruce coming back to Logan was like the second coming. He was the savior for all involved with the program. Have things changed that much?

They have two parents on their bench, one being Mrs. Mueller, and the other Fred Williams, who is the father of Freshman guard Adaysha Williams. While I am not a proponent of parents coaching, that is coach Bruce's call.




Focus just a couple observations, you ask what was the expectation? Not so much a blow-out but a team game for Logan that will contribute to future success for the team.

Observation, I don't necessarily think this is Bruce bashing as much as it is surprise how the game played and how he handled it and responded.

Observation, mrs. Mueller was brought into the topic because the issue was more directly related to her. Why did you bring Coach Williams name into this?

Observation, you seem to be the only who has said more than a few words that has not found any problem like the rest. What do you think? What is your observation of the game?


I am just saying they won.....it is unfortunate to see such negativity after a win, especially against a city team.

The only reason I brought up coach Williams was to attempt to demonstrate the same thing you stated in your last post. I really don't think that the parent coaches are a problem on this team. I know they both have coaching experience well beyond coaching their daughters teams at Logan. I think Mrs. Mueller coached with coach Bruce many years ago, and coach williams has coached a lot as well.

I was just trying to put some positive into the fact that they won, just like they were "supposed" to. I don't know what "plays" they were running, or who was supposed to shoot or any of that......BUT Michelle was 10-22. That is 45%. Most teams would take that shooting percentage. While watching the game, it did not stand out to me that she was forcing bad shots or being a ball hog. Many of her shots come in transition. Like I said though, I don't know if they were supposed to be doing something else?

I guess my point is this.....I hope they do not let a WIN against Aquinas be a turning point where their season starts to go down the tubes. They have a lot of good players and good kids. Hopefully, they can have a great season
Quote 0 0
Riverman_old
Focus wrote:


minfan wrote:


Focus wrote:


Just a couple of observations. First of all, I think this converstaion is a bit of a slap in the face to the Aquinas girls program. People are SO upset that Logan only beat Aquinas by 9? What was the expectation? Do people think that little of Aquinas?

Secondly, Logan has won every game they were "supposed" to win. To have a certain level of expectations placed on them because of some preseason ranking is not fair to their players or coaches. Those rankings are being taken out of context and way too literally in my opinion. Logan has a alot of good players returning as well as experience. That is likely why they were ranked so high.

Last year Bruce coming back to Logan was like the second coming. He was the savior for all involved with the program. Have things changed that much?

They have two parents on their bench, one being Mrs. Mueller, and the other Fred Williams, who is the father of Freshman guard Adaysha Williams. While I am not a proponent of parents coaching, that is coach Bruce's call.




Focus just a couple observations, you ask what was the expectation? Not so much a blow-out but a team game for Logan that will contribute to future success for the team.

Observation, I don't necessarily think this is Bruce bashing as much as it is surprise how the game played and how he handled it and responded.

Observation, mrs. Mueller was brought into the topic because the issue was more directly related to her. Why did you bring Coach Williams name into this?

Observation, you seem to be the only who has said more than a few words that has not found any problem like the rest. What do you think? What is your observation of the game?


I am just saying they won.....it is unfortunate to see such negativity after a win, especially against a city team.

The only reason I brought up coach Williams was to attempt to demonstrate the same thing you stated in your last post. I really don't think that the parent coaches are a problem on this team. I know they both have coaching experience well beyond coaching their daughters teams at Logan. I think Mrs. Mueller coached with coach Bruce many years ago, and coach williams has coached a lot as well.

I was just trying to put some positive into the fact that they won, just like they were "supposed" to. I don't know what "plays" they were running, or who was supposed to shoot or any of that......BUT Michelle was 10-22. That is 45%. Most teams would take that shooting percentage. While watching the game, it did not stand out to me that she was forcing bad shots or being a ball hog. Many of her shots come in transition. Like I said though, I don't know if they were supposed to be doing something else?

I guess my point is this.....I hope they do not let a WIN against Aquinas be a turning point where their season starts to go down the tubes. They have a lot of good players and good kids. Hopefully, they can have a great season


Parents sitting on the bench = big trouble.

Maybe not now, but when adversity hits, it has a chance to blow up on them and create very unnecessary distractions. Hope this doesn't end up hurting the Rangers' potentially great season.
Quote 0 0
runandstun
Logan is as loaded a team as i have seen in the last 6 years in the MVC.they will have nights when they do not play their best but they will win plenty.they will also like all teams have issues with team chemistry that will effect their year as well but I think they could hate each other and still make state.
Quote 0 0
rangerdanger_old
runandstun wrote:


Logan is as loaded a team as i have seen in the last 6 years in the MVC.they will have nights when they do not play their best but they will win plenty.they will also like all teams have issues with team chemistry that will effect their year as well but I think they could hate each other and still make state.


You might be right coach. When they have their fast break working they look like a boys team.
Quote 0 0
ruppert1
Raider you have never thougth anyone else plays for Logan
Quote 0 0
wildraider
Obviously they have some other nice players, but not anyone that is going to stand out over others in the conference. Take Michelle off that team, it is an average team. Sorry. The dad I talked with is a pretty up front and knows the game pretty well. He surely isn't to impressed and he has been to every game so far.
Quote 0 0
rocknranger
Wildraider - You seem to have a recurring theme on stressing to everyone just how "average" Logan is without Michelle. Don't get me wrong, I am thrilled she is a Lady Ranger. Without her I believe Logan still is an above average and dangerous team. With her they have a chance to go to state. When she is on top of her game she may be as close to being unstoppable as there is in the area. However I believe her defense and ability to make passes are what makes Logan so dangerous, and is more important to the team than shooting or scoring more than the rest of the team. Logan seems at its best when playing uptempo and pushing the ball up court on offense and pressuring the ball on defense. Michelle can play any position on the court and would be a tough match up for anyone in the MVC. As for your "Logan parent source" he/she must not know a lot about the other players and get their opinion from reading the Tribune and all the articles about Michelle. Taylor Johnson (a top 50 player according to the girls basketball yearbook),Kennedy Johnson, Abby Wiedman, and Vanessa Blackwell could probably start for an awful lot of teams in the state, and if not would be very valuable coming off anyones bench. Michelle does deserve her accolades, but those accolades tend to get everyone to overlook and underrate the rest of the team. I agree with Runandstun that Logan is deeper than they get credit for. As for Aquinas winning the game witout Michelle playing ? maybe ?, but it is possible for them to beat Logan with Michelle playing also. With or without Michelle I feel Logan would be favored in conferece, she can just make it a lot easier. Hopefully all these issues re: team chemisty etc.. (if there really are issues) can be resolved so these girls can enjoy what could be a very memorable, once in a lifetime experiece.

Quote 0 0
wildraider
I always thought the best players should get the most shots. Obviously, Michelle is their best player so she should get the most shots. In looking, if she doesn't score, who does? Don't see many others lighting it up. One parent that was there told me that he thought Aquinas wins if Mueller is not on Logan. He felt Logan was a pretty average team without her and would struggle to score. And, he has a daughter on a younger level team at Logan. So, it wasn't some outsider that hasn't been to a game.


Quote 0 0
rangerdanger_old
wildraider wrote:


I always thought the best players should get the most shots. Obviously, Michelle is their best player so she should get the most shots. In looking, if she doesn't score, who does? Don't see many others lighting it up. One parent that was there told me that he thought Aquinas wins if Mueller is not on Logan. He felt Logan was a pretty average team without her and would struggle to score. And, he has a daughter on a younger level team at Logan. So, it wasn't some outsider that hasn't been to a game.




I don't know. Logan presents severe matchup problems for Aquinas. It looked like every Logan starter was taller than Aquinas' tallest girl! Logan SHOULD win without Michelle, but she is a matchup nightmare for other "regular" size guards. She took deschler to the post much of the game, like she probably will with most people who guard her. Deschler did a good job down low, but she is one of the better players in the conference. Michelle should be able to score or pass down there at will on just about any guard. I think everyone needs to calm down and let the team figure this out ... too much talent to waste this year. I hope you are wrong about these parent issues and the team gels.
Quote 0 0
wifan
While I don't see many Logan girl's games, I gotta agree with RocknRanger. The Johnson sisters and Wiedman are very good players. Logan would be good without Michelle; but with her, they are contenders for a state title. This was a city game and one that all kids get up for so a good/close game should have been expected. A win is a win; doesn't matter by how many. As others have said; hats off to Watson for having his team ready to go.
Quote 0 0
rocknranger
Great article in the Tribune about Aquinas/Derrick Kroll. I forgot just how much this team has gone through emotionally in the past year or so. It makes what they have done, and are doing, this year even more special and impressive. Like I have said in the past I am a big Logan fan, but I will be rooting for these girls to have a special year also. ( I also have not forgotten about you in Sparta also with your lose of Martha Wilms for the year) I for one will be paying more attention to both of these teams and hoping for a successful season them, except of course when playing my Rangers. Happy Holidays to all and here is to a great finish to the rest of the season.

Quote 0 0
wissportsnet

Boys Basketball Alumni Round-up: February 21st, from @ColtonWilson23 #wisbb -- https://t.co/0K6CZzZWpf https://t.co/715tfpBGVS

wissportsnet

WSN15: Boys Basketball Top Teams #12 -- Two NCAA Division I players at one WIAA Division 4 school = state champions… https://t.co/1MThqzce9L

wissportsnet

Predicting winners of every state wrestling title plus a look By The Numbers, from @Nate_Woelfel -… https://t.co/HgU1bLP7d6

wissportsnet

Join the free Boys Basketball Playoff Pick 'Em Contest; Staff picks coming Tuesday #wisbb -- https://t.co/Y6yTA3OgP8 https://t.co/hA6Uyw9uje