ORIGINAL: Hoops Guy
Believe me, this is a tough post for me to make. But after the Little Ten's terrible showing in the tournament, I have come to the conclusion that our confernence is just terrible right now when it comes to boys basketball. If fact, it might be the worst D1 conference out there.
Let's look at other D1 conferences in WI (in no particular order):
1. Classic 8 - much better than the WLT year in and year out. Great depth with Pius, Catholic Memorial, and Arrowhead along with usually solid North and South squads.
2. North Shore - Homestead, Gtown, Milw. Lutheran, Cedarburg all solid programs.
3. Greater Metro - Marquette, Brook East and Central, Tosa East all top tier programs. Some of their worst teams this year beat some solid WLT teams.
4. Southeast - the Racine schools are athletically some of the best in the state.
5. Big 8 - Usually has an outstanding team (Memorial and Lofollete in the last few years) and has very good depth. Plus they add Verona next year so it will be getting better.
6. FVA - might be one of the top 3 leagues in the state based on depth. Oshkosh West has been a powerhouse recently.
7. Milwaukee City - no doubt that Vincent and King are powerhouses ... and they always seem to have 3-4 other teams each year who can beat anybody on a given night (Tech, Bay View, Washington this year)
8. Valley 8 - (not sure if this is the corect name). The wausau school, rapids, and stevens point have produced some very good teams that are ranked in the top 10.
9. Fox River Valley (Green Bay schools, sheboygans etc): Sheboygan north is traditionally a great program and it seems that every year that one of the green bay schools is quite good.
10. Big Rivers - might be a conference we could compete with but EC Memorial is traditionally very good.
11. Mississippi Valley - Lacrosse area is not traditionally very good and I think we would do fine against them.
I might be missing one or two conferences, but look at the list. Especially in southern WI, the Little Ten has been really bad lately. We have not gotten a team to state in over 10 years. We have had some solid teams lately (Watertown with the Wegners and Nichols, Wisco the last two years, BD with Hein) but when we have to play the "big boys" in sectionals we lose. On a consistent basis, our middle and bottom tier teams get hammered against other leagues. Sure, some teams have had some solid non conference wins over teams from other D1 conferences, but for the most part, we do not compete well on a regular basis.
So, why is this case? Again, this is not enjoyable to think about. But right now our conference is just plain bad.