roadkill1 Show full post »
db11
mrmike527 wrote:
highlightfilm wrote:
No one has disputed how physically gifted Cutler is. He exhibited great skills early in his career in Denver and was thought to be an all-pro type talent.

Let's review a few reasons why he is a punchline for some: His petulant, pouting, throwing teammates under the bus attitude does not enamor himself with anyone. His winning percentage (58%) is lower than 3rd string Rex Grossman (61%) while it could be argued he has been surrounded by better talent than Grossman. Even this contract year, McCown threw 12 td's and 1 int in 5 games while Cutler threw 19 td's and 12 int's in 11 games.

Now, when did the Bears last have a talented quarterback?? Jay must look like a god to these folks. Yet, I agree he is probably the best option available to Chicago and has shown signs of maturing. Regardless, the money is probably commensurate with his ability, but the duration of the contract will come back to bite the bears.


That winning % is a great stat! Especially because he absolutely played with better talent than did Grossman. After all, the Bears had the 30th ranked scoring defense this year. What did Grossman have? The 3rd best defense in the league? 30 is close to 33, which is 11 times bigger than 3, so that's pretty much open and shut.

Besides, the Bears offense this season was only the 2nd ranked scoring offense in the NFL. The first rankd scoring offense in the NFL, the Broncos, made the playoffs. Therefore, if only Cutler had pulled his head out of his butt and played better, the Bears would have made the playoffs too.


Didn't realize Jay Cutler and Rex Grossman only started for the Bears for one year...
https://twitter.com/barwickipedia - Follow me. Because we all need a bit of sports snark in our lives.

"Doin' right ain't got no end."
-The Outlaw Josey Wales

"'Allegedly' is right, Mr. Polian. I have a hole in my ear drum, I'd never go for a swim, no matter how drunk me is."
-Pat McAfee
Quote 0 0
mrmike527
I actually think this is a pretty good deal. Cutler is pretty underrated, and truthfully I can't think of a better player that is currently available to the Bears for Trestman to develop. Cutler toiled under Lovie for a while but I think he's probably worth about that much money.
Quote 0 0
highlightfilm
mrmike527 wrote:
db11 wrote:
mrmike527 wrote:
highlightfilm wrote:
No one has disputed how physically gifted Cutler is. He exhibited great skills early in his career in Denver and was thought to be an all-pro type talent.

Let's review a few reasons why he is a punchline for some: His petulant, pouting, throwing teammates under the bus attitude does not enamor himself with anyone. His winning percentage (58%) is lower than 3rd string Rex Grossman (61%) while it could be argued he has been surrounded by better talent than Grossman. Even this contract year, McCown threw 12 td's and 1 int in 5 games while Cutler threw 19 td's and 12 int's in 11 games.

Now, when did the Bears last have a talented quarterback?? Jay must look like a god to these folks. Yet, I agree he is probably the best option available to Chicago and has shown signs of maturing. Regardless, the money is probably commensurate with his ability, but the duration of the contract will come back to bite the bears.


That winning % is a great stat! Especially because he absolutely played with better talent than did Grossman. After all, the Bears had the 30th ranked scoring defense this year. What did Grossman have? The 3rd best defense in the league? 30 is close to 33, which is 11 times bigger than 3, so that's pretty much open and shut.

Besides, the Bears offense this season was only the 2nd ranked scoring offense in the NFL. The first rankd scoring offense in the NFL, the Broncos, made the playoffs. Therefore, if only Cutler had pulled his head out of his butt and played better, the Bears would have made the playoffs too.


Didn't realize Jay Cutler and Rex Grossman only started for the Bears for one year...


Actually Grossman did only start for the Bears one full year--never finished more than half a season outside that. Actually surprised me when I looked it up to get the stats for that post. I assumed the person was referring to the supporting cast this year, because up until this year the Bears offense has had one of the worst offensive lines in football and had little to nothing outside of Marshall and Forte.



Grossman played six years with the Bears, started 31 games while playing in 36 games total. The stats provided are factual. The statement regarding the surrounding cast is based on what I have heard on Chicago sports talk radio discussions. The hosts know a helluva lot more about Bear football than me. Plus, Cutler had 2+ years with Denver in which he started and didn't win as much as thought. So, the statement goes a bit deeper than just spewing stats!
The true test of a man?s character is what he does when no one is watching.
John Wooden

Quote 0 0
highlightfilm
edit
The true test of a man?s character is what he does when no one is watching.
John Wooden

Quote 0 0
roadkill1
It is astonishing to say the least to read someone insinuating Cutler is as good a deal as Rodgers.............[afro]

icons wrote:
Like I said.....let's visit this thread a few years down the road and see which team (Packer or Bears) got it's money's worth from their QB's. Rodgers MUST win another SB to even come close to earning the godawful amount of money he makes.






WOW!!![]



RK
"So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold
Quote 0 0
mrmike527
highlightfilm wrote:


Grossman played six years with the Bears, started 31 games while playing in 36 games total. The stats provided are factual. The statement regarding the surrounding cast is based on what I have heard on Chicago sports talk radio discussions. The hosts know a helluva lot more about Bear football than me. Plus, Cutler had 2+ years with Denver in which he started and didn't win as much as thought. So, the statement goes a bit deeper than just spewing stats!


Cutler's years with Denver were excellent. He had a strong rookie year and then went 8-8 with the 30th ranked defense in the league.

As for Grossman starting 31 games, I'm not sure what your point is. In one year, he started 16 games. In 5 other seasons combined, he started 15. If you want to look up his defensive quality and weight them by number of games started, feel free--but I just took the numbers from the only season in which he even started half of the games.

Cutler's numbers are drastically better than Grossman's--even Cutler's worst year is drastically better than Grossman's only year.
Quote 0 0
mrmike527
db11 wrote:
mrmike527 wrote:
highlightfilm wrote:
No one has disputed how physically gifted Cutler is. He exhibited great skills early in his career in Denver and was thought to be an all-pro type talent.

Let's review a few reasons why he is a punchline for some: His petulant, pouting, throwing teammates under the bus attitude does not enamor himself with anyone. His winning percentage (58%) is lower than 3rd string Rex Grossman (61%) while it could be argued he has been surrounded by better talent than Grossman. Even this contract year, McCown threw 12 td's and 1 int in 5 games while Cutler threw 19 td's and 12 int's in 11 games.

Now, when did the Bears last have a talented quarterback?? Jay must look like a god to these folks. Yet, I agree he is probably the best option available to Chicago and has shown signs of maturing. Regardless, the money is probably commensurate with his ability, but the duration of the contract will come back to bite the bears.


That winning % is a great stat! Especially because he absolutely played with better talent than did Grossman. After all, the Bears had the 30th ranked scoring defense this year. What did Grossman have? The 3rd best defense in the league? 30 is close to 33, which is 11 times bigger than 3, so that's pretty much open and shut.

Besides, the Bears offense this season was only the 2nd ranked scoring offense in the NFL. The first rankd scoring offense in the NFL, the Broncos, made the playoffs. Therefore, if only Cutler had pulled his head out of his butt and played better, the Bears would have made the playoffs too.


Didn't realize Jay Cutler and Rex Grossman only started for the Bears for one year...


Actually Grossman did only start for the Bears one full year--never finished more than half a season outside that. Actually surprised me when I looked it up to get the stats for that post. I assumed the person was referring to the supporting cast this year, because up until this year the Bears offense has had one of the worst offensive lines in football and had little to nothing outside of Marshall and Forte.
Quote 0 0
highlightfilm
mrmike527 wrote:
highlightfilm wrote:


Grossman played six years with the Bears, started 31 games while playing in 36 games total. The stats provided are factual. The statement regarding the surrounding cast is based on what I have heard on Chicago sports talk radio discussions. The hosts know a helluva lot more about Bear football than me. Plus, Cutler had 2+ years with Denver in which he started and didn't win as much as thought. So, the statement goes a bit deeper than just spewing stats!


Cutler's years with Denver were excellent. He had a strong rookie year and then went 8-8 with the 30th ranked defense in the league.

As for Grossman starting 31 games, I'm not sure what your point is. In one year, he started 16 games. In 5 other seasons combined, he started 15. If you want to look up his defensive quality and weight them by number of games started, feel free--but I just took the numbers from the only season in which he even started half of the games.

Cutler's numbers are drastically better than Grossman's--even Cutler's worst year is drastically better than Grossman's only year.



I just made a statement. Honestly, I couldn't careless about Cutler or Grossman nor did I feel compelled to dig deep into stats to justify the statement. I just said "it could be argued", I didn't say I could argue. Not sure why you want me to defend a position I don't necessarily hold. Where you are trying to take this?
The true test of a man?s character is what he does when no one is watching.
John Wooden

Quote 0 0
wissportsnet

Boys Basketball Alumni Round-up: February 21st, from @ColtonWilson23 #wisbb -- https://t.co/0K6CZzZWpf https://t.co/715tfpBGVS

wissportsnet

WSN15: Boys Basketball Top Teams #12 -- Two NCAA Division I players at one WIAA Division 4 school = state champions… https://t.co/1MThqzce9L

wissportsnet

Predicting winners of every state wrestling title plus a look By The Numbers, from @Nate_Woelfel -… https://t.co/HgU1bLP7d6

wissportsnet

Join the free Boys Basketball Playoff Pick 'Em Contest; Staff picks coming Tuesday #wisbb -- https://t.co/Y6yTA3OgP8 https://t.co/hA6Uyw9uje