blade12
This was discussed in another thread but I think it deserves its own.

https://www.jsonline.com/restricted/?return=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.jsonline.com%2Fstory%2Fsports%2Fhigh-schools%2F2018%2F10%2F22%2Fhigh-school-basketball-standout-deontay-long-released-jail%2F1725990002%2F

He served 6 months of a 12 month jail sentence and was released in the last few days. He has been cleared to play at Washington for the upcoming season.

The school seems to recognize that his situation needs a more strict policy but they are only enacting a rule now and it won't retroactively apply to him. 

The optics on this are so bad. 
Quote 0 0
gstacy
good luck to the young man! I hope he takes advantage of this. Wish him the best!
Quote 0 0
db11
blade12 wrote:
This was discussed in another thread but I think it deserves its own.

https://www.jsonline.com/restricted/?return=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.jsonline.com%2Fstory%2Fsports%2Fhigh-schools%2F2018%2F10%2F22%2Fhigh-school-basketball-standout-deontay-long-released-jail%2F1725990002%2F

He served 6 months of a 12 month jail sentence and was released in the last few days. He has been cleared to play at Washington for the upcoming season.

The school seems to recognize that his situation needs a more strict policy but they are only enacting a rule now and it won't retroactively apply to him. 

The optics on this are so bad. 


I'm fine with him being back in school and having parameters set for both continued enrollment and playing b-ball.

I'm also glad MPS has changed their rules (not that they necessarily should have had their hand forced, this is where Washington's administration and staff blew it on teaching valuable life lessons), and it looks as if the WIAA will follow suit in regards to Tournament Series eligibility.

However, as you said, it doesn't change the fact that the ball was dropped on how badly this was handled last year.

Terrible optics.

...but he and Washington are the best bet to stop Nicolet. Boy, this is gonna be a fun season of hot takes...*eyeroll*
https://twitter.com/barwickipedia - Follow me. Because we all need a bit of sports snark in our lives.

"Doin' right ain't got no end."
-The Outlaw Josey Wales

"'Allegedly' is right, Mr. Polian. I have a hole in my ear drum, I'd never go for a swim, no matter how drunk me is."
-Pat McAfee
Quote 0 0
blade12
db11 wrote:


I'm fine with him being back in school and having parameters set for both continued enrollment and playing b-ball.

I'm also glad MPS has changed their rules (not that they necessarily should have had their hand forced, this is where Washington's administration and staff blew it on teaching valuable life lessons), and it looks as if the WIAA will follow suit in regards to Tournament Series eligibility.

However, as you said, it doesn't change the fact that the ball was dropped on how badly this was handled last year.

Terrible optics.

...but he and Washington are the best bet to stop Nicolet. Boy, this is gonna be a fun season of hot takes...*eyeroll*


Not sure there is much of an option for any public school but to accept him as a student if he enrolls.  I was thinking he would head to a prep school to get a fresh start. 

I guess having to miss the CC season is a pretty tough penalty for him. ðŸ™„
Quote 0 0
thecrackerjack
blade12 wrote:


Not sure there is much of an option for any public school but to accept him as a student if he enrolls.  I was thinking he would head to a prep school to get a fresh start. 

I guess having to miss the CC season is a pretty tough penalty for him. Ã°Å¸â„¢â€ž


The tough penalty was him spending 6 months in prison. 
Fear of the unknown is the greatest fear of all.
- Yvon Chouinard

@miedent 
Quote 0 0
blade12


The tough penalty was him spending 6 months in prison. 


He served half of his sentence. Not saying 6 months in jail isn't tough but to get out half way through and get to go back to things that seem important to him like nothing happened is pretty fortunate and light IMO.
Quote 0 0
gstacy
How long would you have him sit?
Quote 0 0
thecrackerjack
blade12 wrote:


He served half of his sentence. Not saying 6 months in jail isn't tough but to get out half way through and get to go back to things that seem important to him like nothing happened is pretty fortunate and light IMO.


I agree that this looks bad, but I don't think the bolded is the case. He's going to be on probation for years, and this 6 month release was for him to return to school. I can't get into the Journal Sentinel articles, but I'm fairly certain there are a few parameters on where and when he can be. It isn't all roses and sunshine for him. 
Fear of the unknown is the greatest fear of all.
- Yvon Chouinard

@miedent 
Quote 0 0
blade12
gstacy wrote:
How long would you have him sit?

As the coach, the school or the WIAA I would have ended his HS playing days last year for sure.  I believe he should be ineligible for the remainder of his HS days as well. The school and WIAA are both working on new policies that would result in future offenders not being eligible (playoff eligible for WIAA).  That tells me that in this case neither entity believes the current punishment is severe enough.
Quote 2 0
gstacy
they will make this retro?
Quote 0 0
safetysqueezepleezzee11
blade12 wrote:

As the coach, the school or the WIAA I would have ended his HS playing days last year for sure.  I believe he should be ineligible for the remainder of his HS days as well. The school and WIAA are both working on new policies that would result in him not being eligible (playoff eligible) this year.  That tells me that in this case neither entity believes the current punishment is severe enough.
    Was his crime a felony?  I think ALL extracurricular's should be earned and not just 'participated' in because one shows up. One does NOT get on the honor roll for just showing up everyday. The kid was in jail - I would hope those who are 'guiding' him would have more sense than getting him back in school so he can participate in sports; He already got out of 1/2 of the penalty(jail/prison/etc), so he needs to learn how to be a grown up and stay away from things that put him in Jail. The kid should be using the time he(supposedly is going to put into a sport, get a job  and pay society back for his crime/crimes.
Quote 1 0
blade12


I agree that this looks bad, but I don't think the bolded is the case. He's going to be on probation for years, and this 6 month release was for him to return to school. I can't get into the Journal Sentinel articles, but I'm fairly certain there are a few parameters on where and when he can be. It isn't all roses and sunshine for him. 

School started in Sept not on his release date in Oct. 

I haven't seen many details of his release other than the judge is requiring him to have all A's or B's in classes. Probation is a definite possibility. I do not know the length of that. He may also still be wearing the ankle monitor. He may not be able to travel with the team to their out of state games.
Quote 0 0
blade12
gstacy wrote:
they will make this retro?


I don't believe so. What I originally stated above is not clearly worded. I have edited it.
Quote 0 0
blade12
    Was his crime a felony?  I think ALL extracurricular's should be earned and not just 'participated' in because one shows up. One does NOT get on the honor roll for just showing up everyday. The kid was in jail - I would hope those who are 'guiding' him would have more sense than getting him back in school so he can participate in sports; He already got out of 1/2 of the penalty(jail/prison/etc), so he needs to learn how to be a grown up and stay away from things that put him in Jail. The kid should be using the time he(supposedly is going to put into a sport, get a job  and pay society back for his crime/crimes.


He was charged (and plead guilty) as an adult with a Class C felony.  He was part of a group that robbed (armed robbery) a delivery driver for $140, then they attempted to rob a lady walking a dog and then they carjacked a vehicle.

He joined the CC team last fall (2017) to serve his 25% of the season suspension. He missed 0 basketball other than he was not allowed to travel to out of state games, I think the team played 4 games in CA last season.

NOTE - It appears the original article has been updated and some of this info is no longer in the updated article.
Quote 0 0
iwishiwasaballer
Here's another article regarding the situation (For those who don't have access to JS, if the link doesn't work for you just Google it in incognito mode and it lets you see it). -  https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/high-schools/2018/10/23/stewart-milwaukee-washington-coach-believes-second-chances/1733645002/

I found these excerpts interesting. 

In the meantime, Long and Riley will be spending a lot of time together. On most days the coach will pick up Long in the morning for school and drop him off at the end of the day. Riley will be around during the team’s tutoring session each day, and of course he'll be at practice once that starts in November.

Riley regularly visited Long during his jail stay. He likes Long's state of mind.

“The thing about 'D' is he is super smart,” Riley said. “I say this all the time. This is the problem with our boys in the city: loyalty. It’s loyalty to the guys in the community that you grow up with that don’t necessarily share the same dreams and vision and goals that you do.

“It’s tough to try to balance that when you’re 17, 15, 16 years old. It’s tough to balance that because you get ridiculed. You get put into this box by people in your community that you grew up with, that you love and respect, when you don’t do things the way they (think) you should be handling things.”


Long seems to be on the right track. He became an honor roll student last year. He apologized in court for his actions. He served his time.
2017 WSN HOF Inductee
feel free to follow me
Quote 0 0
wissportsnet

Boys Basketball Alumni Round-up: February 21st, from @ColtonWilson23 #wisbb -- https://t.co/0K6CZzZWpf https://t.co/715tfpBGVS

wissportsnet

WSN15: Boys Basketball Top Teams #12 -- Two NCAA Division I players at one WIAA Division 4 school = state champions… https://t.co/1MThqzce9L

wissportsnet

Predicting winners of every state wrestling title plus a look By The Numbers, from @Nate_Woelfel -… https://t.co/HgU1bLP7d6

wissportsnet

Join the free Boys Basketball Playoff Pick 'Em Contest; Staff picks coming Tuesday #wisbb -- https://t.co/Y6yTA3OgP8 https://t.co/hA6Uyw9uje