sportsfan12
Cloverbelt Small has 3 of their 8 teams ranked in top 10 polls, 2 more are teams to watch.
Quote 0 0
dietcoke1
Just checked on the wiaawi.org site I linked above. If anyone wants to check on out-of-conference wins for any given conference and click [link=http://www.wiaawi.org/football/footballindex.html]http://www.wiaawi.org/football/footballindex.html[/link]. Most games have been purely out-of-conference so far so it is easy to check on currently.

Woodland-North 5-1 .833
Northshore 12-4 .750
Greater Metro 11-5 .688
Classic Eight 10-6 .625
Wisconsin Little Ten 8-8 .500
Woodland-South 2-6 .250
Quote 0 0
sportsfan12
Quote:
ORIGINAL: TosaWest23

On scout.com the Woodland has 8 of its 12 teams either ranked or teams to watch.


Scout.com is not the best place to look outside of top 10's.....the teams to watch are all teams that are still eligible for playoffs(basically every team) or are 2-0 in non-conf play.
Quote 0 0
terrordad_old
IMHO, the FVA never gets enough respect. 10 team conference, and they all play everyone, so nobody plays any non-conf. games. They all end up beating each other, so records are deceiving. Last year, FVA sent 6 teams to the playoffs (4 in div. 1, 2 in div. 2), 5 of the 6 won their first-round games, 4 of them in upsets of higher seeded teams. Conf. champ. Menasha lost in rd. 2 by only 4 points to eventual state champ Ashwaubenon. In Div. 1, Appleton North upset perennial powerhouses SPASH and DC Everest, before losing to state runner-up Rapids. Rapids also knocked out another FVA team (Neenah) in round 2.

If FVA teams could schedule non-conf. opponents, the rest of the state might get to see that a pretty good brand of football is played in the fox valley. In the meantime, we might not see it in the rankings during the season, but my hunch is the playoffs will once again show the strength of the conference this year.
Quote 0 0
sportsfan12
Quote:
ORIGINAL: terrordad

IMHO, the FVA never gets enough respect. 10 team conference, and they all play everyone, so nobody plays any non-conf. games. They all end up beating each other, so records are deceiving. Last year, FVA sent 6 teams to the playoffs (4 in div. 1, 2 in div. 2), 5 of the 6 won their first-round games, 4 of them in upsets of higher seeded teams. Conf. champ. Menasha lost in rd. 2 by only 4 points to eventual state champ Ashwaubenon. In Div. 1, Appleton North upset perennial powerhouses SPASH and DC Everest, before losing to state runner-up Rapids. Rapids also knocked out another FVA team (Neenah) in round 2.

If FVA teams could schedule non-conf. opponents, the rest of the state might get to see that a pretty good brand of football is played in the fox valley. In the meantime, we might not see it in the rankings during the season, but my hunch is the playoffs will once again show the strength of the conference this year.


you are correct about the non-conf game thing. Because come football seed voting time, record plays 99% of the criteria....which is very unfair.
my example, Hilbert in D7....very tough conference and never get's the #1 seed....and is often paired with the #1 seed in the brackets....come playoff time, they blow the #1 seed out of the water.....that is very unfair to that #1 seed who really should be a #2 and would probably meet Hilbert in the Regional final.....better for the kids.
Quote 0 0
TosaWest23_old
On scout.com the Woodland has 8 of its 12 teams either ranked or teams to watch.
TW Football 2006
6-4(4-4)
Playoffs
Quote 0 0
tigersfan05_old
The Olympian has had 8 of their 9 teams either ranked or a team to watch so far this year.
Wrightstown Wrestling
Conf Champs-95,98,99,00,01,02,03,04,05,06,07
Reg Champs-86,87,88,92,93,94,95,98,99,00,01,02,03,04,05,06,07
Sect Champs-95,98,99,00,01,02,03,04,05,06
State Runner Up-98
State Champions-99,05,06
Quote 0 0
dietcoke1
I was just looking at the Dunn-St. Croix's out of conference record this year... 1-15... .063 winning percentage.

[link=http://www.wiaawi.org/football/conference.php]http://www.wiaawi.org/football/conference.php[/link]
Quote 0 0
db11
Quote:
ORIGINAL: Diet Coke

I was just looking at the Dunn-St. Croix's out of conference record this year... 1-15... .063 winning percentage.

[link=http://www.wiaawi.org/football/conference.php]http://www.wiaawi.org/football/conference.php[/link]


And of all their teams, the win was by Boyceville...granted it was a squeaker over New Auburn, which isn't saying much...
https://twitter.com/barwickipedia - Follow me. Because we all need a bit of sports snark in our lives.

"Doin' right ain't got no end."
-The Outlaw Josey Wales

"'Allegedly' is right, Mr. Polian. I have a hole in my ear drum, I'd never go for a swim, no matter how drunk me is."
-Pat McAfee
Quote 0 0
SuedeKnight_old
If we're talking records, how about the Marinette & Oconto Conference? 12-2 so far. Some of the competition looks iffy at best, but still, 12-2. And their 2-0 teams are paired off with each other for week three.

And to beat a dead horse, another statistical note about the DSC - 1-15 record as stated, but what scares me is the lack of offense put out by DSC teams. Counting the two games together, the teams have scored a total of 0, 6, 7, 12, 14, 14, 22, and 28 points. Boyceville has the 28, not surprisingly as they have the one win. But in the DSC's favor, they may have faced some tough opposition so far.
http://www.wisconsinpreps.com

Collecting scores for the masses since...maybe...ionno, a month ago? Somethin' like that.
Quote 0 0
wiscott90
Quote:
ORIGINAL: Diet Coke

Just checked on the wiaawi.org site I linked above. If anyone wants to check on out-of-conference wins for any given conference and click [link=http://www.wiaawi.org/football/footballindex.html]http://www.wiaawi.org/football/footballindex.html[/link]. Most games have been purely out-of-conference so far so it is easy to check on currently.

Woodland-North 5-1 .833
Northshore 12-4 .750
Greater Metro 11-5 .688
Classic Eight 10-6 .625
Wisconsin Little Ten 8-8 .500
Woodland-South 2-6 .250


The Middle Border conference is also 12-4 .750
Quote 0 0
dietcoke1
Quote:
The Middle Border conference is also 12-4 .750


That is impressive. I think the out of conference win/loss record is an indication of conference strength - from top to bottom. Playoff wins pin all the success on a few teams. Your conference can have four teams that make the playoffs and one can go 5-0 and the other three can go 0-1 and you can still claim your conference was strong because they went 5-3 in the playoffs. I think BOTH playoff and out of conference games indicate the real strength of a given conference.
Quote 0 0
dietcoke1
It is a much better quality post because it was posted at a point in time where most teams had played their nonconference games and were transitioning into conference games. So there is a means of supporting the highly subjective opinions about which conference is better. The typical thread has no reference to anything other than state championships.
Quote 0 0
highlifer
I suggest you try to find some smarter friends then.
Most ballgames are lost, not won.


Quote 0 0
wissportsnet

Boys Basketball Alumni Round-up: February 21st, from @ColtonWilson23 #wisbb -- https://t.co/0K6CZzZWpf https://t.co/715tfpBGVS

wissportsnet

WSN15: Boys Basketball Top Teams #12 -- Two NCAA Division I players at one WIAA Division 4 school = state champions… https://t.co/1MThqzce9L

wissportsnet

Predicting winners of every state wrestling title plus a look By The Numbers, from @Nate_Woelfel -… https://t.co/HgU1bLP7d6

wissportsnet

Join the free Boys Basketball Playoff Pick 'Em Contest; Staff picks coming Tuesday #wisbb -- https://t.co/Y6yTA3OgP8 https://t.co/hA6Uyw9uje