hoopsgalore Show full post »
kern1
I don't think I said Johnson is slow... if I did that's a misstep. But if they ran a 200 meter dash, I would say Bolt wins by at least a second. If they ran a 100 it would be closer, obviously but not close. A 40 meter dash may be close in time but considering the shortened distance, it would still be substantial. Just my two copper!
I try to think and nothing happens! - Three Stooges

"Give yourself a 4-5 second effort for 48 minutes" - Stolen from the signature of Marlin "Lee Corso" - For if he wasn't an administrator, I would have been banned a long time ago. RIP bud.
Quote 0 0
mredd22
Mr_mike527 wrote:


senor_carson wrote:


senor_carson wrote:


Mr_mike527 wrote:


kern wrote:


Mr_mike527 wrote:


Chris Johnson actually might be able to beat him through 40. Bolt kills everyone over the last 50 meters but if Johnson gets a quick start he'd probably win through 40.

Edit: Oh, and Bolt's agent says this isn't happening.


Correction: Bolt falls behind world class sprinters in the first 40 and then kills world class sprinters the last 50. Chris Johnson is fast but he isn't a world class sprinter... not by any means.

As that one article says; Bolts skills wouldn't necessarily transfer to football just like Johnson's wouldn't necessarily transfer to track.

Who knows though... It would be fun to watch and I bet that they would raise a lot of money but it doesn't appear Bolt is going to do it.


His split for 40 (minus reaction time) was 4.65. Finishing with a lean is considered to take off about .25 seconds. You don't think Chris Johnson is a world class 40-yard sprinter? I beg to differ.


BTW, I'd love to see your source for this.



I did a little research. So, here's a link to the split times from his world record race:
[link=http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ua8ycqfc4ok/Sok0X9U62uI/AAAAAAAABq8/HJwymrWaDn4/s1600-h/Table.gif]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ua8ycqfc4ok/Sok0X9U62uI/AAAAAAAABq8/HJwymrWaDn4/s1600-h/Table.gif[/link]

First of all, he was faster than every other sprinter through the first 20 meters for both the prelims and the finals.
His split for 40 meters, including reaction time, was 4.64. 40 yards equals 36.6 meters, so taking .7 times his 30-40 split, and adding to his 30 split gives an approximate 40 yard time of 4.385. Now, subtract reaction time, and we have 4.24. Using your innacurate estimate of subtracting .25 seconds for the lean would give him a sub-4 40.
Then, consider the fact that this is a split from a 100m race, which means he was not trying to run his fasted possible 40 time.
So, I conclude, Chris Johnson is burned by Bolt at any reasonable race distance.


You're right, I was looking at his 9.69 splits and not his 9.55 splits, and I didn't adjust for Meters to Yards.

The idea that he wasn't trying to run his fastest possible 40 time isn't really true though. The only thing that would be affected is the lean. What else would change in a dead 100M sprint? I say its closer than you give him credit for--keep in mind also that Johnson didn't get to use blocks when he started, and ran on a grass-substitute with football cleats on, not on a track with track shoes on.

Its not going to be that far apart at all. Johnson stands a fair chance, especially considering Bolts' starts aren't that of a word-class track star. There's no reason to think that Johnson isn't capable of being a track star if that's what he chose over football. He had the 7th best 100 time in the nation as a Senior in High School. He was one of the best in the nation--had he not been good at football, he might be in track now.


Yes they are. Just because he's not blowing everyone else out of the water doesn't mean it isn't world class. You're making it sound like he's last out of the blocks and has to make up 5 meters on everyone to start every race. Bolt is rarely the first guy out of the blocks but he's almost always at least middle of the pack if not better.

It's well documented how full of crap the NFL 40 times are, you can't compare them to track times, there are just way to many different variables. Johnson is extremely fast, but it isn't like he's far faster than any other football player to ever play or even the fastest.

I just don't see how you can say Johnson has a chance. This is the most dominant sprinter of all time and he is in his prime in a sprint, against a football player.


Quote 0 0
wizzler
Why can't Chris Johnson have world class speed because he is a football player? They are not exclusive from each other.

He came in second in high school to the guy who won a bronze in the 2008 Olympics. Its not like he is fast for a football player, he is just plain fast. It is safe to say he probably is faster than he was in high school.

Nobody beats Bolt. Johnson won't beat him. But that does not mean Johnson is slow. I expect Johnson to finish around 10 seconds. even 10.2 or 10.3 10.4 hell even 10.5 IS world class speed. That is enough to keep you around the Olympic pool and when you consider he didn't even train for it that is pretty damn in impressive.

I do not think it is fair to diminish Chris Johnson abilities because can't beat Usain bolt. That is absurd.



Quote 0 0
wizzler
kern wrote:


I don't think I said Johnson is slow... if I did that's a misstep. But if they ran a 200 meter dash, I would say Bolt wins by at least a second. If they ran a 100 it would be closer, obviously but not close. A 40 meter dash may be close in time but considering the shortened distance, it would still be substantial. Just my two copper!

He has competed with world class track athletes before. High School or not, they were in all still in the same breath. Like I said he ran against the 2008 bronze medal winner and finished 2nd.

I have almost no doubts he with a year or two of training he could compete for a spot on the USA Olympic team.

And i misread your comment before.

you said he was not a world class sprinter. I was thinking you said he didn't have world class speed. There is a difference there.

Either way.

He does have world class speed and lets not let him losing to bolt get in the way of that.

Quote 0 0
wis.gator_old
I think Jeff Demps vs Bolt would be closer than Chris Johnson vs Bolt.
PSN: wisgator
Quote 0 0
mrmike527
Isn't Bolts whole deal his speed endurance? Like that he can hit top speed at the 40 and maintain it all the way through?

I thought that was the advantage that he had over everyone else--that he wasn't trained in the 100 very extensively so he found that advantage on his own.
Quote 0 0
topnotch1
Mr_mike527 wrote:


Isn't Bolts whole deal his speed endurance? Like that he can hit top speed at the 40 and maintain it all the way through?

I thought that was the advantage that he had over everyone else--that he wasn't trained in the 100 very extensively so he found that advantage on his own.


Not really. His top speed is faster than everyone else's. He's crazy tall for a sprinter, but he can take almost as many strides per second as shorter people, obviously covering a greater distance.

If you check out his splits his peak is about 50-90m. He was the first sprinter to ever cover 10m in a .82sec split according to one site I was reading earlier, which I'm too lazy to search for now. Just google Bolt 100m split times if you want to find it.
Ricky Rubio will be a Pamela Anderson sized bust.

6/28/2009

Quote 0 0
kern1
Wizzler wrote:


kern wrote:


I don't think I said Johnson is slow... if I did that's a misstep. But if they ran a 200 meter dash, I would say Bolt wins by at least a second. If they ran a 100 it would be closer, obviously but not close. A 40 meter dash may be close in time but considering the shortened distance, it would still be substantial. Just my two copper!

He has competed with world class track athletes before. High School or not, they were in all still in the same breath. Like I said he ran against the 2008 bronze medal winner and finished 2nd.

I have almost no doubts he with a year or two of training he could compete for a spot on the USA Olympic team.

And i misread your comment before.

you said he was not a world class sprinter. I was thinking you said he didn't have world class speed. There is a difference there.

Either way.

He does have world class speed and lets not let him losing to bolt get in the way of that.


Okay. I'll agree. He has world class speed. He does NOT have Usain Bolt speed, however. []
I try to think and nothing happens! - Three Stooges

"Give yourself a 4-5 second effort for 48 minutes" - Stolen from the signature of Marlin "Lee Corso" - For if he wasn't an administrator, I would have been banned a long time ago. RIP bud.
Quote 0 0
senor_carson_old
Mr_mike527 wrote:


senor_carson wrote:


senor_carson wrote:


Mr_mike527 wrote:


kern wrote:


Mr_mike527 wrote:


Chris Johnson actually might be able to beat him through 40. Bolt kills everyone over the last 50 meters but if Johnson gets a quick start he'd probably win through 40.

Edit: Oh, and Bolt's agent says this isn't happening.


Correction: Bolt falls behind world class sprinters in the first 40 and then kills world class sprinters the last 50. Chris Johnson is fast but he isn't a world class sprinter... not by any means.

As that one article says; Bolts skills wouldn't necessarily transfer to football just like Johnson's wouldn't necessarily transfer to track.

Who knows though... It would be fun to watch and I bet that they would raise a lot of money but it doesn't appear Bolt is going to do it.


His split for 40 (minus reaction time) was 4.65. Finishing with a lean is considered to take off about .25 seconds. You don't think Chris Johnson is a world class 40-yard sprinter? I beg to differ.


BTW, I'd love to see your source for this.



I did a little research. So, here's a link to the split times from his world record race:
[link=http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ua8ycqfc4ok/Sok0X9U62uI/AAAAAAAABq8/HJwymrWaDn4/s1600-h/Table.gif]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ua8ycqfc4ok/Sok0X9U62uI/AAAAAAAABq8/HJwymrWaDn4/s1600-h/Table.gif[/link]

First of all, he was faster than every other sprinter through the first 20 meters for both the prelims and the finals.
His split for 40 meters, including reaction time, was 4.64. 40 yards equals 36.6 meters, so taking .7 times his 30-40 split, and adding to his 30 split gives an approximate 40 yard time of 4.385. Now, subtract reaction time, and we have 4.24. Using your innacurate estimate of subtracting .25 seconds for the lean would give him a sub-4 40.
Then, consider the fact that this is a split from a 100m race, which means he was not trying to run his fasted possible 40 time.
So, I conclude, Chris Johnson is burned by Bolt at any reasonable race distance.


You're right, I was looking at his 9.69 splits and not his 9.55 splits, and I didn't adjust for Meters to Yards.

The idea that he wasn't trying to run his fastest possible 40 time isn't really true though. The only thing that would be affected is the lean. What else would change in a dead 100M sprint? I say its closer than you give him credit for--keep in mind also that Johnson didn't get to use blocks when he started, and ran on a grass-substitute with football cleats on, not on a track with track shoes on.

Its not going to be that far apart at all. Johnson stands a fair chance, especially considering Bolts' starts aren't that of a word-class track star. There's no reason to think that Johnson isn't capable of being a track star if that's what he chose over football. He had the 7th best 100 time in the nation as a Senior in High School. He was one of the best in the nation--had he not been good at football, he might be in track now.


Ask anyone who knows anything about sprinting and they will tell you otherwise. The acceleration phase for a 100 meter dash is longer than that of a 40. Why? Because you don't want to hit top speed in a 100 until later in the race. Otherwise you will never be able to maintain enough speed through the finish. Sure most, people would try and sprint the first 40 all out, but this is not how the race is run at the professional level.

And, again, saying his starts are not that of a world-class sprinter is just wrong. While he may not always have the fastest reaction time, he is almost always in 1st place by the 20 meter mark.


P.S. It was 9.58, not 9.55
Quote 0 0
MBC2K4_old
In the 100, Bolt beats Johnson by between .7 and 1.0 seconds. In the 200, he probably beats him by 1.5 to 2.0 seconds.
CURRENT RING COUNT
MBC2K4: 0
LeBron James: 0

I AM THE CHOSEN ONE!!!
Quote 0 0
mredd22
senor_carson wrote:


Mr_mike527 wrote:


senor_carson wrote:


senor_carson wrote:


Mr_mike527 wrote:


kern wrote:


Mr_mike527 wrote:


Chris Johnson actually might be able to beat him through 40. Bolt kills everyone over the last 50 meters but if Johnson gets a quick start he'd probably win through 40.

Edit: Oh, and Bolt's agent says this isn't happening.


Correction: Bolt falls behind world class sprinters in the first 40 and then kills world class sprinters the last 50. Chris Johnson is fast but he isn't a world class sprinter... not by any means.

As that one article says; Bolts skills wouldn't necessarily transfer to football just like Johnson's wouldn't necessarily transfer to track.

Who knows though... It would be fun to watch and I bet that they would raise a lot of money but it doesn't appear Bolt is going to do it.


His split for 40 (minus reaction time) was 4.65. Finishing with a lean is considered to take off about .25 seconds. You don't think Chris Johnson is a world class 40-yard sprinter? I beg to differ.


BTW, I'd love to see your source for this.



I did a little research. So, here's a link to the split times from his world record race:
[link=http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ua8ycqfc4ok/Sok0X9U62uI/AAAAAAAABq8/HJwymrWaDn4/s1600-h/Table.gif]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ua8ycqfc4ok/Sok0X9U62uI/AAAAAAAABq8/HJwymrWaDn4/s1600-h/Table.gif[/link]

First of all, he was faster than every other sprinter through the first 20 meters for both the prelims and the finals.
His split for 40 meters, including reaction time, was 4.64. 40 yards equals 36.6 meters, so taking .7 times his 30-40 split, and adding to his 30 split gives an approximate 40 yard time of 4.385. Now, subtract reaction time, and we have 4.24. Using your innacurate estimate of subtracting .25 seconds for the lean would give him a sub-4 40.
Then, consider the fact that this is a split from a 100m race, which means he was not trying to run his fasted possible 40 time.
So, I conclude, Chris Johnson is burned by Bolt at any reasonable race distance.


You're right, I was looking at his 9.69 splits and not his 9.55 splits, and I didn't adjust for Meters to Yards.

The idea that he wasn't trying to run his fastest possible 40 time isn't really true though. The only thing that would be affected is the lean. What else would change in a dead 100M sprint? I say its closer than you give him credit for--keep in mind also that Johnson didn't get to use blocks when he started, and ran on a grass-substitute with football cleats on, not on a track with track shoes on.

Its not going to be that far apart at all. Johnson stands a fair chance, especially considering Bolts' starts aren't that of a word-class track star. There's no reason to think that Johnson isn't capable of being a track star if that's what he chose over football. He had the 7th best 100 time in the nation as a Senior in High School. He was one of the best in the nation--had he not been good at football, he might be in track now.


Ask anyone who knows anything about sprinting and they will tell you otherwise. The acceleration phase for a 100 meter dash is longer than that of a 40. Why? Because you don't want to hit top speed in a 100 until later in the race. Otherwise you will never be able to maintain enough speed through the finish. Sure most, people would try and sprint the first 40 all out, but this is not how the race is run at the professional level.

And, again, saying his starts are not that of a world-class sprinter is just wrong. While he may not always have the fastest reaction time, he is almost always in 1st place by the 20 meter mark.


P.S. It was 9.58, not 9.55


Really? I'm not saying that you're wrong necessarily because I'm not a tracklete but that doesn't make sense to me. Are you saying there not in good enough shape to run a full 100 at top speed? Or what about the 200, do they wait till its over halfway done to go full out?


Quote 0 0
wissportsnet

Boys Basketball Alumni Round-up: February 21st, from @ColtonWilson23 #wisbb -- https://t.co/0K6CZzZWpf https://t.co/715tfpBGVS

wissportsnet

WSN15: Boys Basketball Top Teams #12 -- Two NCAA Division I players at one WIAA Division 4 school = state champions… https://t.co/1MThqzce9L

wissportsnet

Predicting winners of every state wrestling title plus a look By The Numbers, from @Nate_Woelfel -… https://t.co/HgU1bLP7d6

wissportsnet

Join the free Boys Basketball Playoff Pick 'Em Contest; Staff picks coming Tuesday #wisbb -- https://t.co/Y6yTA3OgP8 https://t.co/hA6Uyw9uje