mickjagger
"Gov. Gavin Newsom has not said whether he will sign it. But the NCAA Board Of Governors is already urging him not to, sending him a letter Wednesday saying the bill 'would erase the critical distinction between college and professional athletics' and would have drastic consequences for California's colleges and universities.

'Because it gives those schools an unfair recruiting advantage, (it) would result in them eventually being unable to compete in NCAA competitions,' the letter said. 'These outcomes are untenable and would negatively impact more than 24,000 California student-athletes across three divisions.' "

- Associated Press

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/california-college-athlete-fair-pay-bill-goes-to-governor/ar-AAH8Plc?OCID=AVRES007
Wisconsin Sports Network Hall of Fame Inductee, 2012
Quote 0 0
dawgstyle
Generally I hate that California has so much power to influence national legislation.  However, in this case, kudos to California for leading the way on something that is LONG overdue.
@2GuysFromWI

Harbaugh will have Urban Meyer retired from OSU by 2020.
Quote 2 0
db11
mickjagger wrote:
"Gov. Gavin Newsom has not said whether he will sign it. But the NCAA Board Of Governors is already urging him not to, sending him a letter Wednesday saying the bill 'would erase the critical distinction between college and professional athletics' and would have drastic consequences for California's colleges and universities.

'Because it gives those schools an unfair recruiting advantage, (it) would result in them eventually being unable to compete in NCAA competitions,' the letter said. 'These outcomes are untenable and would negatively impact more than 24,000 California student-athletes across three divisions.' "

- Associated Press

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/california-college-athlete-fair-pay-bill-goes-to-governor/ar-AAH8Plc?OCID=AVRES007


The IOC did that years ago...it improved the product. Not allowing someone at the least to profit from their own image is a bit archaic.
https://twitter.com/barwickipedia - Follow me. Because we all need a bit of sports snark in our lives.

"Doin' right ain't got no end."
-The Outlaw Josey Wales

"'Allegedly' is right, Mr. Polian. I have a hole in my ear drum, I'd never go for a swim, no matter how drunk me is."
-Pat McAfee
Quote 0 0
Charlie Tweeder
dawgstyle wrote:
Generally I hate that California has so much power to influence national legislation.  However, in this case, kudos to California for leading the way on something that is LONG overdue.


haha. Couldn't agree more with this! 

This is absolutely the right move and is the only sustainable option for college athletes to "get paid." It's insane that this bylaw has survived this long.
Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory, lasts forever.

#GoPackGo
Quote 0 0
db11
The one thing I've never been able to wrap my head around is why the NCAA is so concerned with guys being able to profit off their name. I mean it's not like it hurts their bottom line if a guy sells his jersey, does an autograph signing/appearance or gets a Tressel, er, tattoo for a discounted rate. And it doesn't shift the needle about who goes where anyway with all the under-the-table stuff that happens (think Alvin Mack taking the envelope from the booster after a good game in The Program).
https://twitter.com/barwickipedia - Follow me. Because we all need a bit of sports snark in our lives.

"Doin' right ain't got no end."
-The Outlaw Josey Wales

"'Allegedly' is right, Mr. Polian. I have a hole in my ear drum, I'd never go for a swim, no matter how drunk me is."
-Pat McAfee
Quote 0 0
blade12
I don't disagree that the student-athletes deserve some sort of compensation based upon how much money is in the big time sports but somehow I think this will open up an entirely new set of issues.  US Women's National Soccer team pay inequalities come to mind. Title IX may be something too.

I always thought the NCAA should set up some sort of a pension/401K/trust fund/foundation type program for all athletes. The money stays under the control of the NCAA appointed bank until a kid reaches a certain age giving the NCAA the ability to continue to make money off of that money.

Set up an acct for each athlete and give them access to $50 or 100/week during their sport season. That's their pizza money.

Then give each student athlete a set amount per season that they can collect when they turn 25.
$1000 per season for frosh
$2000 per season for sophs
$3000 per season for Jrs
$4000 per season for Seniors
$5000 per season for grad students

Each kid may be able to get somewhere around $10k when they hit the set age.
Quote 0 0
dawgstyle
This has nothing to do with title IX. The schools are not compensating them, private business is. The USWNT concerns are about what they are paid by US soccer not by what players are making in endorsement deals. Some of these guys are worth millions in endorsements and you want to pay them $50 for pizza money?

As was pointed out, look at the Olympics. Some of these guys are on the same level as Michael Phelps. Imagine telling Phelps sorry we know that you have an offer for $50 million in endorsements, but you cant accept that or you cant swim.  But hey man, here's $100 for some pizza. LOL
@2GuysFromWI

Harbaugh will have Urban Meyer retired from OSU by 2020.
Quote 0 0
blade12
dawgstyle wrote:
This has nothing to do with title IX. The schools are not compensating them, private business is. The USWNT concerns are about what they are paid by US soccer not by what players are making in endorsement deals. Some of these guys are worth millions in endorsements and you want to pay them $50 for pizza money?

As was pointed out, look at the Olympics. Some of these guys are on the same level as Michael Phelps. Imagine telling Phelps sorry we know that you have an offer for $50 million in endorsements, but you cant accept that or you cant swim.  But hey man, here's $100 for some pizza. LOL


Do you think the schools are not going to use these endorsement deals to entice kids to come to their school?  Do you think they offer all male and females athletes the same arrangements?

I'd bet 80% of all college athletes would take the pizza money plan. 

The ultimate solution is for the biggest schools and conferences to just drop the NCAA and do their own thing. Barring that, I think my idea of a pension type plan is a pretty decent compromise on the part of the NCAA as it would include all athletes in all sports not just endorsement deals for the stars.
Quote 0 0
dawgstyle
blade12 wrote:


Do you think the schools are not going to use these endorsement deals to entice kids to come to their school?  Do you think they offer all male and females athletes the same arrangements?

I'd bet 80% of all college athletes would take the pizza money plan. 

The ultimate solution is for the biggest schools and conferences to just drop the NCAA and do their own thing. Barring that, I think my idea of a pension type plan is a pretty decent compromise on the part of the NCAA as it would include all athletes in all sports not just endorsement deals for the stars.


What do you mean schools are going to offer them endorsements?  They dont endorse schools. They endorse businesses and products.  USC cant offer them a Nike endorsement deal.   

80% would absolutely take that because they aren't the athletes getting robbed.  The mens rowing team doesnt generate revenue.  The womens softball team doesnt generate revenue.  Those athletes aren't losing out on any money under the current system.
@2GuysFromWI

Harbaugh will have Urban Meyer retired from OSU by 2020.
Quote 0 0
blade12
dawgstyle wrote:


What do you mean schools are going to offer them endorsements?  They dont endorse schools. They endorse businesses and products.  USC cant offer them a Nike endorsement deal.   

80% would absolutely take that because they aren't the athletes getting robbed.  The mens rowing team doesnt generate revenue.  The womens softball team doesnt generate revenue.  Those athletes aren't losing out on any money under the current system.


"Gee coach, I like Wisconsin but when I took my official visit to USC they introduced me to some alumni guy who is the owner of some local business and we got to talking about how I could be featured in some ads for his company and get paid $50k.  Can you hook me up with a deal like that at Wisconsin? If you want me to come you're going to have to top that"

That is absolutely going to happen and when the schools start playing matchmaker with those connections they will get put under a microscope for who is or is not being given that same access.
Quote 0 0
dawgstyle
blade12 wrote:


"Gee coach, I like Wisconsin but when I took my official visit to USC they introduced me to some alumni guy who is the owner of some local business and we got to talking about how I could be featured in some ads for his company and get paid $50k.  Can you hook me up with a deal like that at Wisconsin? If you want me to come you're going to have to top that"

That is absolutely going to happen and when the schools start playing matchmaker with those connections they will get put under a microscope for who is or is not being given that same access.


Every large school has alumni that own businesses.  Every large city is going to have businesses that want high profile athletes to endorse their products.  The school isnt going to have to provide access.  When its not against the rules these people will find the athletes on their own.  That's the point.
@2GuysFromWI

Harbaugh will have Urban Meyer retired from OSU by 2020.
Quote 0 0
kenny78
I say go ahead and pay them. However, nobody gets a scholarship. Save those for the students who are actually there to attend classes. The players can pay their own way if they want to attend school and participate in college athletics.
Quote 0 0
blade12
dawgstyle wrote:


Every large school has alumni that own businesses.  Every large city is going to have businesses that want high profile athletes to endorse their products.  The school isnt going to have to provide access.  When its not against the rules these people will find the athletes on their own.  That's the point.


I am asking...  can the kids hire agents to review endorsement deals and contracts?  Can the kids sign on to deals that conflict with current school sponsors?  Can the kids sign deals with political candidates, gun mfgs, casinos?

Without oversight from the schools or NCAA these kids will be preyed upon and some, not all, will find themselves in shady or bad deals and relationships. 

I am all for all kids getting paid but when it comes down to only being endorsement deals the stars get paid while the others do not.
Quote 0 0
realitycheck

I've read through most of these posts and they are interesting to say the least.

My stances is that things should just stay the way they are for we don't need to corrupt a long time standard tradition and precedence with the evils of money, greed, and corruption.  Doing so will just open up a major can of worms for schools and student athletes because as we all know, money is the root of all evil.  All you have to do is pay attention to the news.  Everyday there is some kind of situation or scandal going on that involves money.

There is one thing that I haven't seen mentioned here.  It has to do with the concept of being part of a team.  Right now everyone that is on a team in collage is considered an equal part of that team because that's what a team is.  These athletes are part of a tight knit group that work hard together and believe in each other as a unit so that they can all achieve that goal of winning.  What separates college sports from professional sports is that the college athletes are playing from their hearts, not their wallets.  Infusing money into a college team would start a major chain of events and problems and could eventually do more harm than good.  Mr. Runningback is getting $5K while all the linemen blocking for him get a free bowl of soup...  You can kiss that tight knit team concept good bye!  It will turn into "Me Myself and I and I'm the reason why!"

The other big issue will be equal rights.  No one here has mentioned anything about the other students attending college.  How would Sally Bookworm who is on the University's Forensics team feel if she is having to pay her way to attend a class that Joe Athlete is attending only Joe doesn't have to pay for anything because not only does he have a scholarship, he's getting money from Uncle Lou's Fried Chicken because he's playing a major sport?  Can you say lawsuits?  Don't kid yourself.  Lawsuits is the new way of the world.  Just look at the recent admissions scam with those actresses.  Geeee... How ironic that money had something to do with that.  The last thing colleges don't want to do is deal with litigation.  

IMO... Yes...  the collages make a lot of money off of the athletes that are playing the major sports.  Let's keep in mind that these colleges are using that money to help keep costs down as much as possible so that EVERY college student has an equal opportunity to attend and learn.  Let's also keep in mind that these superstar athletes are attending collage to get an education, not to make money.  That's the reason that they are there.  The making money part comes after.  This has how it's been since the day the first college door opened.  We do not need to fix something that at the end of the day isn’t really broken.

Make sure you flush twice for insurance!
Quote 0 0
dawgstyle
kenny78 wrote:
I say go ahead and pay them. However, nobody gets a scholarship. Save those for the students who are actually there to attend classes. The players can pay their own way if they want to attend school and participate in college athletics.

Students who are actually there to attend classes?  Myron Rolle was a Rhodes Scholar who went on to study at Oxford.  This is just ignorant.  This is like suggesting, if you get 2nd job, you shouldn't get to keep your first job if someone else needs a first job.
@2GuysFromWI

Harbaugh will have Urban Meyer retired from OSU by 2020.
Quote 0 0
wissportsnet

Boys Basketball Alumni Round-up: February 21st, from @ColtonWilson23 #wisbb -- https://t.co/0K6CZzZWpf https://t.co/715tfpBGVS

wissportsnet

WSN15: Boys Basketball Top Teams #12 -- Two NCAA Division I players at one WIAA Division 4 school = state champions… https://t.co/1MThqzce9L

wissportsnet

Predicting winners of every state wrestling title plus a look By The Numbers, from @Nate_Woelfel -… https://t.co/HgU1bLP7d6

wissportsnet

Join the free Boys Basketball Playoff Pick 'Em Contest; Staff picks coming Tuesday #wisbb -- https://t.co/Y6yTA3OgP8 https://t.co/hA6Uyw9uje