alandoamazing Show full post »
hgerner13
alandoamazing wrote:
mrmike527 wrote:
alandoamazing wrote:
hgerner13 wrote:
Beats is very much a nitch market type headphone, and will be popular regardless of cost due to athletes backing it. As long as Collin Kapernick and Richard Sherman wear the headphones, Beats will sell in masses. It doesn't matter how they sound, it's how they look. Sound really isn't a huge deal with the people who wear these headphones. It's how they look before the game, warming up, and after the game. They do LOOK cool and have average sound, which is fine for who they are marketing the product towards.

If you want some nice sounding headphones try the Bowers & Wilkins P7's those are literally the best headphones I have ever worn/listened to.



They LOOK cool, because Beats determined what looked cool with the way they market the headphones. Anything they make will LOOK cool as a result. It is what Apple has been doing for the last decade. It is genius really. It is easier and cheaper to gain massive market share through genius marketing than by actually making a quality product.

I just find it interesting to look deeper into that and what it says about society/materialism/status/etc. If Beats were the price they should be in regards to quality, they would actually do worse. The economics of luxury goods is fascinating.


Herbalife is genius marketing. Beats is just one of literally thousands of designer products.

The point of Beats is that they made it cool to own headphones. You're acting like Beats have this genius marketing department that has somehow convinced everyone that their sound quality is the best. In reality, the overall quality of every wearable thing is generally determined by its style. Can you imagine how absurd it would be if I wrote an article crapping on Rolex-wearers because my digital watch is easier to put on (velcro!) easier to read (digital clock face) and has features like an alarm? It's not that I would be wrong, I would just be fundamentally missing the point of the product.

You seem to think that Beats didn't make a quality product and just marketed instead. But part of the quality of a wearable product is its style--and in that sense, Beats has the best product on the market right now and no one else is close. It's not like the Beats people have everyone buying their products because they are convinced that it's the best way to listen to music, people are buying their products for the same reason people buy Jordans and Rolexes and wear ties around their necks and never use the bottom button on their blazers--style is important.


You don't understand my point at all, and even echo a little bit of what I'm saying. Beats created "headphones as a style." Headphones were never really about style or fashion. They were about the music, the sound quality, the performance. Beats, through intelligent marketing and partnering with athletes and celebrities, created their own market basically. They also HAVE convinced everyone that buys them that they sound great. It is highly impressive. Through the use of high price points and celebrity endorsements they have created both the illusion of quality and more importantly the image that they want the headphones to be seen in.

They aren't making or selling a quality physical product, they are creating and selling an image as the product through shrewd marketing. When you say the best product on the market, you miss the fact that there are very distinct markets. The market that Beats created, and the market for high end headphones that was already in existence. There is very little overlap.

I find the dynamics of Beats to be highly interesting because of this. They created a market (or at the very least completely revolutionized what was a small niche market to begin with). I think it's going to be really interesting to see what happens if they don't actually start closing the gap between their price point and the quality and performance of the headphones. As they introduce a new market of people to expensive headphones, it seems likely that a fair number of these people will go out looking for actual quality performance. And, the existing high end brands will start to tailor their marketing to this brand new market.

The market that already existed for high end headphones will never purchase Beats, because they are purely looking for quality. So I think that rather than being a big competitor and battling with Beats, companies like Sennheiser, Ultrasone, etc. will actually benefit.




This is exactly what they are compared to other headphones. Now they have become a fashion statement. People aren't just listening to music with Beats anymore, it has made its way into the fashion world. People are wearing Beats without the intention of listening, rather with the intention of matching the color with their outfit. It's as much a part of their general attire as shoes are, and have in a way become the exact same style choice as shoes.
Quote 0 0
hgerner13
thebillwaltontrip wrote:
They are a product line tied to a guy who has, for the past 25 years, made a ridiculous sum of cash for being a fraud. Why should his headphones be any different? The guy is 50 years old, has been a multimillionaire and has lived in the suburbs since 1990, and still tries to perpetuate the gangster lifestyle; a lifestyle he was never apart of to begin with.

People will always fall for the aesthetics, but as a fellow by the name of Fisticuff once warned "You can't just put velvet in the ****** & think they're nice headphones!"


I'm curious as to what you think isn't nice about them? I mean did you hear a guy say something about Beats sucking, or have you owned a pair? The Studio Beats are actually a nice pair of headphones and have gotten some good ratings. I've listened to them and aside from being a little pricey they do sound really good compared to others around the same price range. It's not just creating a product, you have to be able to market that product as well, and obviously Beats does that. I don't care if you're [afro] or a [ninja] or even a [pirate] the Studio Beats headphones aren't as bad as some of you are trying to make them out to be. It's the same debate that goes along with Bose and Apple. You will always have people that hate/love each. As long as the product does what you are wanting it to it doesn't really matter does it?
Quote 0 0
thebillwaltontrip
They are a product line tied to a guy who has, for the past 25 years, made a ridiculous sum of cash for being a fraud. Why should his headphones be any different? The guy is 50 years old, has been a multimillionaire and has lived in the suburbs since 1990, and still tries to perpetuate the gangster lifestyle; a lifestyle he was never apart of to begin with.

People will always fall for the aesthetics, but as a fellow by the name of Fisticuff once warned "You can't just put velvet in the shit & think they're nice headphones!"
Quote 0 0
db11
There's nothing funnier than a guy from rural Wisconsin trying to talk about some rapper's street cred.
https://twitter.com/barwickipedia - Follow me. Because we all need a bit of sports snark in our lives.

"Doin' right ain't got no end."
-The Outlaw Josey Wales

"'Allegedly' is right, Mr. Polian. I have a hole in my ear drum, I'd never go for a swim, no matter how drunk me is."
-Pat McAfee
Quote 0 0
dawgstyle
db11 wrote:
There's nothing funnier than a guy from rural Wisconsin trying to talk about some rapper's street cred.


This is EXACTLY what I was thinking.

Please gangster Bill, tell us how it really is on the streets of LA.
@2GuysFromWI

Harbaugh will have Urban Meyer retired from OSU by 2020.
Quote 0 0
thebillwaltontrip
Dr. Dre's "street cred" has been put on blast by several of his peers over the course of his career. He is a phony. That's why he bounded from Death Row in the mid 1990s, a lot of guys on that label actually grew up or currently lived the lives they talked about and brought that environment around the studio and he was uncomfortable with that.
Quote 0 0
dawgstyle
thebillwaltontrip wrote:
Dr. Dre's "street cred" has been put on blast by several of his peers over the course of his career. He is a phony. That's why he bounded from Death Row in the mid 1990s, a lot of guys on that label actually grew up or currently lived the lives they talked about and brought that environment around the studio and he was uncomfortable with that.


You are taking reasons for Dre leaving Death Row and putting your own ridiculous twist on them. Death Row was a disaster with everyone fighting amongst themselves. Dre left to get away from the childish and ridiculous antics.
@2GuysFromWI

Harbaugh will have Urban Meyer retired from OSU by 2020.
Quote 0 0
thebillwaltontrip
Dre was blasted in the media & on various tracks released by Death Row artists for being a phony and a poser following his departure from the label. Life at that label was a little too real there for he & his band of corny sidekicks.
Quote 0 0
dawgstyle
thebillwaltontrip wrote:
Dre was blasted in the media & on various tracks released by Death Row artists for being a phony and a poser following his departure from the label. Life at that label was a little too real there for he & his band of corny sidekicks.


Tell me more. Was Snoop one of his corny sidekicks? Did Eminem grow up rich too?

Anyone who is anyone in the rap industry holds Dre in the highest regards.
@2GuysFromWI

Harbaugh will have Urban Meyer retired from OSU by 2020.
Quote 0 0
notahomer
I think what thebillwaltontrip is getting at is Dres time with The World Class Wreckin Cru (see
and http://www.cracked.com/article_15826_six-musicians-with-pasts-they-hope-youll-forget.html ). It is kind of hard to take a dude dressed in a white body suit seriously even if it was the 80's. Pretty big transformation to N.W.A.

I'm not a rap industry insider and I have zero idea what regard anyone holds him in but going from the lyrics to "Surgery" to "You are now about to witness the strength of street knowledge" is a huge jump.
Quote 0 0
dawgstyle
notahomer wrote:
I think what thebillwaltontrip is getting at is Dres time with The World Class Wreckin Cru (see
and http://www.cracked.com/article_15826_six-musicians-with-pasts-they-hope-youll-forget.html ). It is kind of hard to take a dude dressed in a white body suit seriously even if it was the 80's. Pretty big transformation to N.W.A.

I'm not a rap industry insider and I have zero idea what regard anyone holds him in but going from the lyrics to "Surgery" to "You are now about to witness the strength of street knowledge" is a huge jump.


I love how caught up in lyrics people get...
@2GuysFromWI

Harbaugh will have Urban Meyer retired from OSU by 2020.
Quote 0 0
traviswilson
As mentioned in the Oakley thread, I got a pair of Sennheiser HD202 headphones for $25 from Amazon. The sound quality is very good, especially for the price. However, the earpads sit on my ears instead of surrounding them, making them incredibly uncomfortable. At the point now where I can't stand more than 15 minutes of wear, so sending them back.

Can anyone recommend a decent sounding set of headphones that are big enough to go around the ear instead of siting on them, for $50 or so?
The Packers/Badgers/Brewers are like your children; you don't love them because they're good, you love them because they're yours.
10/22/2010 -- 598,210 pageviews for WSN
Follow me on Twitter: @travisWSN
Quote 0 0
hgerner13
traviswilson wrote:
As mentioned in the Oakley thread, I got a pair of Sennheiser HD202 headphones for $25 from Amazon. The sound quality is very good, especially for the price. However, the earpads sit on my ears instead of surrounding them, making them incredibly uncomfortable. At the point now where I can't stand more than 15 minutes of wear, so sending them back.

Can anyone recommend a decent sounding set of headphones that are big enough to go around the ear instead of siting on them, for $50 or so?


The Sony ZX series has a few comfortable pairs of headphones with the prices ranging from $20-$70.
Quote 0 0
wissportsnet

Boys Basketball Alumni Round-up: February 21st, from @ColtonWilson23 #wisbb -- https://t.co/0K6CZzZWpf https://t.co/715tfpBGVS

wissportsnet

WSN15: Boys Basketball Top Teams #12 -- Two NCAA Division I players at one WIAA Division 4 school = state champions… https://t.co/1MThqzce9L

wissportsnet

Predicting winners of every state wrestling title plus a look By The Numbers, from @Nate_Woelfel -… https://t.co/HgU1bLP7d6

wissportsnet

Join the free Boys Basketball Playoff Pick 'Em Contest; Staff picks coming Tuesday #wisbb -- https://t.co/Y6yTA3OgP8 https://t.co/hA6Uyw9uje