mickjagger
This weekend's conference championship games will go a long ways in determining the CFP semi-finalists and New Years Six Bowl participants:

Check out the possibilities:
http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/winners-and-losers-in-fifth-college-football-playoff-rankings-include-utah-and-alabama/ar-BBXIHox

College Football Playoff Rankings, 12/3/19:
https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/rankings/
Wisconsin Sports Network Hall of Fame Inductee, 2012
Quote 0 0
riseagainst
The latest predictions I’ve seen (which I assume are based on Wisconsin losing to OSU) show Wisconsin in the Gator Bowl against either Tennessee or Kentucky. That would be extremely disappointing. Personally, I don’t think Wisconsin should be punished for having 2 losses to a team that very well may be the best team in the country. Penn St really doesn’t have a more impressive resume than Wisconsin. While they don’t have a bad loss, they don’t really have any great wins either. Their best game on their resume is a somewhat close loss to OSU, which was pretty much the result of OSU takin their foot off the gas.
University of Wisconsin Track and Field
Quote 0 0
mickjagger
riseagainst wrote:
The latest predictions I’ve seen (which I assume are based on Wisconsin losing to OSU) show Wisconsin in the Gator Bowl against either Tennessee or Kentucky. That would be extremely disappointing. Personally, I don’t think Wisconsin should be punished for having 2 losses to a team that very well may be the best team in the country. Penn St really doesn’t have a more impressive resume than Wisconsin. While they don’t have a bad loss, they don’t really have any great wins either. Their best game on their resume is a somewhat close loss to OSU, which was pretty much the result of OSU takin their foot off the gas.
Was the Gator Bowl prediction before or after the latest CFP rankings came out ?  A team's ranking/position in the final CFP poll due out, Sunday, 12/8, has a bearing on which Bowl (s) they may receive a bid to.  For example:  the highest ranked Big 10 team in the final CFP rankings, not playing in the CFP semi-finals, receives a bid to the Rose Bowl, regardless of its # of losses.  So, even if Wisconsin loses to Ohio St Saturday night, but they are the 2nd-highest ranked Big 10 team in the final CFP rankings (behind Ohio St, but ahead of Penn St), Wisconsin goes to the Rose Bowl, assuming Ohio St is going to the CFP semi-finals.  If the final CFP ranking on Sunday has Penn St ahead of Wisconsin, the Nittany Lions would head to Pasadena.  In that case, it appears the Badgers would head to the Cotton Bowl or Citrus Bowl.
Wisconsin Sports Network Hall of Fame Inductee, 2012
Quote 0 0
traviswilson
The completely unacceptable Illinois loss very well could (and should) hurt the Badgers significantly. I'd be a bit surprised if they took the Badgers over Penn State (assuming WI losses to O$U) for one of the New Year's Six bowls, unless Wisconsin plays a great game with a close loss against the Buckeyes.
The Packers/Badgers/Brewers are like your children; you don't love them because they're good, you love them because they're yours.
10/22/2010 -- 598,210 pageviews for WSN
Follow me on Twitter: @travisWSN
Quote 0 0
riseagainst
One thing that annoys me is given how Illinois has looked at times this year (surprisingly good), was the loss really that bad? I understand WI was a huge favorite in that game, but in hindsight, that 30 pt line was completely silly. Just like in hindsight, LSU’s “impressive” win over Texas (who was #9 at the time) is pretty much worthless now that Texas has shown to a be nothing more than an average team at best.

I would argue that Oklahoma’s loss to KSU was way worse than UW’s loss to Illinois, especially considering that Oklahoma was getting blown out, whereas Wisconsin had the Illinois game under control, barring that disastrous finish.
University of Wisconsin Track and Field
Quote 0 0
Charlie Tweeder
I'd respectfully take you up on that argument. Kansas State is a better team than 6-6 Illinois who just lost 29-10 at home to 3-9 Northwestern.

I'd love to see Bucky in the Rose Bowl, but I don't think the argument of "who had the worse loss" should be the determining factor. "Who did you beat" always trumps "who did you lose to," IMO.
Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory, lasts forever.

#GoPackGo
Quote 0 0
dawgstyle
I'm confused.  Wisconsin is 2 spots in front of Penn State.  Does anyone here really think that they aren't going to drop 2 spots if they get a 3rd loss, especially if it's ugly?  

I don't see how Wisconsin can make a new years 6.  You basically have to be in the top 10 to get in.  Virginia is going to steal a spot as well as the highest ranked G5.  That leaves 10 spots.  If Wisconsin loses, I think it is safe to assume they fall behind Auburn and likely behind Alabama. 

Once they fall out of the New Years Six it is a free for all.  The last 24 hours I have read a ton that the Citrus bowl who has the First Pick of Big Ten and SEC teams is leaning heaving towards taking Michigan and Alabama.  Due to the Outback bowl having to take 5 teams in a 6 year period and took Iowa twice, they likely have to take Minnesota.  The Holiday Bowl has the same restriction, but hasn't take a team twice, so they could take Wisconsin, but Iowa has never been there and by taking Iowa that means they could take anyone next year.

This is how the projections leave Wisconsin in the Gator bowl.
@2GuysFromWI

Harbaugh will have Urban Meyer retired from OSU by 2020.
Quote 0 0
riseagainst
I'd respectfully take you up on that argument. Kansas State is a better team than 6-6 Illinois who just lost 29-10 at home to 3-9 Northwestern.

I'd love to see Bucky in the Rose Bowl, but I don't think the argument of "who had the worse loss" should be the determining factor. "Who did you beat" always trumps "who did you lose to," IMO.


To your point, who has Penn St beat? Their best win was a close game at home to Michigan, which they probably would have lost with another 10 minutes added on the clock. By contrast, Wisconsin blew out Michigan. And unlike Penn St, Wisconsin actually beat Minnesota. 

I think Wisconsin has the better resume, but the major difference is (unfortunately) they have to play OSU twice.
University of Wisconsin Track and Field
Quote 0 0
riseagainst
dawgstyle wrote:
I'm confused.  Wisconsin is 2 spots in front of Penn State.  Does anyone here really think that they aren't going to drop 2 spots if they get a 3rd loss, especially if it's ugly?  

I don't see how Wisconsin can make a new years 6.  You basically have to be in the top 10 to get in.  Virginia is going to steal a spot as well as the highest ranked G5.  That leaves 10 spots.  If Wisconsin loses, I think it is safe to assume they fall behind Auburn and likely behind Alabama. 

Once they fall out of the New Years Six it is a free for all.  The last 24 hours I have read a ton that the Citrus bowl who has the First Pick of Big Ten and SEC teams is leaning heaving towards taking Michigan and Alabama.  Due to the Outback bowl having to take 5 teams in a 6 year period and took Iowa twice, they likely have to take Minnesota.  The Holiday Bowl has the same restriction, but hasn't take a team twice, so they could take Wisconsin, but Iowa has never been there and by taking Iowa that means they could take anyone next year.

This is how the projections leave Wisconsin in the Gator bowl.


Well Michigan just lost to OSU by like 40 at home (wait, I think OSU just scored again), and they only dropped 1 spot in the rankings. So clearly the committee respects OSU. So I don’t think it’s a stretch for Wisconsin to stay in the top 10 if they keep it respectable. Even a 2-3 touchdown loss without the blowout feel may be enough.
University of Wisconsin Track and Field
Quote 1 0
hodor64
riseagainst wrote:


Well Michigan just lost to OSU by like 40 at home (wait, I think OSU just scored again), and they only dropped 1 spot in the rankings. So clearly the committee respects OSU. So I don’t think it’s a stretch for Wisconsin to stay in the top 10 if they keep it respectable. Even a 2-3 touchdown loss without the blowout feel may be enough.


The Rose Bowl takes the highest ranked Big Ten team not in the Championship.  Loss to Illinois is worse than loss to Minnesota who was a top 10 team until last week.  Any loss for Bucky in the BIG10 Championship is going to drop them behind an idle PSU.   
Some hero's wear capes, others just hold the door!
RIP: Wyllis
Quote 0 0
hodor64
Getting away from Wisco-centrist talk.  If Georgia beats LSU, is there any performance by Okie or Utah that kicks Clemson out?  I agree that LSU and OSU are locks regardless of whether they win or lose, but both the Sooners and Utes play teams ranked in the top 15, would impressive wins give them a shot?  

I do not think there is anyway that they would put Utah in over Clemson, but I think Okie has an argument.  Clemson not only has a terrible schedule, but has failed at the eye test practically every game this year.  
Some hero's wear capes, others just hold the door!
RIP: Wyllis
Quote 0 0
traviswilson
hodor64 wrote:
Getting away from Wisco-centrist talk.  If Georgia beats LSU, is there any performance by Okie or Utah that kicks Clemson out?  I agree that LSU and OSU are locks regardless of whether they win or lose, but both the Sooners and Utes play teams ranked in the top 15, would impressive wins give them a shot?  

I do not think there is anyway that they would put Utah in over Clemson, but I think Okie has an argument.  Clemson not only has a terrible schedule, but has failed at the eye test practically every game this year.  

I don't see how they could keep out an unbeaten Power 5 team, no matter how weak their schedule.
The Packers/Badgers/Brewers are like your children; you don't love them because they're good, you love them because they're yours.
10/22/2010 -- 598,210 pageviews for WSN
Follow me on Twitter: @travisWSN
Quote 0 0
dawgstyle
riseagainst wrote:


Well Michigan just lost to OSU by like 40 at home (wait, I think OSU just scored again), and they only dropped 1 spot in the rankings. So clearly the committee respects OSU. So I don’t think it’s a stretch for Wisconsin to stay in the top 10 if they keep it respectable. Even a 2-3 touchdown loss without the blowout feel may be enough.


It felt more like they lost by 100.  But once Michigan lost, who can you argue ahead of them?  They destroyed ND.  After that, its pile of 3 loss or group of 5 teams so that isn't surprising.

If Wisconsin loses, how can you put them above Penn State, Florida, Auburn?  I just don't see how you can argue that.
@2GuysFromWI

Harbaugh will have Urban Meyer retired from OSU by 2020.
Quote 0 0
db11
I just find it odd that you can be penalized for earning the right to play an extra game that others didn't...but that's life in the CFP world.
https://twitter.com/barwickipedia - Follow me. Because we all need a bit of sports snark in our lives.

"Doin' right ain't got no end."
-The Outlaw Josey Wales

"'Allegedly' is right, Mr. Polian. I have a hole in my ear drum, I'd never go for a swim, no matter how drunk me is."
-Pat McAfee
Quote 1 0
dawgstyle
db11 wrote:
I just find it odd that you can be penalized for earning the right to play an extra game that others didn't...but that's life in the CFP world.


This is the world of large conferences with 2 divisions and unbalanced schedules.  This is why I respect the Big 12 above all else.  Everyone plays everyone and then the 2 best teams play at a neutral site to decide it all.  Minnesota got to miss Michigan and OSU.  Wisconsin got to miss Penn State.  Lots of teams didn't have to play @Iowa which is like the death curse of the Big Ten.  As long as this is the case, someone is always getting screwed.
@2GuysFromWI

Harbaugh will have Urban Meyer retired from OSU by 2020.
Quote 0 0
wissportsnet

Boys Basketball Alumni Round-up: February 21st, from @ColtonWilson23 #wisbb -- https://t.co/0K6CZzZWpf https://t.co/715tfpBGVS

wissportsnet

WSN15: Boys Basketball Top Teams #12 -- Two NCAA Division I players at one WIAA Division 4 school = state champions… https://t.co/1MThqzce9L

wissportsnet

Predicting winners of every state wrestling title plus a look By The Numbers, from @Nate_Woelfel -… https://t.co/HgU1bLP7d6

wissportsnet

Join the free Boys Basketball Playoff Pick 'Em Contest; Staff picks coming Tuesday #wisbb -- https://t.co/Y6yTA3OgP8 https://t.co/hA6Uyw9uje