yzerman1 Show full post »
blade12
dawgstyle wrote:
blade12 wrote:
dawgstyle wrote:
blade12 wrote:
yzerman1 wrote:
blade12 wrote:
For anyone who dislikes or disagrees with how the HOF voting is handled look no further than the 2 voters who did not vote for Maddux to support your argument for how flawed their system is.

How does Maddux not get 100% of the vote?



It was actually 16 voters who did not vote for Maddux. I know Ken Gurnick of MLB submitted a ballot with only Jack Morris on it. I heard a few writers say that Maddux was a slam dunk and didn't want to use a spot on their ballot with him because they more than 10 other players they wanted to put on their ballots. I have always felt that every voters ballot should be made public so they have to justify their vote.

I was also really surprised that Bonds and Clemens vote totals went down from the previous year. I thought they would have got around 50% this year. Now I am not so certain that they will ever get in to Cooperstown.


I would swear ESPN reported that it was only 2 ballots.

Not to vote for a guy who is deserving because there are others who may need the help of additional votes in order to get in is an admission of how watered down the HOF is becoming.


It is actually quite the opposite. Read Jayson Stark's article explaining his ballot. The problem is that some of these idiots don't vote for clear HOFs every year for one reason or another. Then when you hand a ballot to a man trying to do it the right way he only gets 10 votes.



I may be thinking Biggio missed by 2 not Maddux got all but 2 - my mistake.

This article? http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10253089/jayson-stark-2014-mlb-hall-fame-ballot

IDK, voting for someone because you don't know if others will or will not vote for him makes me question a persons integrity. Jayson Stark has no one to blame but his "professional" counterparts and the HOF for the current state of the voting system as when 1 voter turns in his ballot with only 1 name on it or Dan Le Batard turns his over to Deadspin that is a professionalism issue.


You get 10 votes. If you believe 12 HOFers are on the ballot, how does one decide? It's not a ranking system. Nowhere does it say you should compare the people to other people on the ballot. A person either IS or IS NOT an HOF. It really is that simple. How could someone be a HOF in 2012 and not be one in 2013? They don't play anymore. The criteria doesn't change. It makes no sense at all.

Le Batard was trying to prove a point and get things changed. We need more guys like him.

Stark can blame them all he wants, they don't answer to him. Read some of the stuff that he has written about HOF voting. If you still question his integrity then I think I will just avoid responding to you from here on out.


I am not questioning Stark's integrity, he voted for Maddux. Voters who left Maddux off the ballot in order to vote for others I do question. Maybe there are 10 or 12 HOF players on the ballot but the luck of the draw is that the BBWAA left some guys out in past years for whatever reason and they still fill the ballot today.
Quote 0 0
dawgstyle
blade12 wrote:
dawgstyle wrote:
blade12 wrote:
dawgstyle wrote:
blade12 wrote:
yzerman1 wrote:
blade12 wrote:
For anyone who dislikes or disagrees with how the HOF voting is handled look no further than the 2 voters who did not vote for Maddux to support your argument for how flawed their system is.

How does Maddux not get 100% of the vote?



It was actually 16 voters who did not vote for Maddux. I know Ken Gurnick of MLB submitted a ballot with only Jack Morris on it. I heard a few writers say that Maddux was a slam dunk and didn't want to use a spot on their ballot with him because they more than 10 other players they wanted to put on their ballots. I have always felt that every voters ballot should be made public so they have to justify their vote.

I was also really surprised that Bonds and Clemens vote totals went down from the previous year. I thought they would have got around 50% this year. Now I am not so certain that they will ever get in to Cooperstown.


I would swear ESPN reported that it was only 2 ballots.

Not to vote for a guy who is deserving because there are others who may need the help of additional votes in order to get in is an admission of how watered down the HOF is becoming.


It is actually quite the opposite. Read Jayson Stark's article explaining his ballot. The problem is that some of these idiots don't vote for clear HOFs every year for one reason or another. Then when you hand a ballot to a man trying to do it the right way he only gets 10 votes.



I may be thinking Biggio missed by 2 not Maddux got all but 2 - my mistake.

This article? http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10253089/jayson-stark-2014-mlb-hall-fame-ballot

IDK, voting for someone because you don't know if others will or will not vote for him makes me question a persons integrity. Jayson Stark has no one to blame but his "professional" counterparts and the HOF for the current state of the voting system as when 1 voter turns in his ballot with only 1 name on it or Dan Le Batard turns his over to Deadspin that is a professionalism issue.


You get 10 votes. If you believe 12 HOFers are on the ballot, how does one decide? It's not a ranking system. Nowhere does it say you should compare the people to other people on the ballot. A person either IS or IS NOT an HOF. It really is that simple. How could someone be a HOF in 2012 and not be one in 2013? They don't play anymore. The criteria doesn't change. It makes no sense at all.

Le Batard was trying to prove a point and get things changed. We need more guys like him.

Stark can blame them all he wants, they don't answer to him. Read some of the stuff that he has written about HOF voting. If you still question his integrity then I think I will just avoid responding to you from here on out.


I am not questioning Stark's integrity, he voted for Maddux. Voters who left Maddux off the ballot in order to vote for others I do question. Maybe there are 10 or 12 HOF players on the ballot but the luck of the draw is that the BBWAA left some guys out in past years for whatever reason and they still fill the ballot today.


So lets say you voted for 10 guys last year. None got in. How does one decide who they should leave off so they can vote for Maddux?

Do you see the problem there? Everytime you vote for a guy that doesn't get in, you are left with that problem. You can't control all those other people. Can one really say that last year Jack Morris was a HOFer but now that Maddux, Glavine and Thomas are here he isn't anymore? That doesn't make any sense at all.

So a guys looks at his ballot and says well I think 13 guys are HOFers. These 3 guys don't need my vote to get in so I am going to stick with the other 10 in an attempt to get them in.

Personally I think that is the a great example of having integrity.

P.S. the guy who only voted for Jack Morris is a moron.
@2GuysFromWI

Harbaugh will have Urban Meyer retired from OSU by 2020.
Quote 0 0
blade12
I'll agree the whole thing is messed up.
Quote 0 0
dawgstyle
blade12 wrote:
I'll agree the whole thing is messed up.


Agreed. How some of these guys get a vote is just absurd.
@2GuysFromWI

Harbaugh will have Urban Meyer retired from OSU by 2020.
Quote 0 0
blade12
dawgstyle wrote:
blade12 wrote:
I'll agree the whole thing is messed up.


Agreed. How some of these guys get a vote is just absurd.


Why doesn't MLB HOF just form a committee and review the names each year and then announce it? Change members of the committee every so often.
Quote 0 0
wr88
reberns wrote:
dawgstyle wrote:
spike64 wrote:
Not sure how some voters rationalize voting for Bonds or Clemens while not voting for Big Mac or Sammy Sosa. McGwire and Sosa were responsible for the most wildly popular baseball season ever.


Also, there should be more guys scribbling Pete Rose at the bottom of their ballots, regardless of his eligibility.


Neither Sosa nor McGwire have anywhere near the numbers that Bonds and Clemens have.

Sosa is also going to take hits because he used a corked bat. Which is against the rules.


McGwire and Sosa literally saved baseball. MLB got what they wanted and scapegoated them later.



What I have been saying for a long time. My Grandpa, who played in the St. Louis farm system, was so mad at MLB, and the Union after the strike that he actually stopped watching baseball.
But then came the Summer of Swing, and He started to watch again. I can remember visiting them down there and him and Grandma cranking the TV, and telling us kids to sit down and watch him bat.

Sosa, McGwire were and are scapegoats and although I will not defend the actions of drug use, I will defend their right of being in the Hall of Fame because without them, Baseball is as relevant as Soccer.
A Playoff will not be any more fair than the BCS.
No matter what happens, Favre > Rodgers.
St. Louis Cardinals = Class of MLB.
Carlos Gomez is the new Nyjer Morgan.....
Twitter
Quote 0 0
mickjagger
MLB HOF recap, final tally of votes, % of ballots, years on the ballot:
http://mlb.si.com/2014/01/08/maddux-glavine-thomas-elected-to-hall-of-fame-biggio-piazza-fall-just-short/?xid=nl_siextra
Wisconsin Sports Network Hall of Fame Inductee, 2012
Quote 0 0
coach40
wr88 wrote:
reberns wrote:
dawgstyle wrote:
spike64 wrote:
Not sure how some voters rationalize voting for Bonds or Clemens while not voting for Big Mac or Sammy Sosa. McGwire and Sosa were responsible for the most wildly popular baseball season ever.


Also, there should be more guys scribbling Pete Rose at the bottom of their ballots, regardless of his eligibility.


Neither Sosa nor McGwire have anywhere near the numbers that Bonds and Clemens have.

Sosa is also going to take hits because he used a corked bat. Which is against the rules.


McGwire and Sosa literally saved baseball. MLB got what they wanted and scapegoated them later.



What I have been saying for a long time. My Grandpa, who played in the St. Louis farm system, was so mad at MLB, and the Union after the strike that he actually stopped watching baseball.
But then came the Summer of Swing, and He started to watch again. I can remember visiting them down there and him and Grandma cranking the TV, and telling us kids to sit down and watch him bat.

Sosa, McGwire were and are scapegoats and although I will not defend the actions of drug use, I will defend their right of being in the Hall of Fame because without them, Baseball is as relevant as Soccer.


I was in this same boat. I hated that the WS never happened in 94. I felt it was a disgrace and a joke. I watched little baseball then because of it. In 1995 when Ripken surpassed Lou Gehrigs mark I took some interest but only in that. When Sosa and McGwire started their slugfest I become more interested. I went to games at the Dome to watch longball hitters.
Do or do not---there is no try
Master Yoda
Quote 0 0
wissportsnet

Boys Basketball Alumni Round-up: February 21st, from @ColtonWilson23 #wisbb -- https://t.co/0K6CZzZWpf https://t.co/715tfpBGVS

wissportsnet

WSN15: Boys Basketball Top Teams #12 -- Two NCAA Division I players at one WIAA Division 4 school = state champions… https://t.co/1MThqzce9L

wissportsnet

Predicting winners of every state wrestling title plus a look By The Numbers, from @Nate_Woelfel -… https://t.co/HgU1bLP7d6

wissportsnet

Join the free Boys Basketball Playoff Pick 'Em Contest; Staff picks coming Tuesday #wisbb -- https://t.co/Y6yTA3OgP8 https://t.co/hA6Uyw9uje