blade12
If you haven't paid attention you should.  This young lady from South Shore HS is having a heck of a Junior year at Iowa.

Avg 24+ ppg and 12+ reb/gm

9 time Player of the Week in the B1G.

Ranks in top 8 in 9 different stat catagories.   https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-women/article/2018-02-07/womens-basketball-iowas-megan-gustafson-ranks-top-8

I remember having conversations about Bobbi Kelsey and Tsipsis needing to land in state players like this around the time that coaching change was made.

Just an amazing season for her.
Quote 0 0
db11
Yeah, if you wanna know how miserable in-state recruiting for the Badgers has been...look no further.

Kelsey was an unmitigated disaster, and along with Gary Andersen, a reason I get nervous anytime Alvarez has to hire a coach.
https://twitter.com/barwickipedia - Follow me. Because we all need a bit of sports snark in our lives.

"Doin' right ain't got no end."
-The Outlaw Josey Wales

"'Allegedly' is right, Mr. Polian. I have a hole in my ear drum, I'd never go for a swim, no matter how drunk me is."
-Pat McAfee
Quote 0 0
traviswilson
Hannah Whitish (Barneveld) earned Second Team All-Conference honors.
The Packers/Badgers/Brewers are like your children; you don't love them because they're good, you love them because they're yours.
10/22/2010 -- 598,210 pageviews for WSN
Follow me on Twitter: @travisWSN
Quote 0 0
blade12
Gustafson was named MEDIA B1G POY.

Ohio State's Kelsey Mitchell was named Big COACHES POY.

https://www.blackheartgoldpants.com/2018/2/26/17055620/iowa-womens-basketball-megan-gustafson-named-big-ten-player-of-the-year-kathleen-doyle-all-big-ten
Quote 0 0
blade12
db11 wrote:
Yeah, if you wanna know how miserable in-state recruiting for the Badgers has been...look no further.

Kelsey was an unmitigated disaster, and along with Gary Andersen, a reason I get nervous anytime Alvarez has to hire a coach.


Yes it was bad and UW will need to catch or make a few breaks in order to take more than 1-2 steps in the right direction. I think they did that with Tsipsis and his priority to build relationships and attempts to recruit in state talent but it will take 2-3 more years before we see those fruits and recognize a "homegrown" roster.  One huge step for UW to overcome would be to finish in the middle 1/3 of the B1G and getting to +1 or +2 over .500 in conference with an upset W over a team or 2 in the top 1/3 of the conference. 

There are some impressive in state lady HS players to be had in the next 2-3 years. Let's see if UW can get 2-3 of them. 
Quote 0 0
mvcbruce
Megan is the leading scoring in the nation at Division 1.  I'd like to make you aware of the nation's #1 scorer in Division 2.
Jessica Kelliher from Waukesha was 2nd to Megan in scoring their senior year.  Jessica average 32 pts per game a Waukesha and 25 pts per game and 744 points while shooting 66.4% at Lewis University Flyers in the Great Lakes Valley Conference.  Two great scorers from Wisconsin leading the nation in scoring.  A reminder that Arika Ogunbowale (Notre Dame) was fourth in scoring in the state that season.  All three are juniors.  Lots of scoring coming out of Wisconsin. I'm expecting all three to have great senior years during 2018-19 season.
"Champions aren't born, you have to build them"
Quote 0 0
billybobble
And Megan Gustafson eclipsed most you poster's career totals in just one game with 48 points on Friday.
Quote 0 0
mickjagger
Port Wing, WI (South Shore H.S.) native Megan Gustafson, playing for the University of Iowa Hawkeyes, has been named Women's College Basketball's National Player of the Year by the Associated Press .

Gustafson, who was also a unanimous A.P. 1st-Team All-American, was joined by Notre Dame's Arike Ogunbowale (Divine Savior-Holy Angels H.S., Milwaukee) on the A.P. 2nd-Team and Marquette's Natisha Heideman (Green Bay Southwest H.S.) as an A.P. Honorable Mention selection.

Where was former Badger Women's Hoops Coach Bobbi Kelsey focusing her recruiting efforts ?

Travesty !

https://madison.com/wsj/sports/college/basketball/women/port-wing-native-megan-gustafson-named-college-women-s-basketball/article_5a71ee0d-4719-5a0e-959d-d81d63d15782.html#utm_source=madison.com&utm_campaign=%2Femail%2Fbadgerbeat&utm_medium=WhatCounts&utm_content=5D559092085BC880050104111A26A8920ACCC4B8 
Wisconsin Sports Network Hall of Fame Inductee, 2012
Quote 0 0
mickjagger
mickjagger wrote:
Port Wing, WI (South Shore H.S.) native Megan Gustafson, playing for the University of Iowa Hawkeyes, has been named Women's College Basketball's National Player of the Year by the Associated Press.

Gustafson, who was also a unanimous A.P. 1st-Team All-American, was joined by Notre Dame's Arike Ogunbowale (Divine Savior-Holy Angels H.S., Milwaukee) on the A.P. 2nd-Team and Marquette's Natisha Heideman (Green Bay Southwest H.S.) as an A.P. Honorable Mention selection.

Where was former Badger Women's Hoops Coach Bobbi Kelsey focusing her recruiting efforts ?

Travesty !

https://madison.com/wsj/sports/college/basketball/women/port-wing-native-megan-gustafson-named-college-women-s-basketball/article_5a71ee0d-4719-5a0e-959d-d81d63d15782.html#utm_source=madison.com&utm_campaign=%2Femail%2Fbadgerbeat&utm_medium=WhatCounts&utm_content=5D559092085BC880050104111A26A8920ACCC4B8 
Add the Naismaith POY Award to Gustafson's resume'
Wisconsin Sports Network Hall of Fame Inductee, 2012
Quote 0 0
blade12
Best women's player ever from Wisconsin?  I think one could make that argument.
Quote 0 0
dfnewburry
blade12 wrote:
Best women's player ever from Wisconsin?  I think one could make that argument.


No .








Quote 0 0
blade12
dfnewburry wrote:


No .

Who is and why?
Quote 0 0
eaglepride1
I do think there are some really good players from WI, but I think Blade has a great point. Megan seemed to really take Iowa to another level from where they'd been, and an Elite 8 appearance is impressive. She is a National Player of the Year, I think Nations' leading scorer, etc. -- How many women from WI have done those kinds of things? Like all debates of this nature, it's tough to argue different eras, bigs vs smalls, etc, but I agree with Blade. The argument is there to put her in an elite class. 
Quote 0 0
db11
I think the case for Arike is every bit as strong, FWIW...
https://twitter.com/barwickipedia - Follow me. Because we all need a bit of sports snark in our lives.

"Doin' right ain't got no end."
-The Outlaw Josey Wales

"'Allegedly' is right, Mr. Polian. I have a hole in my ear drum, I'd never go for a swim, no matter how drunk me is."
-Pat McAfee
Quote 0 0
blade12
db11 wrote:
I think the case for Arike is every bit as strong, FWIW...

Absolutely Arike is in this conversation along with Jolene Anderson and Misty Bass. Others?
Quote 0 0
wissportsnet

Boys Basketball Alumni Round-up: February 21st, from @ColtonWilson23 #wisbb -- https://t.co/0K6CZzZWpf https://t.co/715tfpBGVS

wissportsnet

WSN15: Boys Basketball Top Teams #12 -- Two NCAA Division I players at one WIAA Division 4 school = state champions… https://t.co/1MThqzce9L

wissportsnet

Predicting winners of every state wrestling title plus a look By The Numbers, from @Nate_Woelfel -… https://t.co/HgU1bLP7d6

wissportsnet

Join the free Boys Basketball Playoff Pick 'Em Contest; Staff picks coming Tuesday #wisbb -- https://t.co/Y6yTA3OgP8 https://t.co/hA6Uyw9uje