wisconsinpgc
I saw this yesterday and thought it might be of interest to some individuals.....

Heart 'O North Conference Football Championships

1. Bloomer - 24 (2005)
2. Rice Lake - 22 (1985)
3. Ladysmith/Hawkins - 10 (2006)
4. Spooner - 9 (1996)
5. Maple Northwestern - 7 (2004)
6. Barron - 4 (1990)
6. Cumberland - 4 (1998)
8. Hayward - 2 (1987)
9. Chetek - 1 (2007)
the ONLY ADIDAS Youth Sponsored Boy's Basketball Program in Wisconsin ..... We Are What We Are...Real Ballers Period. R U Next?
Quote 0 0
easy30
I was just digging in a bunch of my grandma's old photographs and I came across the 1944 HON champions (Bloomer) team picture. My grandfather was a part of this team. Since he was only 5'4" and barely broke 145 he was a manager. It was pretty sweet to see this. My grandma said eight months later he was on a ship to Japan to fight out WWII, but found out on the boat the war was over. They did win the 1944-45 basketball championship too. My grandpa was the point guard and I found a photo of him holding the ball with knee pads on!!!! Crazy stuff.
Quote 0 0
billybobble
Quote:
ORIGINAL: WisconsinPGC

Great Point!

Also, Rice Lake and Bloomer were almost identical in total championships when Rice Lake left for the Big Rivers in 1985-86 for Football. In 1989-90, both Bloomer and Rice Lake left the HON for the Middle Border and Big Rivers respectively.

Bloomer returned to the HON in the late 90's.

I would have to believe that Bloomer would have several additional championships as well since they beat the HON conference champion on more than one occassion in a nonconference game during some of those same year.

I simply thought it would be interesting for all to see....congrats to Jay Dachel and the Chetek Bulldogs for winning their first HON championship this past fall.


I seriously doubt that statement. It took them close to twenty years to finally beat Northwestern. Add the two NFL titles Northwestern had and not bad since joining in '75.
Quote 0 0
splunk
Rice Lake's number would probably be around 40 today if they had stayed in the HoN.
"Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony." - Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Quote 0 0
wisconsinpgc
Great Point!

Also, Rice Lake and Bloomer were almost identical in total championships when Rice Lake left for the Big Rivers in 1985-86 for Football. In 1989-90, both Bloomer and Rice Lake left the HON for the Middle Border and Big Rivers respectively.

Bloomer returned to the HON in the late 90's.

I would have to believe that Bloomer would have several additional championships as well since they beat the HON conference champion on more than one occassion in a nonconference game during some of those same year.

I simply thought it would be interesting for all to see....congrats to Jay Dachel and the Chetek Bulldogs for winning their first HON championship this past fall.
the ONLY ADIDAS Youth Sponsored Boy's Basketball Program in Wisconsin ..... We Are What We Are...Real Ballers Period. R U Next?
Quote 0 0
billybobble
Quote:
ORIGINAL: dfnewburry

I was shocked to see Maple Northwestern with only 7 titles, lets roll out playoff victories and see where they are ?


Northwwestern also won two "NFL" titles during the mid 90's when the ill fated Northwest Football League was started. Add those two and consider Northwestern did not win their first until 1987 and 9 in 21 years is okay. However, two consecutive 1-8 seasons are currently in the digestive system.
Quote 0 0
dfnewburry
I was shocked to see Maple Northwestern with only 7 titles, lets roll out playoff victories and see where they are ?








Quote 0 0
billybobble
Quote:
ORIGINAL: dfnewburry

I was shocked to see Maple Northwestern with only 7 titles, lets roll out playoff victories and see where they are ?


Northwwestern also won two "NFL" titles during the mid 90's when the ill fated Northwest Football League was started. Add those two and consider Northwestern did not win their first until 1987 and 9 in 21 years is okay. However, two consecutive 1-8 seasons are currently in the digestive system.
Quote 0 0
abdulla1000_old
Yes, two 1-8 seasons are done with already, and I was apart of one of them. Northwestern had its 3rd new coaching change in three years, and he changed up the program. This past season, 8 out of 11 starters on both sides of the ball were sophmores and juniors. Lets face it: You can't beat senior dominated teams w/ young kids. But, do not underestimate Northwestern this fall. They have a very talented group coming back (there whole starting O and D pretty much), along with one of Northwestern's old veteran coaches taking over the head coaching position. I'm not being cocky, but Northwestern could very well turn some heads next season if work hard at it.
Quote 0 0
MBC2K4_old
I remember going to Durand/Bloomer games in the early 1990s back when my brother was in school and watching Randy Stearns from Bloomer just shred apart the field. The guy was like the real life incarnation of Bo Jackson from Techno Bowl.
CURRENT RING COUNT
MBC2K4: 0
LeBron James: 0

I AM THE CHOSEN ONE!!!
Quote 0 0
billybobble
Quote:
ORIGINAL: MBC2K4

I remember going to Durand/Bloomer games in the early 1990s back when my brother was in school and watching Randy Stearns from Bloomer just shred apart the field. The guy was like the real life incarnation of Bo Jackson from Techno Bowl.


I think that was a Middle Border game (s) as Bloomer was in the MBC for a few years.
Quote 0 0
MBC2K4_old
Yeah, I was kind of getting at Bloomer possibly having even more HON titles if they hadn't been in the MBC back then. I don't know how their teams did in the MBC standings when they were in our conference but I remember that Stearns kid was a machine, so I'd assume they had some pretty decent teams while he was there too.
CURRENT RING COUNT
MBC2K4: 0
LeBron James: 0

I AM THE CHOSEN ONE!!!
Quote 0 0
wisconsinpgc
billybobble.....I respectfully disagree. Bloomer had several teams while in the Middle Border (with Stearns especially) that would have won the HON and beat Northwestern. 1990...Bloomer finishes 7-2 with a seven point loss to Ellsworth (D3 State Champs) and a 1 point loss in overtime to Mondovi (D4 runners-up). One example.

Northwestern beat bloomer in 1987 & 1988 and then again for several years during the NFL for 6 straight wins. The series is still not real close yet with Bloomer having 2 winning streaks longer than those 6.

Northwestern is certainly on the road back to the conference elite. Chetek winning the league championship last season was a good thing and it would be nice to see Cumberland or Hayward win one at some point again as well.

Not to even care about things that are impossible to prove....bottom line, Bloomer has a winning recored head-to-head against every single team including Northwestern in the HON. No one else can claim such a thing.

It's looking like championship #25 for Bloomer or #3 for Hayward this season. 3 weeks left and a lot can happen.
the ONLY ADIDAS Youth Sponsored Boy's Basketball Program in Wisconsin ..... We Are What We Are...Real Ballers Period. R U Next?
Quote 0 0
parmelee
WisconsinPGC wrote:


billybobble.....I respectfully disagree.? Bloomer had several teams while in the Middle Border (with Stearns especially) that would have won the HON and beat Northwestern.? 1990...Bloomer finishes 7-2 with a seven point loss to Ellsworth (D3 State Champs) and a 1 point loss in overtime to Mondovi (D4 runners-up).? One example.

Northwestern beat bloomer in 1987 & 1988 and then again for several years during the NFL for 6 straight wins.? The series is still not real close yet with Bloomer having 2 winning streaks longer than those 6.




Northwestern won every meeting against Bloomer from 1987 to 2000. ?Maybe Bloomer has the edge in 1990 and/or 1991 (when I believe Spooner may have won a few titles, so I won't assume that Bloomer would have beat them), but Northwestern had a deep playoff run in 1992 and was the state runner up in 1993. ?They played each other as part of the NFL in 1994 and 1995 and Northwestern won both times. Then, when back in the HON, Northwestern won every game from 1996 to 2000. ?That's a stretch of serious domination, even though lots of the games came down to the final plays. So maybe you can assume one more HON title for Bloomer? ?But in those first four years of the 1990s, I'm not sure you should assume anything more than that. ?


Quote 0 0
easy30
Parmelee wrote:


WisconsinPGC wrote:


billybobble.....I respectfully disagree. Bloomer had several teams while in the Middle Border (with Stearns especially) that would have won the HON and beat Northwestern. 1990...Bloomer finishes 7-2 with a seven point loss to Ellsworth (D3 State Champs) and a 1 point loss in overtime to Mondovi (D4 runners-up). One example.

Northwestern beat bloomer in 1987 & 1988 and then again for several years during the NFL for 6 straight wins. The series is still not real close yet with Bloomer having 2 winning streaks longer than those 6.




Northwestern won every meeting against Bloomer from 1987 to 2000. Maybe Bloomer has the edge in 1990 and/or 1991 (when I believe Spooner may have won a few titles, so I won't assume that Bloomer would have beat them), but Northwestern had a deep playoff run in 1992 and was the state runner up in 1993. They played each other as part of the NFL in 1994 and 1995 and Northwestern won both times. Then, when back in the HON, Northwestern won every game from 1996 to 2000. That's a stretch of serious domination, even though lots of the games came down to the final plays. So maybe you can assume one more HON title for Bloomer? But in those first four years of the 1990s, I'm not sure you should assume anything more than that.


The 1994 Northwestern/Bloomer matchup was one of the best football games I have ever seen. Future University of Wisconsin standout Tom Burke played for Maple Northwestern and was an absolute beast. A man amongst boys in the literal sense of the word. I remember it coming down to a last drive for Bloomer that was stopped inside Northwestern's 15 yard line. A very good game. If anyone has some old articles on that game or remembers it I would be very interested.

I also remember Bloomer getting smoked by Northwestern in the early 90s. They had a great fan base and traveled very well. I remember some pretty crazy fans from Northwestern back then. Bloomer's field was the greatest football field back then because the fans sat so close to the field and just had a great atmosphere.
Quote 0 0
wissportsnet

Boys Basketball Alumni Round-up: February 21st, from @ColtonWilson23 #wisbb -- https://t.co/0K6CZzZWpf https://t.co/715tfpBGVS

wissportsnet

WSN15: Boys Basketball Top Teams #12 -- Two NCAA Division I players at one WIAA Division 4 school = state champions… https://t.co/1MThqzce9L

wissportsnet

Predicting winners of every state wrestling title plus a look By The Numbers, from @Nate_Woelfel -… https://t.co/HgU1bLP7d6

wissportsnet

Join the free Boys Basketball Playoff Pick 'Em Contest; Staff picks coming Tuesday #wisbb -- https://t.co/Y6yTA3OgP8 https://t.co/hA6Uyw9uje