nyybball

 Who Wins? 54  votes

 Iola-Scandinavia 44 votes
81%
 Racine Lutheran 10 votes
18%
This poll has been closed.
Discuss the game here....
Quote 1 0
Michael Gardner
This is going to be a fun game. It looks pretty even based on how each team played in Level 4. I’m going with RaLu but this will be a tight one.
Quote 0 0
jess23

I admit, Racine Lutheran is a better team than I thought.  Besides a scare in Level 1, they have crushed competition.  

However, I will go with Iola Scandinavia.  They beat two really good teams (Amherst and Grantsburg).  Grantsburg specifically has size, speed, talent, and toughness.  

Iola Scandinavia 35
Racine Lutheran 21


Quote 0 0
Michael Gardner
Pec/Argyle was just a bad matchup for RaLu, they got through it and showed their muscle the rest of the way. This should be close.
Quote 0 0
db11
Pec/Argyle was just a bad matchup for RaLu, they got through it and showed their muscle the rest of the way. This should be close.


But what was it that made Pec/Argyle a bad matchup for RaLu? My inclination is they were able to somewhat match RaLu's size and physicality in the trenches...something the last three opponents have not been able to do. In RaLu's two losses, that I know for a fact was the case. I was actually surprised at how small Lancaster was...and then they compounded things by having their LBs playing so close to the line. This often led to them getting caught in the wash and then Tenner basically only had to out-run one guy to get to the edge. He broke a ton of tackles yesterday but most of the time Lancaster was able to bring him down for reasonable gains. Tenner and Houston did most of their damage on plays where the defense didn't even lay a hand on them...mainly the sweeps, draws and counters.

Iola-Scandinavia represents a different kind of team than the last three opponents RaLu saw, so trying to base any kind of prediction of off that is a bit difficult. I will say that I-S has far better line play (they're substantially bigger too) than Lancaster and their RB, much like Tenner is a two-way hoss. If the Thunderbirds can be effective in hitting Tenner and Houston near the LOS and wrap them up they're gonna be in pretty good shape. The same goes for RaLu stopping Huettner.

All things considered I-S has played as strong (if not maybe stronger) schedule than Racine Lutheran. You don't go through the CWC-Large like they did without being real good.

I think this has the potential to be a very good game, but if Tenner can't get loose enough, I'm not sure RaLu can pull it off.

I-S 33
RaLu 25
https://twitter.com/barwickipedia - Follow me. Because we all need a bit of sports snark in our lives.

"Doin' right ain't got no end."
-The Outlaw Josey Wales

"'Allegedly' is right, Mr. Polian. I have a hole in my ear drum, I'd never go for a swim, no matter how drunk me is."
-Pat McAfee
Quote 0 0
Michael Gardner
db11 wrote:


But what was it that made Pec/Argyle a bad matchup for RaLu? My inclination is they were able to somewhat match RaLu's size and physicality in the trenches...something the last three opponents have not been able to do. In RaLu's two losses, that I know for a fact was the case. I was actually surprised at how small Lancaster was...and then they compounded things by having their LBs playing so close to the line. This often led to them getting caught in the wash and then Tenner basically only had to out-run one guy to get to the edge. He broke a ton of tackles yesterday but most of the time Lancaster was able to bring him down for reasonable gains. Tenner and Houston did most of their damage on plays where the defense didn't even lay a hand on them...mainly the sweeps, draws and counters.

Iola-Scandinavia represents a different kind of team than the last three opponents RaLu saw, so trying to base any kind of prediction of off that is a bit difficult. I will say that I-S has far better line play (they're substantially bigger too) than Lancaster and their RB, much like Tenner is a two-way hoss. If the Thunderbirds can be effective in hitting Tenner and Houston near the LOS and wrap them up they're gonna be in pretty good shape. The same goes for RaLu stopping Huettner.

All things considered I-S has played as strong (if not maybe stronger) schedule than Racine Lutheran. You don't go through the CWC-Large like they did without being real good.

I think this has the potential to be a very good game, but if Tenner can't get loose enough, I'm not sure RaLu can pull it off.

I-S 33
RaLu 25


I wasn’t at the Pec/Argyle game so I can’t say for certain why that was but, based on size alone I think it’s safe to say that RaLu tends to struggle against teams that are similarly sized to them. The thing that makes this interesting is RaLu’s overall team speed. They have some kids that are very fast and I can’t say I know a whole lot about Iola-Scandinavia, Huettner being the main player is the only thing I really know about Iola. I don’t even know how big their guys are because their team profile on WSN doesn’t list all the players sizes. This is going to be a battle of the Backfields no doubt about it. I think RaLu has a chance if they can minimize what Huettner does on offense(which is easier said then done.) Whichever team can hold the other teams Backfield in check has the best chance to win this game. RaLu can throw the ball too btw. Kraus has a great arm and knows how to read the game very well. Don’t be surprised if Coach Smith calls a few screen passes or check downs to keep Iola off balance. 
Quote 0 0
jess23



I wasn’t at the Pec/Argyle game so I can’t say for certain why that was but, based on size alone I think it’s safe to say that RaLu tends to struggle against teams that are similarly sized to them. The thing that makes this interesting is RaLu’s overall team speed. They have some kids that are very fast and I can’t say I know a whole lot about Iola-Scandinavia, Huettner being the main player is the only thing I really know about Iola. I don’t even know how big their guys are because their team profile on WSN doesn’t list all the players sizes. This is going to be a battle of the Backfields no doubt about it. I think RaLu has a chance if they can minimize what Huettner does on offense(which is easier said then done.) Whichever team can hold the other teams Backfield in check has the best chance to win this game. RaLu can throw the ball too btw. Kraus has a great arm and knows how to read the game very well. Don’t be surprised if Coach Smith calls a few screen passes or check downs to keep Iola off balance. 




I was at the Grantsburg/Iola game.  Here is some footage of Grantsburg vs Iola (not mine).  Iola has some size on the line, and they can cause havoc on both sides of the ball. They are very physical and athletic.  Iola's QB is very underrated.  He hurt Grantsburg as bad as Huettner did on some gashes up the middle.  I've watched  some real good backs in recent years, Floyd from Springs, both Chenals from Grantsburg, Johnson from Darlington, and Glass from Lancaster.  Huettner is better than all of them. Not sure if you can see from the video but Grantsburg has some real big athletic kids on their team and Iola got the job done.  As I said before, Regis, Iola, and Grantsburg were all pretty even and would have a chance to making it to state in Division 5.  Iola for the most part  kept Wisconsin Badger Recruit Leo Chenal in check. Leo averages over 13 yards a carry, over 2,000 yards for the season, and is an absolute animal on defense. He's 6'3" and 225lbs.  Runs a 4.5 forty and benches around 375lbs.  RaLu doesn't have anyone as good as Huettner or Chenal but you would be hard pressed to find any team in the small school division with a two headed monster as good as what RaLu has.  I'm  hoping for a close game since the last five years it's been pretty one sided for the most part.  

Quote 0 0
db11


I wasn’t at the Pec/Argyle game so I can’t say for certain why that was but, based on size alone I think it’s safe to say that RaLu tends to struggle against teams that are similarly sized to them. The thing that makes this interesting is RaLu’s overall team speed. They have some kids that are very fast and I can’t say I know a whole lot about Iola-Scandinavia, Huettner being the main player is the only thing I really know about Iola. I don’t even know how big their guys are because their team profile on WSN doesn’t list all the players sizes. This is going to be a battle of the Backfields no doubt about it. I think RaLu has a chance if they can minimize what Huettner does on offense(which is easier said then done.) Whichever team can hold the other teams Backfield in check has the best chance to win this game. RaLu can throw the ball too btw. Kraus has a great arm and knows how to read the game very well. Don’t be surprised if Coach Smith calls a few screen passes or check downs to keep Iola off balance. 


Oh, I know. They didn't need to yesterday. Certainly a wild card if they're struggling to get Tenner in space. I know they hit one for a TD in the P/A game.
https://twitter.com/barwickipedia - Follow me. Because we all need a bit of sports snark in our lives.

"Doin' right ain't got no end."
-The Outlaw Josey Wales

"'Allegedly' is right, Mr. Polian. I have a hole in my ear drum, I'd never go for a swim, no matter how drunk me is."
-Pat McAfee
Quote 0 0
Michael Gardner
db11 wrote:


Oh, I know. They didn't need to yesterday. Certainly a wild card if they're struggling to get Tenner in space. I know they hit one for a TD in the P/A game.


This is looking to be a close game. Something tells me that Iola’s record in state game may come to haunt them. I just have a weird feeling in my bad knee. In all seriousness though this looks to be an even game on paper despite what people want to say. The north may have dominated recently but the south hasn’t had a team with RaLu’s size these past few years that could compete with the north. Tenner is by far the best back to come from Racine since Clay in my eyes. Sorry Garcia but Tenner has you beat. When you have a kid with a chance at a state record next year that says quite a lot about a player.
Quote 0 0
jess23


This is looking to be a close game. Something tells me that Iola’s record in state game may come to haunt them. I just have a weird feeling in my bad knee. In all seriousness though this looks to be an even game on paper despite what people want to say. The north may have dominated recently but the south hasn’t had a team with RaLu’s size these past few years that could compete with the north. Tenner is by far the best back to come from Racine since Clay in my eyes. Sorry Garcia but Tenner has you beat. When you have a kid with a chance at a state record next year that says quite a lot about a player.


Not true.  Look at '16 Darlington.  Looking back at their roster top to bottom they were bigger than current RaLu, and they had the 2016 Offensive Player of the Year.  And they still got stuffed at state.  Don't underestimate the toughness of the teams from the North.  
Quote 0 0
newmen
I've got Iola-Scandinavia.

Teams that return to Madison the year after losing in the championship game almost always win in their second try.
WSN's All-Time Lowest Score
I was in Wissports Illustrated
Pick 'Em Champ: 2011 Cloverbelt BB, '11 State Football Playoffs
Quote 0 0
dfnewburry
newmen wrote:
I've got Iola-Scandinavia.

Teams that return to Madison the year after losing in the championship game almost always win in their second try.


History of those who lose and then win...

Iowa Grant 76-77
DeForest 81-82
Beloit Turner 87-88
Kenosha Tremper 90-91
Appleton West 91-92
Edgar 91-92
Menomonie 94-95
Darlington 94-95
Germantown 97-98
Slinger 97-98
Edgar 98-99
Lancaster 99-00
Edgar 00-01
Waunakee 01-02
Regis 02-03
Wisconsin Lutheran 03-04
Gilman 05-06
Arrowhead 06-07
Eleva Strum 06-07
Homestead 07-08
Reedsburg 08-09
Bigfoot 08-09
Edgar 08-09
West DePere 09-10
Kewaunee 09-10
Colby 10-11
FDL Springs 10-11
Somerset 11-12
Lancaster 13-14
Amherst 14-15
Catholic Memorial 15-16

SCC, Iola Scandanavia , and Black Hawk can do it this year .








Quote 1 0
db11
And then of course you have a case like Darlington in D6...where they lose four straight title games.
https://twitter.com/barwickipedia - Follow me. Because we all need a bit of sports snark in our lives.

"Doin' right ain't got no end."
-The Outlaw Josey Wales

"'Allegedly' is right, Mr. Polian. I have a hole in my ear drum, I'd never go for a swim, no matter how drunk me is."
-Pat McAfee
Quote 0 0
jess23
db11 wrote:
And then of course you have a case like Darlington in D6...where they lose four straight title games.


You just had to say it didn't you? 🙂      Fun fact, Darlington Cross Country ended up getting runner up four years in a row back in the 90s, and then won four in the row about five years ago. You just never know.  
Quote 0 0
smokin
jess23 wrote:


You just had to say it didn't you? 🙂      Fun fact, Darlington Cross Country ended up getting runner up four years in a row back in the 90s, and then won four in the row about five years ago. You just never know.  

The Darlington Boys Cross Country team won 6 state titles in a row (2011-2016).  They also won in 1985 and 1986.
Quote 0 0
wissportsnet

Boys Basketball Alumni Round-up: February 21st, from @ColtonWilson23 #wisbb -- https://t.co/0K6CZzZWpf https://t.co/715tfpBGVS

wissportsnet

WSN15: Boys Basketball Top Teams #12 -- Two NCAA Division I players at one WIAA Division 4 school = state champions… https://t.co/1MThqzce9L

wissportsnet

Predicting winners of every state wrestling title plus a look By The Numbers, from @Nate_Woelfel -… https://t.co/HgU1bLP7d6

wissportsnet

Join the free Boys Basketball Playoff Pick 'Em Contest; Staff picks coming Tuesday #wisbb -- https://t.co/Y6yTA3OgP8 https://t.co/hA6Uyw9uje