voiceofreason Show full post »
buzzerbeater2
I had that in a varsity game once. Actually got the lead official to count the layup being shot at the time of the T, even though she missed it (he took his eyes off the ball).
Mike McCarthy is challenging the ruling on the field that he has 3 timeouts remaining.
Charter member of the WSN 1000-post Culb.

* - Banned for life from any WSN "Hall of Fame."

Quote 0 0
mj11
smsnyder wrote:
We had a fairly interesting one in a youth game. On a steal & a breakaway, player from team A was a couple of steps away from an uncontested layup when the referee blew his whistle and called a technical on team B's coach. Basket wasn't allowed, team A shot 2 FTs (missed both) and got the ball. They did score on the resulting possession. But team A's gripe (and I think rightfully so) was that the technical took points off the board and had their shot not dropped & team B rebounded, team B would have benefited from the technical. Though I suppose, if layup is counted & it's two FTs plus the ball, it could turn into a 6 or 7 point possession.

I get the idea that you cannot award points - if the whistle is blown before the shot, you have to stop play. But in that situation, I'd think the practice would be to not stop play and let it complete before stopping to call the technical. Is that correct, how most would handle it - let the kid make his layup and then call the T?

Interestingly enough, the official apologized after the game. Not to team A, but to team B's coaches for calling the T at all. Admitted it really shouldn't have been called.


There is a case book play for this situation. It states the official is supposed to delay the whistle until after the layup is completed, then issue the T.

Case play is 10.5.1 Situation F for those with rule books.
Quote 0 0
newmen
mj11 wrote:
newmen wrote:
A blunder of epic proportions on my part this weekend at a youth tournament. Couldn't find anything about it in the rule book or case book this weekend. How would anyone else have handled the following situation?

Black 53 commits his 5th foul. I was never notified by the scorers. White goes to the line to shoot bonus free throws and misses the first of a one-and-one. Black 53 collects the rebound and is fouled by a player on white. I was then notified by the scorers that 53 should have been fouled out. Black is in double bonus.

Here is what I did. Cleared the lane. Black 53 shot both free throws. Black 53 is substituted out of the game. Possession to White on a jump ball.

What do you guys think?


Once you are made aware Black 53 fouled out, he must leave the game. His substitute shoots the free throws and you play on from there.
Thanks for all of the feedback from everyone on this. My thinking was that the kid who got fouled should shoot the free throws.

I didn't think it would be right to not shoot free throws just because you fouled a disqualified player. You committed a foul and the other team should shoot free throws.

I'm not sure I would have gone back and had White reshoot as safetysqueezplay said. Did Black 53 being in the game put White at a disadvantage in his FTs.

Either way, the coaches didn't seem too ticked about it. I was just checking in with you guys to see if anyone had a definitive answer. Thanks again!
WSN's All-Time Lowest Score
I was in Wissports Illustrated
Pick 'Em Champ: 2011 Cloverbelt BB, '11 State Football Playoffs
Quote 0 0
smsnyder
newmen wrote:

Either way, the coaches didn't seem too ticked about it. I was just checking in with you guys to see if anyone had a definitive answer. Thanks again!


Seems to me, if you handle it in a reasonable manner, and are calm & confident, 9 times out of ten coaches are going to be OK with it - whether it's technically perfect or not. Especially given having to make a quick decision in the moment, it sure sounds to me like you handled it well.

I think it would be wrong to not award the FTs to black's team - just that a disqualified individual shouldn't be the one shooting them. No matter how you do it, something has to give...not having fouled player shoot the FTs seems the best option to me, has the least impact on the game.
Quote 0 0
buzzerbeater2
What is the deal with the "bobble" signal? I get that it is a great way to cop out of a traveling call, but why can't I just "bobble" the ball all the way down the court?
Mike McCarthy is challenging the ruling on the field that he has 3 timeouts remaining.
Charter member of the WSN 1000-post Culb.

* - Banned for life from any WSN "Hall of Fame."

Quote 0 0
pippin
Player A gets on the floor to secure a loose ball. He may or may not have complete control of the ball when Player B jumps on top of him, making significant body contact but puts one hand on the ball. Ref calls jump ball.

I see this every game. Why is this not a foul on Player B?

If the players are up right and this much body contact occurs it is almost always results in a foul. Player B certainly has the right to compete for a loose ball, but they shouldn't be able jump on a downed player and fight for the ball like a fumble in football.
Quote 0 0
coach40
buzzerbeater2 wrote:
What is the deal with the "bobble" signal? I get that it is a great way to cop out of a traveling call, but why can't I just "bobble" the ball all the way down the court?

Intentional vs accidental
Do or do not---there is no try
Master Yoda
Quote 0 0
whistleblower1
pippin wrote:
Player A gets on the floor to secure a loose ball. He may or may not have complete control of the ball when Player B jumps on top of him, making significant body contact but puts one hand on the ball. Ref calls jump ball.

I see this every game. Why is this not a foul on Player B?

If the players are up right and this much body contact occurs it is almost always results in a foul. Player B certainly has the right to compete for a loose ball, but they shouldn't be able jump on a downed player and fight for the ball like a fumble in football.


If significant contact occurs, it should be called a foul.

And you see this happen in every single game you attend? 
Without officials, it would just be recess!
Quote 0 0
pippin
No, that was poor wording by me.

What I meant is that every time I do see this happen, it results in a jump ball. Or at least a no-call if one player does manage to pass the ball up to a teammate.

I can't remember ever seeing Player B called for a foul. 
Quote 0 0
db11
There is an argument to be made that most jump ball calls could actually be foul calls.

Very rarely does a jump ball happen cleanly...but loose balls tend to lead to more allowed contact. Nature of the game.
https://twitter.com/barwickipedia - Follow me. Because we all need a bit of sports snark in our lives.

"Doin' right ain't got no end."
-The Outlaw Josey Wales

"'Allegedly' is right, Mr. Polian. I have a hole in my ear drum, I'd never go for a swim, no matter how drunk me is."
-Pat McAfee
Quote 0 0
whistleblower1
Good point Dan. I will admit that many of my jump ball calls are just a simple way to stop the action and avoid the inevitable train wreck that is about to happen.
Without officials, it would just be recess!
Quote 0 0
luv2watchhssports

This might be more of an ethical question then a rules question.

What do you think of a father of a player who's child plays for a team who leads the conference standings, officiating a game played by the conference co leader vs another conference possible contender for the championship?  Shouldn't this individual remove themselves from this officiating assignment due to the fact that it puts them in a very questionable position where one call can show a bias toward his child's team winning a conference championship??

Quote 0 0
traviswilson
luv2watchhssports wrote:

This might be more of an ethical question then a rules question.

What do you think of a father of a player who's child plays for a team who leads the conference standings, officiating a game played by the conference co leader vs another conference possible contender for the championship?  Shouldn't this individual remove themselves from this officiating assignment due to the fact that it puts them in a very questionable position where one call can show a bias toward his child's team winning a conference championship??


I certainly don't think it's ideal. Personally, if I was the AD or commish doing the scheduling, I would try to avoid that situation.
The Packers/Badgers/Brewers are like your children; you don't love them because they're good, you love them because they're yours.
10/22/2010 -- 598,210 pageviews for WSN
Follow me on Twitter: @travisWSN
Quote 0 0
coach40
traviswilson wrote:

I certainly don't think it's ideal. Personally, if I was the AD or commish doing the scheduling, I would try to avoid that situation.


I agree with Travis. If I were to see this, I would ask the scheduler to possibly seek out a replacement for the game. Too many bad things can happen
Do or do not---there is no try
Master Yoda
Quote 0 0
db11
coach40 wrote:


I agree with Travis. If I were to see this, I would ask the scheduler to possibly seek out a replacement for the game. Too many bad things can happen


Could be tough depending on where this is given ref shortages.

I'm trying to remember how it was handled back circa '02-'05 when Bo Richter was playing at Waukesha South, and his father Fritz was (and still is) a prominent area official.

Actually, since Bo is now the coach at South, I guess how it is still handled today!
https://twitter.com/barwickipedia - Follow me. Because we all need a bit of sports snark in our lives.

"Doin' right ain't got no end."
-The Outlaw Josey Wales

"'Allegedly' is right, Mr. Polian. I have a hole in my ear drum, I'd never go for a swim, no matter how drunk me is."
-Pat McAfee
Quote 0 0
wissportsnet

Boys Basketball Alumni Round-up: February 21st, from @ColtonWilson23 #wisbb -- https://t.co/0K6CZzZWpf https://t.co/715tfpBGVS

wissportsnet

WSN15: Boys Basketball Top Teams #12 -- Two NCAA Division I players at one WIAA Division 4 school = state champions… https://t.co/1MThqzce9L

wissportsnet

Predicting winners of every state wrestling title plus a look By The Numbers, from @Nate_Woelfel -… https://t.co/HgU1bLP7d6

wissportsnet

Join the free Boys Basketball Playoff Pick 'Em Contest; Staff picks coming Tuesday #wisbb -- https://t.co/Y6yTA3OgP8 https://t.co/hA6Uyw9uje