mickjagger
THE TOURNAMENT: The 70th Annual Wisconsin Interscholastic Athletic Association Spring Baseball State Tournament will take place Tuesday-Thursday, June 13-15, at Neuroscience Group Field at Fox Cities Stadium in Grand Chute, Wis. Ticket prices for the tourney are $8 per session and $14 for an all-day admission ticket. Tickets are available at the stadium.

TOURNAMENT SCHEDULE AND PAIRINGS: The State Spring Baseball Tournament features four divisions. The single elimination tournament includes eight teams in Division 1 and four each in Divisions 2, 3 and 4. The second game of each session will follow the first game.

Tuesday, June 13

Division 1 Quarterfinals - 8 a.m.
Game 1 - Hartland Arrowhead (21-4) vs. Burlington (21-4)
Game 2 - Beloit Memorial (18-10) vs. Sun?Prairie (22-6)*

Division 1 Quarterfinals - 1 p.m.
Game 3 - Eau Claire North (21-2) vs. Green Bay Preble (29-0)
Game 4 - Waunakee (18-8) vs. Kimberly (19-7)*

Division 1 Semifinals - 6 p.m.
Game 5 - Winner of Game #1 vs. Winner of Game #2
Game 6 - Winner of Game #3 vs. Winner of Game #4*

Wednesday, June 14

Division 4 Semifinals - 8 a.m.
Game 1 - Webster (21-6) vs. Independence/Gilmanton (22-5)
Game 2 - Athens (19-7) vs. Oakfield (19-4)*

Division 3 Semifinals - 1 p.m.
Game 1 - Cumberland (18-6) vs. LaCrosse Aquinas (19-10)
Game 2 - Iola-Scandinavia (17-6) vs. Laconia (12-11)*

Division 2 Semifinals - 6 p.m.
Game 1 - West Salem (22-4) vs. Beloit Turner (25-3)
Game 2 - Mosinee (15-9) vs. Waupun (25-5)*

* Begins approximately 35 min. following game 1 of session

Thursday, June 15

Division 4 Final - 9:05 a.m.
Game 3 - Winner of Game #1 vs. Winner of Game #2

Division 3 Final - 12:05 p.m.
Game 3 - Winner of Game #1 vs. Winner of Game #2

Division 2 Final - 3:05 p.m.
Game 3 - Winner of Game #1 vs. Winner of Game #2

Division 1 Final - 6:05 p.m.
Game 7 - Winner of Game #5 vs. Winner of Game #6

Team & Game Previews:
http://www.wissports.net/news_article/show/801631?referrer_id=532521
Wisconsin Sports Network Hall of Fame Inductee, 2012
Quote 0 0
mickjagger
Kimberly (19-7) heads into its Tuesday afternoon D-1 quarterfinal vs Waunakee (18-8) without the services of one of its 3 top pitchers & starting shortstop. Senior 3-sport standout Danny VandenBoom, who will be a freshman quarterback for the UW Badgers' football team this fall, broke his foot in last week's WIAA sectionals.

VandenBoom tied with teammate Davis Matz for the best W-L record on the team at 6-1. VandenBoom also led Kimberly with a 1.40 ERA over 50 innings pitched, striking out 32 batters, walking 17 and a WHIP of 1.12.

At the plate, VandenBoom (the Papermakers' shortstop when not pitching) batted .329 with a .422 on-base percentage, 14 runs scored and 14 RBI's.
Wisconsin Sports Network Hall of Fame Inductee, 2012
Quote 0 0
blade12
What time did that Kimberly vs EC North game start last night?
Quote 0 0
sam20
blade12 wrote:
What time did that Kimberly vs EC North game start last night?
Supposedly 11:30. Should have never been played at that time.
Quote 0 0
formerwiacbaseballer
mickjagger wrote:
Kimberly (19-7) heads into its Tuesday afternoon D-1 quarterfinal vs Waunakee (18-8) without the services of one of its 3 top pitchers & starting shortstop. Senior 3-sport standout Danny VandenBoom, who will be a freshman quarterback for the UW Badgers' football team this fall, broke his foot in last week's WIAA sectionals.

VandenBoom tied with teammate Davis Matz for the best W-L record on the team at 6-1. VandenBoom also led Kimberly with a 1.40 ERA over 50 innings pitched, striking out 32 batters, walking 17 and a WHIP of 1.12.

At the plate, VandenBoom (the Papermakers' shortstop when not pitching) batted .329 with a .422 on-base percentage, 14 runs scored and 14 RBI's.

How nice would it be now to have VandenBoom's services for the D1 State Championship game Thursday?

Great job by Coach McGinnis and the rest of the Papermaker's overcoming the loss of VandenBoom and managing to still win a pair of games to earn a berth in the D1 State Championship game. It's a great example of the "next man up" mentality and seems to show a team that is pretty "mentally tough." I guess it shouldn't really be a surprise though!!!
"Let's Play Two!!!"

Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

"There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."
Quote 0 0
mickjagger
Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Division 1 Quarterfinals

Hartland Arrowhead (22-4) 11
Burlington (21-5) 1

Sun?Prairie (23-6) 2
Beloit Memorial (18-11) 1

Eau Claire North (22-2) 9
Green Bay Preble (29-1) 0

Kimberly (20-7) 11
Waunakee (18-9) 2

All Scores Final
Wisconsin Sports Network Hall of Fame Inductee, 2012
Quote 0 0
formerwiacbaseballer
sam20 wrote:
blade12 wrote:
What time did that Kimberly vs EC North game start last night?
Supposedly 11:30. Should have never been played at that time.

Well, I would be willing to bet the Laconia/Iola Scandinavia game will be played even if it is an 11:30 start tonight so that the winner doesn't have a competitive advantage/disadvantage. Once one of the games is played, there are going to get the other game in at all costs in order to "level" the playing field.

Now with that said, it wouldn't surprise me to see the D2 semifinals pushed back to Thursday morning if they don't think they can get both games in tonight following the final D3 semifinal.
"Let's Play Two!!!"

Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

"There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."
Quote 0 0
mickjagger
mickjagger wrote:
Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Division 1 Quarterfinals

Hartland Arrowhead (22-4) 11
Burlington (21-5) 1

Sun?Prairie (23-6) 2
Beloit Memorial (18-11) 1

Eau Claire North (22-2) 9
Green Bay Preble (29-1) 0

Kimberly (20-7) 11
Waunakee (18-9) 2

All Scores Final

Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Division 1 Semifinals

Sun Prairie (24-6) 6
Hartland Arrowhead (22-5) 5

Kimberly (21-7) 2
Eau Claire North (22-3) 1

All Scores Final
Wisconsin Sports Network Hall of Fame Inductee, 2012
Quote 0 0
mickjagger
mickjagger wrote:
Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Division 1 Quarterfinals
Hartland Arrowhead (22-4) 11
Burlington (21-5) 1

Sun?Prairie (23-6) 2
Beloit Memorial (18-11) 1

Eau Claire North (22-2) 9
Green Bay Preble (29-1) 0

Kimberly (20-7) 11
Waunakee (18-9) 2

Division 1 Semifinals
Sun Prairie (24-6) 6
Hartland Arrowhead (22-5) 5

Kimberly (21-7) 2
Eau Claire North (22-3) 1

All Scores Final

Wednesday, June 14

Division 4 Semifinals
Independence/Gilmanton (23-5) 5
Webster (21-7) 3

Athens (20-7) 6
Oakfield (19-5) 3

Division 3 Semifinals
LaCrosse Aquainas (20-10) 7
Cumberland (18-7) 0

Laconia (13-11) 5
Iola-Scandinavia (17-7) 4

Division 2 Semifinals
West Salem (23-4) 5
Beloit Turner (25-4) 3

Waupun (26-5) 6
Mosinee (15-10) 0

All Scores Final
Wisconsin Sports Network Hall of Fame Inductee, 2012
Quote 0 0
banks93
formerwiacbaseballer wrote:
mickjagger wrote:
Kimberly (19-7) heads into its Tuesday afternoon D-1 quarterfinal vs Waunakee (18-8) without the services of one of its 3 top pitchers & starting shortstop. Senior 3-sport standout Danny VandenBoom, who will be a freshman quarterback for the UW Badgers' football team this fall, broke his foot in last week's WIAA sectionals.

VandenBoom tied with teammate Davis Matz for the best W-L record on the team at 6-1. VandenBoom also led Kimberly with a 1.40 ERA over 50 innings pitched, striking out 32 batters, walking 17 and a WHIP of 1.12.

At the plate, VandenBoom (the Papermakers' shortstop when not pitching) batted .329 with a .422 on-base percentage, 14 runs scored and 14 RBI's.

How nice would it be now to have VandenBoom's services for the D1 State Championship game Thursday?

Great job by Coach McGinnis and the rest of the Papermaker's overcoming the loss of VandenBoom and managing to still win a pair of games to earn a berth in the D1 State Championship game. It's a great example of the "next man up" mentality and seems to show a team that is pretty "mentally tough." I guess it shouldn't really be a surprise though!!!


Maybe Kimberly will get some more transfers in next years freshman class. Injuries don't hurt some programs when you have multiple kids transferring in every year at an early age.[rotfl]

Don't forget the Lechnir boys transferred in to this team.
Quote 0 0
blade12
sam20 wrote:
blade12 wrote:
What time did that Kimberly vs EC North game start last night?
Supposedly 11:30. Should have never been played at that time.


If a coach wanted to be a jerk could he have argued that a pitcher that threw 31 in a game beginning on Tues at 11:30pm can't throw at all on Wed at 12:00am.
Quote 0 0
mickjagger
mickjagger wrote:
mickjagger wrote:
Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Division 1 Quarterfinals
Hartland Arrowhead (22-4) 11
Burlington (21-5) 1

Sun?Prairie (23-6) 2
Beloit Memorial (18-11) 1

Eau Claire North (22-2) 9
Green Bay Preble (29-1) 0

Kimberly (20-7) 11
Waunakee (18-9) 2

Division 1 Semifinals
Sun Prairie (24-6) 6
Hartland Arrowhead (22-5) 5

Kimberly (21-7) 2
Eau Claire North (22-3) 1

All Scores Final

Wednesday, June 14

Division 4 Semifinals
Independence/Gilmanton (23-5) 5
Webster (21-7) 3

Athens (20-7) 6
Oakfield (19-5) 3

Division 3 Semifinals
LaCrosse Aquainas (20-10) 7
Cumberland (18-7) 0

Laconia (13-11) 5
Iola-Scandinavia (17-7) 4

Division 2 Semifinals
West Salem (23-4) 5
Beloit Turner (25-4) 3

Waupun (26-5) 6
Mosinee (15-10) 0

All Scores Final

Championship Thursday, June 15

Division 4 Final - 9:05 a.m.
Independence-Gilmanton (23-5)
vs Athens (20-7)

Division 3 Final - 12:05 p.m.
LaCrosse Aquinas (20-10)
vs Laconia (Brandon/Rosendale) (13-11)

Division 2 Final - 3:05 p.m.
West Salem (23-4)
vs Waupun (26-5)

Division 1 Final - 6:05 p.m.
Kimberly (21-7)
vs Sun Prairie (24-6)
Wisconsin Sports Network Hall of Fame Inductee, 2012
Quote 0 0
dkelly28
formerwiacbaseballer wrote:
sam20 wrote:
blade12 wrote:
What time did that Kimberly vs EC North game start last night?
Supposedly 11:30. Should have never been played at that time.

Well, I would be willing to bet the Laconia/Iola Scandinavia game will be played even if it is an 11:30 start tonight so that the winner doesn't have a competitive advantage/disadvantage. Once one of the games is played, there are going to get the other game in at all costs in order to "level" the playing field.

Now with that said, it wouldn't surprise me to see the D2 semifinals pushed back to Thursday morning if they don't think they can get both games in tonight following the final D3 semifinal.


That happens every few years or so. I remember quite well the 2008 D2 State Semifinal between Waupun and Prairie du Chien that also started around 11-11:30 pm...game finished around 12:30-1 am. Our fan bus got back to PdC around 4:30-5 am...only to get back on the bus at 8 am and drive up for the Championship game, only to get postponed to the next day because of severe weather and not make it back to Prairie until 1 am that morning. Crazy 3 days that year.
WSN'er since 2002! 2006 Wissports Hall of Fame Inductee.
Quote 0 0
formerwiacbaseballer
mickjagger wrote:
banks93 wrote:
formerwiacbaseballer wrote:
mickjagger wrote:
Kimberly (19-7) heads into its Tuesday afternoon D-1 quarterfinal vs Waunakee (18-8) without the services of one of its 3 top pitchers & starting shortstop. Senior 3-sport standout Danny VandenBoom, who will be a freshman quarterback for the UW Badgers' football team this fall, broke his foot in last week's WIAA sectionals.

VandenBoom tied with teammate Davis Matz for the best W-L record on the team at 6-1. VandenBoom also led Kimberly with a 1.40 ERA over 50 innings pitched, striking out 32 batters, walking 17 and a WHIP of 1.12.

At the plate, VandenBoom (the Papermakers' shortstop when not pitching) batted .329 with a .422 on-base percentage, 14 runs scored and 14 RBI's.

How nice would it be now to have VandenBoom's services for the D1 State Championship game Thursday?

Great job by Coach McGinnis and the rest of the Papermaker's overcoming the loss of VandenBoom and managing to still win a pair of games to earn a berth in the D1 State Championship game. It's a great example of the "next man up" mentality and seems to show a team that is pretty "mentally tough." I guess it shouldn't really be a surprise though!!!


Maybe Kimberly will get some more transfers in next years freshman class. Injuries don't hurt some programs when you have multiple kids transferring in every year at an early age.[rotfl]

Don't forget the Lechnir boys transferred in to this team.

I don't believe a couple Lechnir boys transferring into the Kimberly school district is the excuse you're looking for Banks93.

The Kimberly school district encompasses the fastest growing area in Fox Valley (southeast) along with the Hortonville/Greenville area (northwest). The enrollment has grown significantly over the last 10 years resulting in a new high school having to be built, the high school moving to D-1 from D-2 in every sport , the football team winning 4 consecutive state championships, the baseball team going to state 4 out of the past 5 years and the boys track team also winning a state championship this spring, making it 3 boys state championships (football, track, baseball) in the 2016-17 school year.

But why bother attributing some solid tangibles to Kimberly's 2017 baseball state championship when it's so convenient to blame a couple freshman with baseball-linked last names for transferring to Kimberly, providing the program with a bit of depth? [huh]

Because it would be too much to actually give credit to where it is due..... Easier to just be all "sour grapes" about it instead.

Who cares that Kimberly sent a kid (sophomore Cade Hunstiger) to the mound making just his second varsity start of the season in the State Championship game and held a solid Sun Prairie to two runs over six innings.

As far as the Lechnir boys go, I don't see why it's any different than any other kid who has to change schools after a parent loses their job and has to relocate. If their last name was Smith, Jones, Banks, or Williams would it even be brought up?
"Let's Play Two!!!"

Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

"There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."
Quote 0 0
formerwiacbaseballer
blade12 wrote:
sam20 wrote:
blade12 wrote:
What time did that Kimberly vs EC North game start last night?
Supposedly 11:30. Should have never been played at that time.


If a coach wanted to be a jerk could he have argued that a pitcher that threw 31 in a game beginning on Tues at 11:30pm can't throw at all on Wed at 12:00am.

And the opposing coach would have been able to do the same thing, so what's the point?

Thankfully common sense prevailed instead and everyone understood the extenuating circumstances surrounding things. I'm sure this "issue" was brought up before the games started so that everyone was on the same page.
"Let's Play Two!!!"

Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

"There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."
Quote 0 0
wissportsnet

Boys Basketball Alumni Round-up: February 21st, from @ColtonWilson23 #wisbb -- https://t.co/0K6CZzZWpf https://t.co/715tfpBGVS

wissportsnet

WSN15: Boys Basketball Top Teams #12 -- Two NCAA Division I players at one WIAA Division 4 school = state champions… https://t.co/1MThqzce9L

wissportsnet

Predicting winners of every state wrestling title plus a look By The Numbers, from @Nate_Woelfel -… https://t.co/HgU1bLP7d6

wissportsnet

Join the free Boys Basketball Playoff Pick 'Em Contest; Staff picks coming Tuesday #wisbb -- https://t.co/Y6yTA3OgP8 https://t.co/hA6Uyw9uje