Here is how I see the standings playing out.
1 Whitewater ( with 14 total starters back they wont have to fill many holes. The biggest hole to fill will be the loss of Coach Leipold, but they stayed in house and hired Kevin Bullis as head coach. He has been with the team for years so not much will change as far as coaching system goes maybe just style. They will once again compete for a national crown.
2. Oshkosh ( The titans may have been 6-4 last year but 3 of their losses came against NAIA schools or D1AA schools as well as whitewater so they didn't play bad despite a disappointing record. Kasper and Hecker appear to be future studs in this league and being that both are only sophomores they will still have minor growing pains, but should be able to lead a great offense this year. They will challenge Whitewater for the top spot and being that the game is in Oshkosh I believe it wouldn't shock me to see titans upset them this year at home again. This team is one to keep an eye on in upcoming years as they are young and will only be better.
3. Platteville ( The theme for the Pioneers lately is just coming up short. They seem to have the talent to beat whitewater and Oshkosh in some years but fail to capitalize when they play eachother. THis year however, it wouldn't shock me to see a three way tie at the top of the standings if UWO can upset UWW at titan stadium and then Platteville beats UWO in Platteville because UWW wont lose at home to anyone. If this scenario happens their is a great chance three WIAC teams make playoffs where any one if not all three could make deep runs. This should be an exciting time in WIAC as I think the gap is closing on Whitewater slowly, but closing non the less.
4. Stevens Point ( The Pointers took major strides last year and showed great improvement, but once conference play hit they stepped back again. This team has talent, but the problem is the top three teams have so much more talent that it makes point constantly stuck in the middle. Could this team pull off some upsets, sure they can, but I just don't see that happening. They will be in almost every game, but the talent isn't quite good enough to take that step forward.
5. La Crosse ( Eagles are coming off a terrible year and should be much improved. The problem with the WIAC is that the top of the league is so much better than the bottom half, you almost are guaranteed 4 losses out of gate unless you can pull off upsets. The bottom of this league should be a log jam, but la crosse is the best of the bottom half of league.
6. Stout ( Blue devils are a mystery team to me. I think they could either finish last, or find a way to finish 4/5. They always play 4 or 5 solid games where they just cant put teams away or make that one stop that could turn the tide. Change some of their luck and this team could surprise some to me.
7. River Falls ( The Falcons have been at the bottom of the league for I believe the last 4 or 5 years. THey have started to show minor signs of improvement however. Lots of young players will now start to turn the corner and I believe they will start to be more competitive and win more games.
8. Eau Claire( Blugolds are in free fall mode right now. THey used to have a respectable program, but now find themselves in a situation where they may not win more than 1 conference game if any at all. Something needs to change in this program and if Coach Glasser doesn't show improvement this year I don't see him back next year.
Does anyone know why Superior does not have a football team. Their high school has a lot of success up there and they pull a lot of people from UP and northern minnestoa. I am sure they could have enough to form a football team. They could prolly do better than a few teams too,.